The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » COIL by Jay Sankey (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Filip Struzka
View Profile
New user
Czech rep.
21 Posts

Profile of Filip Struzka
I can't say exactly what is the difference between a gimmick, magic prop or which objects are somewhere in the middle. I think it is for single topic and discussion but... When I was younger, the word "gimmick" was really magical for me. When I heard gimmick, that trick has gimmick or it has a gimmick, the whole bunch of gimmicks, I was fascinated and I wanted to buy it because I was interested in some special rubber bands, or in secret spaces and so on, I mean I like some gadgets. I don't want to buy COIL but if it contains just standart nails I think it is overpriced, but please, I can't judge because I am not from the USA.
Also there is one thing which is not the best for me about Jay, it is that his trailers are usually without any real people, no real performances.
I am very young so I don't know about Jay's previous releases.
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
I'm probably going to surprise some of now. I actually like this and would consider buying it.

There you go.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4810 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Quote:
On May 17, 2015, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
I'm probably going to surprise some of now. I actually like this and would consider buying it.

There you go.

Blooming hell Jamie, have you had a knock on the head fella,lol.
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Special user
Changing the world with my
988 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
Quote:

There you go.

You've never been quite right since you got your third eye !!!
Saturn UK
View Profile
Inner circle
2654 Posts

Profile of Saturn UK
Quote:

There you go.

I'm not sure about this one either but if you want to buy it I'll do it at cost so you can report back!
www.saturnmagic.co.uk

#theshopwithstock Pleased to be different!

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/saturnmagic.co.uk
NFW
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1002 Posts

Profile of NFW
O dear he's at it again....!!
Legendary Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
The Wizard , The Legend 162,885,947,3659,
1695 Posts

Profile of Legendary Wizard
Ah hah lol something's wrong ~ very wrong ... I wonder what you're going to do with it though ...
" Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one " ...

- Albert Einstein
mikenewman
View Profile
Inner circle
Kent Island, Maryland
1114 Posts

Profile of mikenewman
Really? $40 + shipping for this??
I love Jay and have learned a ton from him...
This make me sad.

It will make others sad if they buy this.
KenDoddsDeadDadsDog
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of KenDoddsDeadDadsDog
Quote:
On May 4, 2015, Judah Vee wrote:
This seems to be an extended rehash of He11bent he put out a few years ago.........

I can't believe Sankey would rehash something he'd previously put out. Sounds hokey to me.
James Conti
View Profile
Elite user
My mum isn't too pleased about my
425 Posts

Profile of James Conti
COIL is a project from Jay Sankey which covers a tonne of methods for bending nails. He teaches bends that happen in your hands, in the spectators hands and even isolated in a glass of a coke can. One of the featured bends is where the nail bends into the shape of a ring, which you can then wear throughout the rest of your show, if you so wish.

In the DVD you receive an ungimmicked nail, a bent nail, a gimmicked nail, a nail bent into the shape of a ring, as well as a couple of supplies to complete the gimmick. The props are of great quality and will last forever.

The method for the majority of the bends relies on a gimmick which you can wear on you at all times without worrying about it getting in the way. Some sleight of hand methods are also covered on the DVD too. The gimmick allows you to bend the nail and end completely clean afterwards, with your hands completely empty.

Some methods are more deceptive than others, and some IMO were sort of stupid. The variation where the nail goes into a Coke can and bends inside didn't really do it for me, as he then has to cut open the can with a key or a knife to reveal the bent nail. He recommends doing that in a school Caféteria, which is ridiculous, as at my school it will probably get you suspend due to it being a safety hazard. But the method where the nail bends in the glass is far superior and actually looks great!

The DVD is very well produced and Jay Sankey teaches the effects in great detail, and gives you a plethora of ideas to use the Coil concept with. Sound, lighting and production quality is all top knotch.

If bending nails is an effect you are wanting to add into your repertoire, then this is a great resource to get ideas from. I also recommend checking out Nailed by Dee Christopher, which is a great download on nail bending over at Ellusionist. $40 is a little steep in my opinion, but there are a lot of cool ideas on the Coil DVD. 9/10
Check out my teenage point of view magic reviews here:
http://ireviewmagic.weebly.com

Watch my reviews here - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVbu_9bC71_H8BYM8YL9geg
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Bràth
3640 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Against the wisdom of the crowd on this thread I went ahead and bought it, as I said I might.

I like it and will use it.

There are gimmicks supplied in addition to the nails that allow for some very clean displays.

I'd compare it to Pencyclopedia by Tom Crosbie but for bending nails. It's a veritable encyclopaedia of moves and routines.

Recommended. Smile
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3777 Posts

Profile of takeachance
I wouldn't want to bend a nail into a ring, just was too magic tricky. I do like nails for bending effects though. If you just want to show and hand out a slightly bent nail, does this bring anything new to the table? Is the gimmick for a slight bend or the full ring bend?
CoffeeWithMagic
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of CoffeeWithMagic
Quote:
On Jun 6, 2015, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
Against the wisdom of the crowd on this thread I went ahead and bought it, as I said I might.

I like it and will use it.

There are gimmicks supplied in addition to the nails that allow for some very clean displays.

I'd compare it to Pencyclopedia by Tom Crosbie but for bending nails. It's a veritable encyclopaedia of moves and routines.

Recommended. Smile

I'm guessing at a $10 price, you would recommend to the doubters in this thread even more?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » COIL by Jay Sankey (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL