The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Science fiction becomes fact (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
This one is just for fun:

What "outrageous" science fiction concept 1) do you think may possibly happen one day, and 2) would you like to see happen one day (even if it's unlikely)?

Here are a few to get started:

- Alternate/parallel universes
- Space aliens
- Mythological creatures (bigfoot, Lock Ness monster, mermaids)
- Time travel
- Immortality (extended lifespan, "Fountain of Youth", cryogenics)
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3661 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
1. Genetic testing for a perfect personal cure of all kinds of diseases.

2. Transporter for a living person….unhurt.

Heres another 2. Faster than light travel, either by skipping through space, folding space, exiting our universe and entering closer to our final destination, just plain going fast without squishing ourselves or what ever (without time passage consequences and altering our mass please).

-Mary Mowder
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
... and judging from your post(s), perhaps human cloning?

Of course, the classic sci-fi consequence of your #1 choice is the elimination of less-than-perfect people, and the inability to accept those perceived as less, or those who do not want to use the technology. A sci-fi writer might point out, for example, that if Mrs. Bell was not hearing impaired we may not have the telephone.

Rod Serling's take on the concept on Twilight Zone:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_12_Looks_Just_Like_You

As for #1: I think that there is plenty to discover, and it would not surprise me a bit if someone were to prove the existence of, say, the Loch Ness Monster, or something similar.

#2, the unlikely: I would like to see time travel. The idea of actually witnessing history and seeing what really happened is interesting. I also think we could go back in time to witness crimes and have extremely accurate court judgements (then again, if we could witness them why not prevent them?).
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
To harness magnetism for travel.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
You mean like a mag-lev train? Its been done. I personally don't want time travel to be made a reality. I think that everything both good and bad makes the world as it is, and I like the world right now. We would not be able to discern what things would affect what, and we would set off a chain reaction resulting in who knows what. If mythological creatures were to exist, it would be in the form of fossils. That is why we all think it is a myth. Immortality, I also take issue with. I personally think that if we live on earth for too long we would lose our sense of morality, and that would create obvious problems. I would like to see a teleporter, except the fact that so many things would be eliminated that I sometimes enjoy. There would be no more thinking in the car or in flight cinnamon cookies.
Reality is a real killjoy.
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Light Sabers
Blasters
Droids
Interstellar travel whatever the means, but hopefully something that involves the name Starfleet

Iron Man suits for personal flight as well as assisting people with spinal cord/other injuries

Robocop... or Iron Man

Soylent Green... Jk Smile

Doughnuts, baked goods, ice cream and other fried and cheesy foods that induce weight loss

Smile
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
The world will be a polluted mess. The proletariats will live in squalor, while a small elite lives in isolated "islands" of luxury and corporate secrecy. Police and military will be privatized to serve the interests of the corporations that run the islands.

I will be dead and glad of it.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Dinosaurs re-created? (OK, that might cause problems. Smile )

But, for that matter, should we re-create other extinct species?
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On May 13, 2015, ZachDavenport wrote:
You mean like a mag-lev train? Its been done. I personally don't want time travel to be made a reality. I think that everything both good and bad makes the world as it is, and I like the world right now. We would not be able to discern what things would affect what, and we would set off a chain reaction resulting in who knows what. If mythological creatures were to exist, it would be in the form of fossils. That is why we all think it is a myth. Immortality, I also take issue with. I personally think that if we live on earth for too long we would lose our sense of morality, and that would create obvious problems. I would like to see a teleporter, except the fact that so many things would be eliminated that I sometimes enjoy. There would be no more thinking in the car or in flight cinnamon cookies.

Much more than that. Used as energy an dmaking items just about weightless so they can be moved easily. Remember I believe they were called "gravity cars" in Dick Tracy?
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Lewis Marks
View Profile

Maintaining a perfect score of
0 Posts

Profile of Lewis Marks
I think a moon base is a definite. That is if the earthly governments can continue their cooperative efforts. I also think some sort of major decline and destruction of all societies as a distinct possibility. The divisive/cooperative cycles have been for ever but every year more countries and factions are closer to massive destructive capabilities and tolerances for each other continually grow further apart.

Then too, if we teach apes to become domestic servants, speak, and allow them to organize, we might be in big trouble some day.
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
749 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Quote:
On May 13, 2015, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
The world will be a polluted mess. The proletariats will live in squalor, while a small elite lives in isolated "islands" of luxury and corporate secrecy. Police and military will be privatized to serve the interests of the corporations that run the islands.

is that you Tommy?
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
How about mining asteroids for resources?
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Quote:

And to think all this time I thought you were a "glass if half full" kind of guy!
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On May 13, 2015, Starrpower wrote:
Quote:

And to think all this time I thought you were a "glass if half full" kind of guy!

Only in the short term. Smile
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
If any of our predictions come true, maybe you won't be dead!

In the last few pages of his autobiography, Benjamin Franklin suggested that one day we may have anti-gravity technology to make the moving of goods easier. So are our predictions still going to be made 250 years hence, without being realized?

To avoid stepping on a butterfly, how about if we could just view the past? I mean, if I could drop in on O.J. Simpson on that fatal night, I might be able to clear up a few details.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
I think the bluetooth headsets are the first step towards increased cybernetic acceptances, and advancements. I think we'll see "chips" or microcomputers capable of wireless connectivity implanted in humans: interfacing with their brains. Such things as enhanced eyesight, smell, reaction may be possible. Information will download directly into nervous system, and humans will interact with external machines.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
Quote:

Member of the optimist club?
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Quote:
On May 13, 2015, Ray Tupper. wrote:
Quote:

is that you Tommy?

Smile Smile
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1778 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
I overlooked the part about "what do you think may happen" and only put down my hopes.

I would like to add that I think it's very possible that the island of Manhattan could one day be transformed into a maximum security prison and that a terrorist organization could crash land Air Force One into this prison, forcing the United States Police Force to send in our best chance at getting the President out, but not before injecting timed explosives into said hope's neck to add drama and urgency to the rescue operation.

Who knows, if this were to actually happen John Carpenter might even make a movie out of it one day.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Relative immortality by means of humans becoming cyborgs.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Science fiction becomes fact (10 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL