The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Support the Iron Cowboy (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I just heard about this guy and it turns out he lives in the town right next to mine but he'll be stopping by your state sometime this summer. If possible, stop by to support him!

He's planning on attempting to do the impossible to raise money and awareness for childhood obesity through the charity Quiet Way. He is planning on completing 50 Ironman distance in 50 days in 50 states.

Here's an article about him in Wired. http://www.wired.com/2014/10/james-lawrence/

Here's a cool video that was done about his World Record setting of 30 Ironman races in one year.

And here's his schedule for this summer. You can look up your state and see when and where he'll be racing there. http://www.ironcowboy.co/calendar
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
It's kind of a crazy thing to do! It's admirable that he wants to help make kids healthier, but how exactly is he raising money, and what will the money go toward?
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I read about a competition in Europe, ten ironman races over ten days. Most did not finish (an Irish guy won). It left very little time for sleeping and recuperating. I doubt that what he is attempting is healthy, sane or possible. I may be wrong on the possible, but if I was him I would be very wary of the long-term effects of this.
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1686 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
He could be like some of the people I've seen on the show, Stan Lee's Superhumans. On the show they travel around looking for people with superhuman abilities and have found more than one person whose bodies do not build up lactic acid when they exert themselves. Somehow their bodies have a way of flushing it out or something so their lactic acid levels remain low. These people run ultra marathons, swim ridiculous distances, etc.

Dean Karnazes is an ultra marathoner who has allegedly run 350 miles without stopping and when they tested him on the show supposedly his lactic acid didn't increase: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yruoHt_eQyI

There is another guy, Martin Strel, who claims to have swum the entire length of the Amazon river. He did a 15 mile swim for the show and his lactic acid levels never increased. And this guy doesn't even look athletic. At all.

Now, I'm not saying that everything on this show is accurate, but if there are people who for whatever reason have this ability then maybe this guy doing the iron mans is one of them and he'll actually be just fine. I don't see how he could possibly do it otherwise. Just the thought of it is excruciating to me. I'll have another cookie whilst I ponder this.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On May 15, 2015, TonyB2009 wrote:
I read about a competition in Europe, ten ironman races over ten days. Most did not finish (an Irish guy won). It left very little time for sleeping and recuperating. I doubt that what he is attempting is healthy, sane or possible. I may be wrong on the possible, but if I was him I would be very wary of the long-term effects of this.

To be honest, I wonder if it's possible myself. I'll be cheering him on just the same. Since he probably lives less than 5 miles from me, I'm going to try and look him up and talk to him.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On May 15, 2015, Theodore Lawton wrote:
He could be like some of the people I've seen on the show, Stan Lee's Superhumans. On the show they travel around looking for people with superhuman abilities and have found more than one person whose bodies do not build up lactic acid when they exert themselves. Somehow their bodies have a way of flushing it out or something so their lactic acid levels remain low. These people run ultra marathons, swim ridiculous distances, etc.

The problem with Stan Lee's show is that the testing is anything but scientific. For instance, build-up of lactic acid is not a limiting factor in extreme endurance events. It is a limiting factor in shorter events such as running a mile or 5k on a track. Running 600M is a killer on a track because of lactic acid, but in a marathon lactic acid levels remain relatively low in most of us anyway.

Like Rockwall I will be rooting for this guy. I don't believe it is possible, but I would be delighted if he proves me wrong. I hope he does.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
So, I reached out to him through his website and when I got back from my morning run I had a message waiting for me and I ended up just have lunch with him at a local Costa Vida. Barring the unknown accident or whatever else, he seems supremely confident that he can do this and feels like he's put in the training necessary. In every state, he's allowing people to run the last 5K with him if they want to be part of this event. (Actually, I think he'll let anyone do any portion of the distance with him that they want but the last 5K is what is doable for most people.)

None of the money raised goes to him, it all goes to the charities that they are lining up. He has a number of sponsors that support his efforts and that's what he uses for his own funds. In the past, the charity he's used for his other events has been 'In Our Own Quiet Way' that has raised money to build Dams in Africa among other things focused on African relief. Since he want's this event to focus on childhood obesity, he's partnering with several other charities that do that but hasn't got all of them lined up yet.

I get back from my trip to Ireland on 7/24 and it turns out he's doing the 50th distance here in Utah on 7/25 so I'm hoping to do the swim and bikeride and the final 5k of the run with him then. (I'll take a nice rest while he's doing the first 23 miles of the run portion!)

If he accomplishes his goal, it will really be historic. I encourage any of you who are a little interested to plan on seeing him while he's in your state.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Sounds brilliant. I wonder about the logistics of getting to Alaska and Hawaii, but I am sure he has it worked out. Enjoy Ireland, Rockwall. You are coming during our dry season. It is about four days between the middle of July and the middle of July. We also have a dry day in May and two or three in September.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I didn't think Ireland HAD a dry season! LOL We are really looking forward to the trip and I hope to get in some nice countryside running while there but don't want to do it in the rain.

I hope to visit several local pubs and hopefully ingratiate myself by doing a little bit of magic for the locals.

As far as Hawaii and Alaska for the Iron Cowboy, those are the first 2 on his tour to get the plane rides out of the way and once he's back mainland I don't think he plans on taking another plane after that.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Then he might make it - those flights would be killers late in his challenge.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
The 50 Ironman distances starts one week from today!

I found a great podcast with James on the Rich Roll Pod Cast.

Rich Roll is a bit of a legend in the ultra race community. Rich was a top finisher in Ultra Man (a double Ironman) back in 2008 having never competed in a triathlon before and becoming Vegan while training for it. He interviews James in this podcast.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-......991?mt=2
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1183 Posts

Profile of imgic
Rockwall. When in Ireland DO NOT DRINK THE GUINNESS!!! It will ruin you from ever drinking it again in the States. In Ireland it's so creamy and smooth....so completely different than what's here in a the US.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
And so it begins, I think he started the day just after midnight in Hawaii to allow time to catch a plane to Alaska for the 2nd day:

"Fantastic first day - ish. Any day I complete one is a good day... I would have like less complications... Video blog coming but we have some issues with the WiFi here in Honolulu... So I'll post the recap tomorrow. Highlights included getting smoked by an 11 year old in the swim... the flats... The police... Almost being blown off the road by the helicopter... Insane hot run... Barfing over a gallon at the finish ... And a few other gems. I did however forget to mention how awesome it was that the Kauai Divas and Dudes can out to support on the bike and run. Would have been stranded if I didn't get the extra tube fm Joe. Also we fixed the issue with my Bluetooth and the run should be live tracking tomorrow.
My coach David Warden (total legend) will be doing performance and data analysis everyday which will also be on the blog - oh and super cool thing coming... We will be doing some live streaming soon! Boom."
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Finished #2 and on the bike for #3 now in Washington state.

"Ohhhhh ya!!! Made it through the flight section of logistics. Cell service was so bad after the race I couldn't update... What an amazing day in Alaska !! Temperature makes such a difference for me. Best scenery I've ever biked, the people were so nice... I'm exhausted not from the IM's but over the past 48 hours I've done 2 IM and got 7.5 hours of sleep... 6.5 of which were on an airplane. In the motorhome now getting worked on by Natalie headed to the swim start. #3 here we go"

They also do Garmin Live Tracking when they can. Currently he can be tracked on the bike.

http://livetrack.garmin.com/session/ddbd......F0CC844E

(That's a cool feature, I've got to figure out how to do that!)
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Great start, getting the logistically tough ones out of the way. Thanks for the updates.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
His done with Hawaii, Alaska, and Washington now. Had this cool post from yesterday:

https://www.facebook.com/Ironcowboy/phot......&theater

"Thanks for all the encouragement! Though 8 miles on the run and this dude named Keito pops out of the bushes and said 'there you guys are! Just heard about you on Insta.' End up he has an amazing story - when he was 16 years old he was dragged by a bus and was pronounced dead (check out his skin graphed legs the pic). Recently just picked up run and has sign up for Ironman Coeur d'Alene.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Falling asleep while riding a bike is never a good thing. Hopefully he'll get more sleep tonight in the motorhome driving down to California.

"I'm done with the bike. Kept falling asleep on the ride and catching myself just before hitting the ditch. This is an awesome challenge. I'm loving and hating every single second. I bonked hard today and have been getting my bike nutrition wrong... Pounded a egg and veggie burrito half way that brought me out of a funk... Taking a quick nap before the run."
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Iron cowboy is on day 7 today in Arizona. He swam 3/4 of the swim yesterday cause of a shoulder problem and was dealing with near 100 degree weather in Las Vegas. But to make things interesting he and his team are also pulling a young man with cp today along the entire course!
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Brilliant. A legend.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
The Cowboy had a rough first week I think but seems to be settling into a groove now. His first week included not enough sleep, shoulder problems that required him to swim with one arm for several days, the need to take an IV one day and some major leg pain one day that required some splints I think. However, it seems most of that is behind him and he's working rest periods in-between the bike and run which is helping with him completing each day.

He went to a hospital today just to have some blood work done to see how he's holding up and this is what the doctor said:
From Dr Makin: " Analyzing James' blood labs confirms what we all suspected… He's a machine!! He has better blood labs after 9 Ironman's in 9 days than most of us on a daily basis. He can absolutely do this! His clean eating and attention to detail has paid off!"

The legendary Steve McCarty stopped by to support him in Arizona and he got hit by hail in Colorado. A bunch of guys from the ultra community also met him in Colorado to run the Marathon with him.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Support the Iron Cowboy (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL