The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Another Fingertip Muscle Pass Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

KenRyan
View Profile
Elite user
464 Posts

Profile of KenRyan
I've been practicing this a LOT and have improved targeting, consistency and speed. But I can't get the thing to fly flat! It seems like I'm getting exactly one turn/flip in the coin every time. It isn't tumbling head-over-tails multiple times.

Has anyone got any tips on how to flatten this thing?

Thanks.

Ken
SmileAndNod
View Profile
Veteran user
315 Posts

Profile of SmileAndNod
I would suggest starting with your hands very close together and gently doing it. It should be easier to keep it flat there, and then slowly expand that range.
KenRyan
View Profile
Elite user
464 Posts

Profile of KenRyan
Smiling and nodding:-P. Thanks SmileandNod! I was actually doing that but not sure if that was the right thing.

Cheers!

Ken
SmileAndNod
View Profile
Veteran user
315 Posts

Profile of SmileAndNod
Hmmmm, thinking about it now I may be able to give you some more specific advice. I was playing around with it and thinking what would cause the coin to spin. Maybe you are putting pressure in the wrong direction. Don't push towards your fingers with the thumb. Instead pull back towards your palm. Your fingers are still pushing towards your thumb which creates the friction.

Hope that helps.
KenRyan
View Profile
Elite user
464 Posts

Profile of KenRyan
Actually, my thumb is back toward the palm after applying the downward/inward (palmward) pressure. Kainoa says it's like the fingers are trying to push toward the target (the other hand), and the thumb, at first, is trying to prevent it until you're ready to release the tension, at which time the thumb pulls inward and down toward the palm, and the fingers move (slightly) toward the target.

I mentioned the other way - when the thumb goes toward the target - in another thread as an interesting possible variation. But I can't even do that anymore:-P.

What is happening with me is that just after I release the coin and my fingers sort of are pushing it toward the target hand, the back edge (closest to my shooting palm) tumbles one time slowly up over the front/leading edge of the coin (looks kinda like a helicopter when the nose is down and the tail is high as it moves forward). It continues this way, making one single flip, landing with what used to be the back edge, now forward on my receiving hand. So if it starts heads-up, it lands heads-down. It is NOT spinning. it doesn't even make a full 360-degree rotation. Just the 180 degree flip one single time. It's like it's front-heavy or something.

I tried doing what Kainoa says was Michael Rubenstein's idea, which is to sort of wedge the back edge of the coin under the fingernails of the launching hand. That actually helps a little, keeping the back edge of the coin from tipping up as it is released, and also helping the momentum stay more horizontal.

Doing it slowly and noting the mechanics (those years of engineering I was forced to take at USAFA still sometimes come in handy:-P) is helping. I'll continue doing that.

Cheers,

Ken
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Another Fingertip Muscle Pass Question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL