The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Rookie seeks simple shell goodness for coins across (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

RookieMage
View Profile
New user
Rookies only have
58 Posts

Profile of RookieMage
New to coin magic, wanting to do a cool coins across type of effect and the whole magic world (seems to) say/imply that coin shells/expanded coin shells are The Way to look like Moritz Mueller in his cool Mo Fly effect. So, the simple question is what type(s) of shells are best for newbie coin folk like myself? Fitty cent coins are my preference, but do you use shell/expanded shell/slippery shell or what? Without trying to create the dreaded exposure problem, what coins exactly are needed for a 3 or 4 coins across effect? Or more accurately, what coins are needed for a rookie/beginner to pull off a coins across effect? Lastly, not looking to buy zillion dollar morgan silver dollar coins, I would like to find an affordable solution (affordable to me is under $100)...
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9988 Posts

Profile of funsway
You might consider Shell Raiser by Try Hooser -- a DVD with a simple Exp [ for practice

This shell is not of the quality to use in a real performance but will allow you to explore dozens of effects and possibilities.

Then you can decide on the value to you. Many good Exp [ are available in your price range. No reason to spend a lot unless you will use it a lot

After you have 50 posts and can check the Market Place you might post a request (offer to buy) and see what you find.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4675 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
There are many excellent routines that don't use a gaff of any sort. As a rookie I suggest that you start with those. After getting comfortable with some good old fashion sleight of hand, then consider playing with gaffs. If you are looking for a good coins across, then volume 1 of the NYCMS DVD series is a two disc set just on coins across. L&L also has a DVD on coins across. Good luck.
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
CarpetShark
View Profile
Special user
576 Posts

Profile of CarpetShark
Could not agree more with Doc Rubinstein: learn the basics before worrying about gaffs. If an amateur such as myself can pull of a decent Coins Across without a [, with practice anyone can.
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
I third Rubinstein's opinion. You can do mind boggling three-fly, winged silver, and just about any other routine you can think of without the use of a shell. My personal preference is the Morgan Dollar. Non the less, 5 of your favorite coin is all you need to accomplish most things. I prefer whole dollars because there's a few sleights I can do with them that aren't possible for me to really do with halves-- at least as cleanly. However, your hand side might make it that halves are your best pick. A long with anything Michael Rubinstein is in, I also recommend Ponta the Smith's "Sick." Though very advanced, that's the first DvD I started with and I took a LOT from that DvD and still use things from it today. You'll learn principals in there you aren't familiar with and it'll also entertain you to watch... At least it did for me. Some of the stuff he does in there is pretty crazy. His Three-fly, Winged Silver, and Matrix effects in there are the more practical ones in my opinion..
daniel116
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of daniel116
I'm gonna fourth Mr.Rubinstein's opinion about first learning coins across routines using only sleight of hand. I myself have been performing many different routines and sequences of coins across for quite a few years now, not once using a shell.
Jay Sankey's "Mr.Clean Coins Across" is a great, not that difficult to learn, stand-up coins across routine, to think of one.
Chris Kenner's original "Menage e Trois" (Not sure about the spelling) 3 Fly routine uses an extra coin, not a shell, and it's a great routine, that can look very open and clean in the right hands.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
And since this has been 2nd, 3rd and even 4th'd already…I'm gonna also suggest, once you get down the basics as pointed out here, to look into David Roth's "Super Clean Coins Across." You can still get it for a steal online and it teaches, what to me, is still one of the very best uses of an X-Shell in a coins across effect.

I prefer to not use gaffs for coins across but my own creativity, and I suggest you take the time to learn it that way as well.

Good journey to you, and welcome to the Café, Rookie. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
RookieMage
View Profile
New user
Rookies only have
58 Posts

Profile of RookieMage
Wow, Great Feedback from all of you, I really appreciate it! Seems like a consensus that it helps to start off with non-gaff stuff before I venture off the path into gaff stuff, right? The thoughtful feedback is so helpful as I try to sort through the Massive Product/Information Overwhelm process of picking things to buy/study/learn.

A special shout out to Zephury for your advice; if you retain this positive/generous attitude that you have now at age 17, you will Go Far In Life, helping out others is the best Karma there is and can create truly amazing rewards for you.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Quote:
On May 8, 2015, daniel116 wrote:

Jay Sankey's "Mr.Clean Coins Across" is a great, not that difficult to learn, stand-up coins across routine ... .

Maybe not difficult to learn, but certainly difficult to perform and not a routine for beginners.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Yea You cam Do great Stuff with A gaff! Stuff you can't do with S.O.H. But that's NOT where you start! The Old Masters Used To say " The only one who Can Really Get away With The judicious of A gaff Is someone Who does not Need one!!! "
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
I appreciate your kind words, Mr. Mage.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On May 8, 2015, RookieMage wrote:
Wow, Great Feedback from all of you, I really appreciate it! Seems like a consensus that it helps to start off with non-gaff stuff before I venture off the path into gaff stuff, right? The thoughtful feedback is so helpful as I try to sort through the Massive Product/Information Overwhelm process of picking things to buy/study/learn.

A special shout out to Zephury for your advice; if you retain this positive/generous attitude that you have now at age 17, you will Go Far In Life, helping out others is the best Karma there is and can create truly amazing rewards for you.

Yes, simply always start at the beginning. The journey will take you past many sights and sounds as you ready yourself for every next step of it. Oh and that "Karma" you speak of here…Well it's been around for quite a long while on this earth, it is the good way…To do unto others as you want it done unto you - magically or otherwise. So as you give it, you get it…And around and around it goes…Just as originally planned, here and everywhere. Smile

Again, welcome and good journey. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
For a simple but effective routine, check out "Winged Silver," page 27 of Dai Vernon's "Select Secrets."
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

And If you are ready by Then I will Have 2 vary Easy Coins across Using a shell In my 2 th. Hardbound book! Smile
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Hey, David, when is Vol. 2 due out?
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4911 Posts

Hay Ray,

Hopefully Sometime The last Part Of this year! The 1 st part, Around 45 or so Coins across Routines is all most finished! Smile Then we just Have one More Coin plot To put in there! We are thinking maybe Coins to pocket, Or Wild coin ! But we are not sure Yet!
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Rookie seeks simple shell goodness for coins across (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL