The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Backwards Fingertip Muscle Pass? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

KenRyan
View Profile
Elite user
464 Posts

Profile of KenRyan
I wanted to report this and ask for opinions on the matter. I am learning Kainoa Harbottle's "Fingertip Muscle Pass." His video has helped me a lot. I for sure have done it correctly a few times:-). Now it's just down to refining it so it is correct all the time.

But here is the reason for post. I started up the video today so I could practice, and I found myself suddenly shooting the coin super fast and flat! I was shocked. It was incredible. I wondered how it had improved so much in just a day or two. THEN I looked down at my hand and realized I was doing it backwards! It started out in the same position, But instead of pulling the thumb back in toward the palm, the fingers jutting out toward the target, I was launching the coin with my thumb going out toward the target and my fingers coming back in toward the palm. "Darn," I thought to myself.

Then I got to wondering why this was so bad. I turned to my practice mirror and yes, the thumb pushing toward the target makes a more obvious movement and is easier to see than the correct way, but the effect was still very cool. The speed of the coin still seems impossible given the movement of the launching fingers.

It is definitely not as good in terms of that more obvious movement. So you can't hide it by turning the palm out as Kainoa does in his video.

But I wondered if this move as I described it - the backwards or reverse fingertip muscle pass - could still be useful. Or if, indeed, anyone actually uses it this way?

Thanks!

Ken
Lawrens Godon
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1065 Posts

Profile of Lawrens Godon
Hi Ken,

The way you described it (thumb moving toward the target) is the way I do it also.

The reason is because I don't own any video about the move, I re-discovered it myself while playing with coins Smile
Now I'm trying the other way, but I prefer the thumb move ^^

By the way, I don't think there's much finger move to be detected using the thumb (at least in my hands)...

Cheers !
KenRyan
View Profile
Elite user
464 Posts

Profile of KenRyan
Quote:
On May 6, 2015, Lawrens Godon wrote:
Hi Ken,

The way you described it (thumb moving toward the target) is the way I do it also.

The reason is because I don't own any video about the move, I re-discovered it myself while playing with coins Smile
Now I'm trying the other way, but I prefer the thumb move ^^

By the way, I don't think there's much finger move to be detected using the thumb (at least in my hands)...

Cheers !

That's awesome:-). You're right. there isn't much finger movement this way. But the thumb movement is quite large - with my hands. I'm not sure the thumb movement is that much larger than Kainoa's finger movement though, at least as shown in his video. So maybe it's just good to have this in the repertoire for situations where it might be more appropriate or at least just as effective as the Kainoa way.

Thanks!

Ken
Hare
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of Hare
I can fire the FTMP off using both thumb directions about the same, depending on the angle/speed I want the coin to be heading. It works both ways equally well, as far as I am concerned. The inward direction, I find, is sligtly more silent.

I picked this up myself decades ago when I was still performing as a teenager- I saw a magician do it, and figured it out on my own, so I'm sure I'm doing things somewhat haphazardly compared to the established method. There's not much thumb or finger movement when I do this, and both methods offer extremely speedy coin flight that is easy to control.

It's funny. but I've never been able to do the traditional muscle pass at all. My classic palm/edge palming and back palming are all quite proficient- but I suppose I handle coins lightly, like flowers, and the muscle pass seems to be the one handling that is defeated with that sort of approach. I just don't have the knack of it.
"Better described in The Amateur Magician's Handbook"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Backwards Fingertip Muscle Pass? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL