The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Support the Iron Cowboy (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
That's great. But how's his side-steal? Smile
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On May 15, 2015, Starrpower wrote:
It's kind of a crazy thing to do! It's admirable that he wants to help make kids healthier, but how exactly is he raising money, and what will the money go toward?

Hi Starrpower. At the time, I don't think he had finalized which charity he would be partnering with but it's the Jamie Oliver Food Foundation. This from his site:

http://www.ironcowboy.co/donate/

"As the charity partner for the Iron Cowboys 50-50-50 event, we are thrilled to support James’ aim to raise $1million to fight the obesity crisis in the US. The funding that his event will generate will have a dual purpose – we will provide direct financial support to schools that wish to incorporate practical food education on the curriculum. These micro-grants will be used to support US schools at a grassroots level to develop and improve their programmes around food, nutrition and growing. The remaining funds would be used for research, to ensure that the interventions and materials we create will continue to have the biggest possible impact and drive the behavioural change that is needed to truly reverse the current obesity crisis."

He's on Day 18!
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
James's coach posts a Coaches blog on James's website almost everyday. It's interesting to see the level of detail and data that he's following. As expected, this is an extremely challenging task. Here's a post from the other day by his coach.

"James' toe is infected, and he has another infection on his tongue, a sort of thrush. He is now on medication for both of those issues. I recommended he use a running sandal for the run. Instead he cut out the top of his run shoe. Close enough.

I try and be as positive as possible on the blog about James' condition. He puts on a good face, and I don't want to talk much about his suffering. And he is suffering. I don't want to focus on the details. If he brings it up on Facebook, I'll comment. Otherwise I'll assume he does not want everyone to know about particular issues.

I am confident after this is all over he'll have no problem sharing all the ugly gross details."

Being in incredible shape is important but I would guess that the mental toughness to complete something like this is probably more important than anything.

Here's a link to that blog if anyone is interested in reading more. He's in Pensicola, FL today. Oh, and a couple days ago he fell asleep on the bike and fell off. Banged up his hip and wrist.

http://www.ironcowboy.co/blog/
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I should point out for those who have an interest in this. Because of the accident on the Bike the other day and the damage to his hip, the following day he wasn't able to even walk after the bike so James and his coach made the decision to do the marathon portion on an elliptical machine. For many, this will negate his goal of attempting 50 Ironman distances in 50 consecutive days. The entire explanation is posted on his coaches blog but he is continuing on.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
It was inevitable that the days would take a toll. I am just back from a week of walking only 15-20 miles a day, and my feet were sore. Still rooting for him.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
The Iron Cowboy is on day 35 his attempt to complete 50 Ironman distances in 50 consecutive days in 50 states. Today he is in Vermont.

I think that everyday is a struggle at this point but his times have come down from the first few weeks. Probably due as much to flatter territory on the East Coast than he had in the West. He's in Vermont today and will be starting to head back west where he'll finish in Utah on the 25th. While I had my doubts about his ability to do this at the start I now will be very surprised if he doesn't complete it. No matter what difficulty has been thrown his way, he's found a way to get it done just the same.

He's had Olympians and celebrities join him on portions of the course and he's had people complete the entire course with him on a few days. There have been days when he's had over 50 people join him for 5K of the run and he's inspired countless people.

I'll be joining him for his last day in Utah when he finishes for a portion. Looking forward to it!
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On Jul 10, 2015, rockwall wrote:
I'll be joining him for his last day in Utah when he finishes for a portion. Looking forward to it!

Excellent!
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
He did it!!!

For his final 5k he was joined by what looked to be around 5000 supporters including having 2 ultra greats, Rich Roll and Matt Fitzgerald run the final marathon with him. In fact, he had huge groups of people swimming the final 2.4 mile swim, riding the final 112 mile bike ride and running the final 26.2 miles.

I wish I could have joined him for a different 5K when the crowds weren't anywhere as big for a smaller, more intimate experience, but running the final 5K and seeing that kind of support was inspiring also.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18036 Posts

Profile of Slim King
An AMAZING story!!!!! Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Fantastic achievement. Thanks for keeping us up to date on this.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Support the Iron Cowboy (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL