We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Locking Hinge for Multiplying Bottles Case / Tray (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
I'm trying to design a case to hold multiplying bottles in their compact form. The case then folds open to form a tray on which the act is performed and which can be picked up and carried off. I'm trying to come up with a clever way of locking the folded down sides in their "tray" position so it can be picked up and it is a rigid tray. I'm looking to keep bulk down as much as possible. I've looked for locking hinges but don't see anything that fits the bill. I was thinking of using flush mount butler tray hinges but they don't lock. Alternatively, the sides may not need to hinge but could have two positions and be removed from one position and inserted in the second position. The key is making them lock in position for carrying a) as a case and b) as a tray.

Any clever hardware that might fit the bill you can think of?

Click here to view attached image.
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
StevieDee
View Profile
Regular user
Salt Lake City area
154 Posts

Profile of StevieDee
My first thought is to use a conventional hinge then a turnbuckle on the top to keep the tray from folding when open. You might also consider this:
http://www.rockler.com/surface-mounted-hinge
The biggest problem with tricky hinges like these is that they are large and bulky. Your tray won't look much like a tray unless you use fringe or something to hide it when open.

Regardless, I'll be interested to see what you finally decide to use.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I like your idea. You can use concealed barrel hinges for the fold-down sides. You'll see them when the box is closed, but not when the tray is open. The bottom and top with be perfectly flat. They can be a little tricky to mount, but should be worth the effort.

Use a pair of flat surface bolts to lock the tray sides open. Mount them so they two bolts are on the swing-down sides and the striker plates are both on the common center section (they will slide toward each other to lock). Mount them on your side of the case and they will not be seen while performing.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
Thanks for the ideas.

StevieDee, I always thought a turnbuckle was for tightening cables. Maybe you meant something else.

Michael, my only concern with barrel hinges (other than tricky to install) is that in the closed position the force when carrying the case will be in the direction of "pulling out" the barrell. I like the flat surface bolt suggestion. I'm looking at the options there.

I'll post updates as I progress (slowly....).
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On May 6, 2015, TheRaven wrote:

Michael, my only concern with barrel hinges (other than tricky to install) is that in the closed position the force when carrying the case will be in the direction of "pulling out" the barrell. I like the flat surface bolt suggestion. I'm looking at the options there.

Installing them is much easier if you make a jig for alignment of the mounting holes. I don't know how much weight you figure on having to carry with the closed case, but The barrel hinges that I've used have an adjustment screw that tightens them in the mounting hole(s). The downward force would be entirely on that center section, and distributed equally over 4 hinges.

Jim Riser gave me a great solution years ago (thanks, Jim!)... if you are having to install any part of the hinge into end grain (where strength would be compromised), route out a channel and replace the void with a suitable hardwood, properly oriented for maximum strength.

But, if that is too much work...not sure if either a knife hinge or a quadrant hinge would work in this application.

Another idea might be to have the moving parts self-hinging, with pivot pins through the sides, instead of actual applied hardware hinges. Look up wooden hinges, and you should see what I'm hitting at. I did this recently with some nested boxes, so there would be not hardware on the outside where it would get in the way.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
Thanks Michael.
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
Thanks Michael. I didn't realize barrel hinges had a mechanical tightening device. I'm envisioning that the tray will have handles and when the sides fold up the handles will become caring handles for the case which is why I was thinking about the direction of force. Really I think butler tray hinges will be fine. It was the "locking" part I was struggling with. Your idea on flat surface bolts is the way to go.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Butler tray hinges should work great... as long as your project doesn't look like this when you're done: (LOL!)

http://lumberjocks.com/assets/pictures/reviews/329471.jpg

FYI on barrel hinges in case you ever need to use them down the road...

http://www.wwgoa.com/video/installing-ba......-003131/
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
750 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Personally, I'd use soss hinges. They've got a lot more strength.
http://www.hafele.co.uk/shop/c/cabinet-h......ges/4908
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On May 9, 2015, Ray Tupper. wrote:
Personally, I'd use soss hinges. They've got a lot more strength.
http://www.hafele.co.uk/shop/c/cabinet-h......ges/4908

Well, yeah... if having the best of both worlds is really THAT important... Smile
~michael baker
The Magic Company
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
Quote:
On May 9, 2015, Michael Baker wrote:
Butler tray hinges should work great... as long as your project doesn't look like this when you're done: (LOL!)

Oh my! Those screws are way to short to be secure.. Smile
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
11157 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
I see it more as a sure way to get your palm RED.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Locking Hinge for Multiplying Bottles Case / Tray (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.25 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL