The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Karma Deck (ebook) - 5 minute memorythmic deck system (25 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
If you have it, how good is it?

http://www.lybrary.com/karma-deck-p-703810.html
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
I heard it is quite similar to QuickerStack, both in terms of appearance, randomness and basic MO (without spoiling, the term "pairs" should say enough to those in knowledge).

However, they differ in determining the suits, but I have no posssibility to compare.
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
I can compare them. It's easy to see why the author ("Unknown Mentalist") chooses to remain anonymous. And anyone who thinks that the core method of this technique is "... based on a very clever and innovative principle which is not known to have been used before" is very poorly informed. It is one invented by me, first published in 2002, lauded by top card folk, and used in other effects since then. Of course it is completely uncredited in "Karma Deck".

The author doesn't fully understand the implications of the idea, however, so the version used in "Karma Deck" is inferior to that used in "QuickerStack" and other effects in my repertoire. And the suit method is not very deceptive: "Karma Deck" uses simple rotating suits in CHaSeD order, so looks no more random than a Si Stebbins stack. Neither of which is true in "QuickerStack".

So even if we are to allow for "reinvention" by the author (and merely assume a limited understanding of contemporary methodologies), it is very poorly thought through, and consequently both more difficult and less random in appearance than "QuickerStack".
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
hcs
View Profile
Special user
Germany, Magdeburg
508 Posts

Profile of hcs
The Karma Deck shows no random in appearance:
... 10, 9, 8 ... *, *-1, ... 4, 3, 2, *, *-1 ...
Chris
View Profile
Inner circle
lybrary.com
1178 Posts

Profile of Chris
What Doug and Hans-Christian have pointed out is true and a fair criticism, however they have left out the one thing that makes this so interesting in my opinion. The way the pairs are setup is completely intuitive and immediately known by anybody who reads it. That is the innovation here and is definitely new. The pairing concept is Doug's and he should have been credited, which I think is being addressed by the author.

Is it better than any of the other algorithmic stacks? Well, that depends on how you define 'better'. Each one has its pros and cons. The Karma Deck is more intuitive and visual than other algorithmic stacks. In my opinion it is one of the most visual and simple to learn. The randomness and suit order are certainly not its strengths. Depending on what is important to you in a stack it may or may not be the right one for you. But if you are interested in algorithmic stacks it certainly is worthwhile to check it out.
Lybrary.com preserving magic one book at a time.
magico
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
862 Posts

Profile of magico
Actually Harry Riser use the idea of pairs in his No Memory Stack back in 1988. It was in a M-U-M magazine.
ddyment
View Profile
Inner circle
Gibsons, BC, Canada
2501 Posts

Profile of ddyment
Magico offered:
Quote:
Actually Harry Riser use the idea of pairs in his No Memory Stack back in 1988. It was in a M-U-M magazine.

All of which goes to show that there's rarely anything new under the sun.

I have for more than a decade believed that the card-pairing idea was mine (a belief confirmed by several quite knowledgeable card guys, whom I will not embarrass by naming!), and here it is, hidden in an old copy of M-U-M!

I have advanced the idea beyond what Harry proposed in a couple of important ways (in fact, what he published is more or less what I started out with), but the basic notion is unquestionably his. Sincere thanks to magico for the enlightening reference.

And as has been noted, this is the fundamental idea in the Karma Deck as well, though it now appears that he owes credit to Harry, not me. I find both Harry's and my approaches to be considerably superior to the Karma Deck, for reasons of stack randomness alone. (And there are other advantages as well, which I won't elaborate here.)
The Deceptionary :: Elegant, Literate, Contemporary Mentalism ... and More :: (order "Calculated Thoughts" from Vanishing Inc.)
Hushai
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, Missouri, USA
460 Posts

Profile of Hushai
Quote:
On May 10, 2015, magico wrote:

In the latest edition of The Karma Deck, the author gives credit to Harry Riser.
ursmagicbalu
View Profile
Inner circle
India
1080 Posts

Profile of ursmagicbalu
"Karma Deck is a big leap forward in stack magic. I am not aware of any other stack where the same principle gives out 6 different stacks. That too with an innovative way to use CHaSeD to make the suits random and not just red/black alternating pattern."
“It’s not what you do that matters, or even how you do it;
it’s what the spectators perceive you as doing that matters.
That’s the MAGIC they’ll remember.”
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
...says who?
The Mati Envelope

Chance's Token
ursmagicbalu
View Profile
Inner circle
India
1080 Posts

Profile of ursmagicbalu
Its me sir
“It’s not what you do that matters, or even how you do it;
it’s what the spectators perceive you as doing that matters.
That’s the MAGIC they’ll remember.”
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2893 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Okay. I was asking because of the quotation marks in your post.
The Mati Envelope

Chance's Token
Piers
View Profile
Inner circle
A Limited Edition of
1394 Posts

Profile of Piers
It gets good words from JHeff...
Smile

www.justgiving.com/piers-cancer-fund

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-2

www.justgiving.com/Piers-Cancer-Fund-3

Finished my 4 months of Chemotherapy in 2009. 3 monthly checks since... and into 2021!

As seen on the QE2 and QM2.

Author of Salem's Cornucopia - SUC Book
magico
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
862 Posts

Profile of magico
Quote:
On Jul 7, 2015, ursmagicbalu wrote:
"Karma Deck is a big leap forward in stack magic. I am not aware of any other stack where the same principle gives out 6 different stacks. That too with an innovative way to use CHaSeD to make the suits random and not just red/black alternating pattern."

The suit idea also belongs to Harry Riser.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Quote:
On May 8, 2015, Kjellstrom wrote:

OK, a few years later and besides credit or no credit issues, I will ask the same - "If you have it, how good is it?" this author has pretty much taken over the "top ten lists" on Lybrary and I am looking for some stack material and different stacks (I currently do a little with both Stebbins and Aronson).

ddyment,I have read over your essays several times in the past and do find them to be a resource to go back to from time to time but I am looking for - stack, applications, effects... all rolled up into one. This is why I am looking into a couple of his "bundle deals" (and grabbing the newest one that goes off it's $6 intro price (Tonight or Tomorrow I believe - the wording is unclear so I will grab it tonight to be safe). http://www.lybrary.com/fun-stacks-p-856015.html

I am not a mentalist but I am a card magician who does stack deck work and do have a few effects that I present as "pseudo-mentalism". this is why some of his stack work has my interest.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
mtgoldstein
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston, TX
325 Posts

Profile of mtgoldstein
Do yourself a favor and whether you get the Karma Stack deal or not pick up Quickerstack from Doug directly. It's brilliantly structured and you have direct access to the creator!in fact all of Doug's works are brilliant. Sorry different thread.
IMAGINACIAN
View Profile
Special user
In Your Thots
558 Posts

Profile of IMAGINACIAN
[quote]On Sep 4, 2016, Poof-Daddy wrote:
Quote:
On May 8, 2015, Kjellstrom wrote:

OK, a few years later and besides credit or no credit issues, I will ask the same - "If you have it, how good is it?" this author has pretty much taken over the "top ten lists" on Lybrary and I am looking for some stack material and different stacks (I currently do a little with both Stebbins and Aronson).

This guy intrigues me. Got some of his stuff over the past few months and the ideas simply rock. As long as I've been visiting lybrary, he's always the top author on the hotlist. That can only mean nobody seems talking about his stuff but everyone is buying it ! Planning to review some of the books I bought as soon as I can, including the Karma Deck Pro.
There is no better freedom than choice and no better choice than freedom.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I realized after I posted it was only a little over a year. Anyway, I picked up a couple of his e-books and a very impressed with what I have read so far. I mostly picked up Stebbins material though. If what I have seen so far is any indication, I answered my own question. Smile
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
pacozaa
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of pacozaa
Quote:
On Sep 9, 2016, Poof-Daddy wrote:
I realized after I posted it was only a little over a year. Anyway, I picked up a couple of his e-books and a very impressed with what I have read so far. I mostly picked up Stebbins material though. If what I have seen so far is any indication, I answered my own question. Smile

How is his Stebbins material?
Pasteboard Alchemist
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of Pasteboard Alchemist
Quote:
On Oct 22, 2019, pacozaa wrote:
How is his Stebbins material?

Curious about this myself--primarily regarding the +3 related material (as that's what my memdeck, Redford, is based on.) I believe his +3 stuff is in 13mm? Would like to hear opinions regarding that (or other +3 related ones he has.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » Karma Deck (ebook) - 5 minute memorythmic deck system (25 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL