The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Filling in a hole in a coin (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Scott Horn
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, TX
417 Posts

Profile of Scott Horn
I have a '67 half where the tail side eagle has been "relief cut." It came from a necklace I found years ago. I want to try using the coin in some simple routines (i.e. Spellbound). Any advice on how I can "reasonably" fill in the hole at the top for the necklace? I think Im looking for a filler and a way to put a silver-ish finish on it. I don't need perfection, just enough for the visual impact to set in.

Click here to view attached image.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Take it to a jeweler and ask them. They maybe can fill it in, or have a source of a jewelry maker. It should not cost to much. Also they sell metal glues, you can buy a tube at your favorite hardware store, and test it, as you only want to apply very little at a time to the hole. Put a none stick sheet on the back, tight against the hole so it will not leak through.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Silver solder, J-B Weld...to name a few. Or you could do what Bill suggests.

Good luck.
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
754 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
Take it to a jeweler like Bill said, you will be impressed how good a job they will do compared to what you can do if you are not handy.
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1528 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
J-B weld will come out dark grey or black and you do not want that. It does work on something when the color is not an issue. I have a lot of jewelers tools in the workshop and I would take this project to another jeweler as try doing it myself hole filling in this case is much harder than one would think if you want the rim where the hole is to have the E spot that was drilled through rebuilt so the coin looks just like it was cut out and not cut out then drilled for a necklace.
TheRaven
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheRaven
Solder
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Filling in a hole in a coin (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL