The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Osterlind Breakthrough Card System (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
I always have been light on my feet! Smile
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I've seen John, as well as other audience members, on other L&L videos. Where are the video's filmed and who are the audience members?
Kim
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Kim
My understanding is that L&L has employees and family and friends as the audience.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Does this mean that the enthusiastic responses are perhaps enhanced a little?

BTW, I found laying a shuffled deck out and seeing how long it took to get in order great for getting faster but not much use when I was still learning the system. I kept getting one card wrong and messing up the whole stack and getting really angry! I found the best way to practice was to get the system in order then simply see how long it takes to go through the whole deck, predicting the next card!

Another BTW: Without giving away too much, isn't it great that for the cards that are tricky to work out the value of, its easy to figure out the suit of?
Craig Chamberlain
View Profile
New user
Michigan, USA
49 Posts

Profile of Craig Chamberlain
Richard,

The audience on your excellent DVD set is very enthusiastic, maybe even more so than on some other L&L videos.

The audience members were responding to strong material and a pleasant personality, but I was wondering if you also did some kind of warm-up before the segments we see. How were you introduced to the audience?
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12020 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
Quote:
On 2004-02-24 20:15, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:
I've seen John on other L&L videos...as well as other audience members. Where are the video's filmed and who are the audience members?


From what I understand, the videos are made in beautiful Lake Tahoe, CA. They are shot in a person's home with beautiful views from the house to boot. The audiences are from the local community and some of the women are models.
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Let me answer a few questions about the L&L videos.

They are filmed in Lake Tahoe in a beautiful house with a huge room as the studio. Louis does his best to make the performer feel at home so as to do their best performances. Dining is great and a whole day is spent planning out the show and working with the camera crew.

The audience consists of some of Louis' employees (just a few like maybe four or five) and local residents. (Maybe some are relatives, but no one was introduced to me in that way.)

Yes, Louis does try to get enthusiastic people (why wouldn't he!), but they are not warmed up ahead of time or coached. They are typical of any audience who is attending either a live TV show or a performance that is being taped.

Did any of you see my TV performance on Fox and Friends a few years ago? It was picked up by Talk Soup for their weekend edition and shown about 20 times. The people on that show (including Stephanie Powers) were every bit as enthusiastic as those at the L&L shoot.

I remember years ago when I had a cable television show. I decided to tape the second performance live at a local club I was working at. The first show was typical of a nightclub environment with the normal amount of talking and noise. As soon as we brought in the cameras and lighting to tape the second show, the whole mood of the room changed! Everyone became quiet and respectful! This is how any audience behaves with cameras rolling.

Finally, I don't really think that the audience was totally cooperative! There were times when people talked and made comments. "I don't think the bill is still in the envelope!" Or what about when I got the number for one girl wrong and she immediately said, "NO! That's wrong!" with delight! Then I "fixed" that and turned it around. That happened throughout the day. On the close-up segments, after I did a number of what I thought was good stuff, one of the girls suddenly said, "Now, THAT'S good!" as though the rest wasn't!

So, there you go. I thought the audience represented pretty much what I find to be the case in most of the shows that I do. Again, yes, they are being recorded and are aware of it. But, how else?

I hope that clarifies some of the comments.

Richard
Kim
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Kim
Richard,

Maybe we got a little off topic here. Let me reiterate that the DVDs are wonderful. That's the bottom line here.
:-)
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
All I can say is that I had the same reaction as John when I was watching the DVD!

You should have heard me shouting at the TV! He-he.
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Quote:
On 2004-02-25 08:45, Kim wrote:
Richard,

Maybe we got a little off topic here. Let me reiterate that the DVDs are wonderful. That's the bottom line here.
:-)


You're right and I'm sorry about that.

Thank you so much for the comments about the videos!

Richard
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3222 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
Quote:
BTW, I found laying a shuffled deck out and seeing how long it took to get in order great for getting faster but not much use when I was still learning the system. I kept getting one card wrong and messing up the whole stack and getting really angry! I found the best way to practice was to get the system in order then simply see how long it takes to go through the whole deck, predicting the next card!

Even if you get more than one card wrong, you won't get the entire sequence wrong, you just shift the end of the sequence so that when you get to a certain point, you will calculate a successor and it will be a card that’s already in the stack, i.e. already used. This gives you the insertion point in the deck where one or more cards should go. Split the deck into two packets, at the point between the successor card you calculated and the card before that. Each of these packets will be correct sequences (or if not, you’ll end up splitting one or more of the packets later.) Build up correct several correct sequences of cards and you will eventually be able to put the stack together from these packets.

I also did what you do, I just put the stack together from a list, and I practiced calculating successor cards. But it’s worth knowing the technique above if you are ever caught without a list and you happen to make a mistake.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Quote:
On 2004-02-25 08:39, osterlind wrote:
Let me answer a few questions about the L&L videos.

They are filmed in Lake Tahoe in a beautiful house with a huge room as the studio. Louis does his best to make the performer feel at home so as to do their best performances. Dining is great and a whole day is spent planning out the show and working with the camera crew.

The audience consists of some of Louis' employees (just a few like maybe four or five) and local residents. (Maybe some are relatives, but no one was introduced to me in that way.)

Yes, Louis does try to get enthusiastic people (why wouldn't he!), but they are not warmed up ahead of time or coached. They are typical of any audience who is attending either a live TV show or a performance that is being taped.

Did any of you see my TV performance on Fox and Friends a few years ago? It was picked up by Talk Soup for their weekend edition and shown about 20 times. The people on that show (including Stephanie Powers) were every bit as enthusiastic as those at the L&L shoot.

I remember years ago when I had a cable television show. I decided to tape the second performance live at a local club I was working at. The first show was typical of a nightclub environment with the normal amount of talking and noise. As soon as we brought in the cameras and lighting to tape the second show, the whole mood of the room changed! Everyone became quiet and respectful! This is how any audience behaves with cameras rolling.

Finally, I don't really think that the audience was totally cooperative! There were times when people talked and made comments. "I don't think the bill is still in the envelope!" Or what about when I got the number for one girl wrong and she immediately said, "NO! That's wrong!" with delight! Then I "fixed" that and turned it around. That happened throughout the day. On the close-up segments, after I did a number of what I thought was good stuff, one of the girls suddenly said, "Now, THAT'S good!" as though the rest wasn't!

So, there you go. I thought the audience represented pretty much what I find to be the case in most of the shows that I do. Again, yes, they are being recorded and are aware of it. But, how else?

I hope that clarifies some of the comments.

Richard


Sorry, I didn't mean to suggest they were stooges, actors or people paid to give big reactions (although the money you offer if we bust you using stooges would be nice... Smile ).

If I were filming a video or DVD series I would EXACTLY do what L&L have done, and I can only hope that the results would be as good!
santlerconjurer
View Profile
Veteran user
336 Posts

Profile of santlerconjurer
Paid for/dowloaded the e-book on Thursday, can now re-assemble entire deck accurately on my own.

Didn't learn in 15 minutes, but did learn. Was also pleased to learn this is the first magical effect I can practice while boringly swimming my laps at the local health club.

Here's my question: do experienced BCS performers find it necessary to pick the deck up every week to "keep in tune," or does this knowledge stay with you no matter what, like muscle memory?

I've found my mnemonics doesn't go away even with months between performances. What have people found with BCS? (Or perhaps does everybody get so many more performing engagements than I do that nobody can answer?)
Xia
View Profile
Loyal user
London, England
286 Posts

Profile of Xia
I find it stays put. But I still go over the system a few times before I perform it (just to make sure). As it is nearly always in my pocket, I'm pretty good with the system at most times.
"They say time is money...i say time is precious"
"They say the whole is much more than the sum of its Parts...Thats why a man is much more than the sum of his Past!"
rgranville
View Profile
Elite user
Boston area
462 Posts

Profile of rgranville
Quote:
Here's my question: do experienced BCS performers find it necessary to pick the deck up every week to "keep in tune," or does this knowledge stay with you no matter what, like muscle memory?


It stays with me, but I innately have a strong memory for numbers and formulas. That's probably why I was a math major...
:pepper:
Skitch
View Profile
Veteran user
Philadelphia
400 Posts

Profile of Skitch
I was wondering what would be the difference from a Marked Deck to a stacked deck? Now I know the simple difference, but I guess what I am asking for is effects and how the specttor plays a part. I don't have either a marked deck or a stacking system, but I would like to know the difference. Also, is it good to have both? Or if you have one, is the other not needed?

Thank you.
§kitch
Suffolk
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of Suffolk
Skitch, a stacked deck is no use to you if you can't do a false shuffle.

Regards,

Doug
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I'm afraid, Skitch, that you will only get more confusing (but accurate) answers like Doug's to your question since this is the open forum!
Steve Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1119 Posts

Profile of Steve Martin
Hello,

On Richard's site it says, "Imagine being able to name a card a spectator has chosen without looking at the cards. You just look in their eyes and name it as if you were reading their minds."

That is exactly what I am looking for, for a routine I am putting together. Exciting.

I don't know the BCS (yet) but do need to know this first: Can you do this without looking at ANY of the cards at all?! I presume some sort of glimpse is necessary, but I don't know for sure. If so, this would need to be the most undetectable glimpse in the universe for what I want to do!

Also - I agree with an earlier post that a stack is perhaps strengthened by good false shuffling. Does the system cover that aspect too?

Thanks.
Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking.
Albert Einstein
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Profile of enriqueenriquez
Steve,

Regarding the glimpse, your intuitions are correct.

Osterlind’s manuscript is excellent. You will find suggestions and solutions for all your questions there. The BCS is a great tool that you will be able to apply on many ways.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Osterlind Breakthrough Card System (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL