The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » New Handling of the Spirit Key (now back in stock) (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ricklaxmagic
View Profile
Special user
West Bloomfield, Michigan
678 Posts

Profile of ricklaxmagic
Hey Café!

Here's a brand new idea for presenting the Spirit Key:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/926

Not only does it look cool; it takes the heat off the 'move'.

Anyway, we've got a bunch back in stock, so if you've lost your old one or have never performed with this thing, I think you'll like it. No strings or wires or magnets or anything--just the key. But I'm guessing most you guys reading this know that much already...

-Rick
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4150 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Nice idea with the shadow Rick,i have it and the one where the teeth move as well just look a little different in colour,hope the newer one will fade and match?,i have a few very old haunted keys aswell.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18820 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Looks good - however, the idea of using shadows to cause an object isn't a new idea...greg arce and bob cassidy use it with all kinds of PK/TK devices...
NEW - the bear tear

20-25% OFF MOST THINGS
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/uncle90
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5649 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Though this looks good, however I feel that this is an effect where all eyes and mind must be focused on the main object i.e. The KEY. By creating a shadow, you are distracting the spectator from the main object where the spirits are in action. I think the best performance is the good age old teaching - Simple and effective.

Oh, that's just ME and my thoughts. Smile Smile

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
George Hunter
View Profile
Inner circle
1700 Posts

Profile of George Hunter
Alas, both performers flubbed the second-half "flop." Penguin should, at least, show a video featuring a controlled and slow 180 degree performance.

George
markhitton
View Profile
Special user
948 Posts

Profile of markhitton
If I do the pk key people looks for the key ,i think Ustaad thought is right.
Switch back on the old method and I pass on the shadow part Smile
nukraze
View Profile
New user
NJ
74 Posts

Profile of nukraze
I don't think Rick was saying he was the first to use the idea of shadows, but just applying it to a new spin on presenting the Spirit Key. I'll have to dig mine up tonight and play around with it a bit - it's been one of those items that's been sent to the "drawer".

- Tom
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5649 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Off Topic

Almost 10 years ago there was an effect called "Key To Sophia". It's an Haunted (Spirit) Key effect but with a difference. The key is made to rotate (in stead of on the palm) on ones fingertip. The method is a bit tricky, but once you get the knack of it, it is very easy and mind blowing not only for the laymen but also for a few seasoned magicians as well.

If interested, one might like to give this thread a read - http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&start=0

Please Note: As usual, all my posts on the above thread have been deleted barring a few; and those which remain are IMO the most significant posts. Smile Smile

The 'Key To Sophia' method (of rotating the key on the fingertip) is not new. Al Mann in his booklet “Eff-Oes - A Study of Flying Objects for the Mentalist.” came up with the exact same method and is on Page 14, titled ‘Ideo-Motion’. Al Mann also suggests some great performance ideas using the key & other objects.

Back on Topic please. Thank you.

Smile

P.S. One might like to checkout my posts on the following pages:-

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......tart=180

And

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......forum=37
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
ricklaxmagic
View Profile
Special user
West Bloomfield, Michigan
678 Posts

Profile of ricklaxmagic
Quote:
On May 13, 2015, IAIN wrote:
Looks good - however, the idea of using shadows to cause an object isn't a new idea...greg arce and bob cassidy use it with all kinds of PK/TK devices...


that's true IAIN. Yes, I've seen all sorts of shadow movement with TK tricks before, especially haunted pack. I was just pointing out that I hadn't seen shadows done with the Spirit Key in particular. Smile But if you have, yes, makes sense that somebody would have gotten to this before me.
ricklaxmagic
View Profile
Special user
West Bloomfield, Michigan
678 Posts

Profile of ricklaxmagic
Quote:
On May 13, 2015, Ustaad wrote:
Though this looks good, however I feel that this is an effect where all eyes and mind must be focused on the main object i.e. The KEY. By creating a shadow, you are distracting the spectator from the main object where the spirits are in action. I think the best performance is the good age old teaching - Simple and effective.

Oh, that's just ME and my thoughts. Smile Smile

Smile


Ustaad: You might be right on this. I've just heard the comments of a lot of people who have tried to perform this and failed (because spectators were noticing the secret thing you have to do to make the trick work) so I figured that using the shadow as misdirection would be the perfect way to combat that. And if you're worried about people not noticing the key turning, you can even say, before you do the trick, "I'm going to make this key turn by turning its shadow," and that way the presentation will distract the eye but not the mind. Smile
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
5649 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Rick: Oh, OK. I get your point and logic & reasoning behind the new shadow handling of the Spirit Key. Makes perfect sense. I didn't think on those lines (as usual! Smile). Sorry for my above post, my bad.

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET, there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
markhitton
View Profile
Special user
948 Posts

Profile of markhitton
Quote:
On May 13, 2015, ricklaxmagic wrote:
Quote:
On May 13, 2015, Ustaad wrote:
Though this looks good, however I feel that this is an effect where all eyes and mind must be focused on the main object i.e. The KEY. By creating a shadow, you are distracting the spectator from the main object where the spirits are in action. I think the best performance is the good age old teaching - Simple and effective.

Oh, that's just ME and my thoughts. Smile Smile

Smile





Rick I have seen the on fingertip key turning and this fooled me badly without the use of a shadow type misdirection.
Do not think misdirection is needed




Ustaad: You might be right on this. I've just heard the comments of a lot of people who have tried to perform this and failed (because spectators were noticing the secret thing you have to do to make the trick work) so I figured that using the shadow as misdirection would be the perfect way to combat that. And if you're worried about people not noticing the key turning, you can even say, before you do the trick, "I'm going to make this key turn by turning its shadow," and that way the presentation will distract the eye but not the mind. Smile

Smile
markhitton
View Profile
Special user
948 Posts

Profile of markhitton
If done in the right way the effect is absolutely great Smile
markhitton
View Profile
Special user
948 Posts

Profile of markhitton
Ustaad suggestion method is what I have seen .
The ideo motor principle and a undetectable sleight are the core of this improptu effect.
Sometimes old ideas are the best and improvements this time are not necessary.
Just my personal opinion..... Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » New Handling of the Spirit Key (now back in stock) (7 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL