The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Yet another menber from NYC (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ReaderOfThought
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of ReaderOfThought
Hello everyone. My name is Tommy Burnett. I have been a member of the café for a couple of years but oddly enough I only started participating recently. I don't really know why.

First off... I was born with a brain disorder that is caused by trauma to the brain before or during birth called Cerebral Palsy. Luckily for me it was a mild case but it still affected my self-esteem. All I ever wanted to be was a performer... in particular, a magician... but I wanted to be believable.

My interest in magic started at the age of six...My bio-father was an actor and magician when I was growing up. He would entertain my friends and I whenever they came over. The first effect I ever saw was the color changing knives. I was hooked - I wanted to be a magician. I started performing at birthday parties from the age of 9 until I was 17 but my parents convinced me that I would never make it not because of my abilities as a magician but because of my residual speech impediment from my CP that I mentioned earlier. I bring this up because I didn't believe in myself for the longest time. So I did other things in lieu of performing in order to please my parents. I continued to study magic and learn the principles of magic and perform when ever I could for friends and family.

I focused on my studies and went on to college and moved to Colorado. I lived there until 2008.

By the time I Was 30 I Still had the deep desire to perform so I rented a small hall, where I was living, that held 150 people and did a show. The show was successful and I started performing more and more.

Eventually I moved back to NYC where I still perform at private gatherings, clubs, magic venues. I now predominantly perform mentalism. I like it when a participant looks at me after doing an effect and says something like, "That was real, wasn't it?"

Well, that's a little bit about me. If you want to check out my website it's www.tommyburnett.com
Protect Your Magic!
Tommy Burnett - THE UNCONVENTIONALIST
RookieMage
View Profile
New user
Rookies only have
58 Posts

Profile of RookieMage
Hello ReaderOfThought/Tommy, welcome to the Café, sounds like you have been "here" longer than me but Welcome Anyway! :o)

I give you Major Props for pushing through your challenges to come out the other side as a Pro Magician. Your website looks great/very professional, and your testimonials prove that you have the Skills To Pay The Bills! Isn't it funny how our folks teach us stuff that is not always perfectly spot on target? My folks pointed me in career directions that made no sense to me and are Not what I do today, but I feel they had good intentions at the time. Looks like you have become a fine example of the type of Mage I would like to be someday, keep up the great work!
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3645 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome ReaderOfThought,

It is always inspirational to see people who don't accept the limits others imagine of them.

I'm sure your parents couldn't have been happier to have been proven wrong as well.

We have lots of Mental types here so you'll fit right in now that you're in the mixing mood.

-Mary Mowder
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
2849 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Hi there Tommy,
Sounds like you will be a valuable asset to all of here on The Café. You are a prime example of following one's dreams and not listening to the voices that say "You can't do it." You DID it. Glad to have you here!!!!
David Paul
If you can't help worrying, remember worrying can't help you!
ReaderOfThought
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Hey all! I'm sorry I never responded to your posts. I left the Café for a while after this topic was posted and never got to see the responses until now. In some ways I wasn't ready to accept them at the time even if I HAD ween them then. Thank you all for your supportive words!!!!
Tommy Burnett
Protect Your Magic!
TomB
View Profile
Regular user
173 Posts

Profile of TomB
Hey Tommy. Glad you came back. I found a video of one your performances. Good stuff!
https://youtu.be/F-Wg5FbAxA0
ReaderOfThought
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Thanks Tom. Much appreciated!
Protect Your Magic!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » Yet another menber from NYC (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL