The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Osterlind Breakthrough Card System (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
That's much easier then the 95 Kings suggestion!

I learnt the system yesterday and tried it today on a friend asking them to cut the card to the face then bury it in the deck so I can not see it, etc. (I used the exact patter from the video.

Although my calculation were correct, I got it WRONG which leads me to believe that the spectator did the wrong thing whilst my back was turn.

Since I am strong believer in the 'there are no bad spectators just bad magicians', I was wondering how I can check that the spectator has followed my instructions.
chiz
View Profile
New user
Liverpool, England
94 Posts

Profile of chiz
I did the card to pocket effect yesterday, but under slightly 'different' conditions.

I gave the deck to the spectator, and he did an overhand shuffle, then kind of a faro shuffle! I was a gutted he messed it up, but I saw it wasn't a thorough overhand shuffle, and the riffle was a perfect faro in the middle. So I quickly thought to myself that if he cuts the deck, and 'burns' the top card, then I can carry on as usual. Thank God I did see right, since the effect worked, and I got my most impossible piece of magic ive ever performed!
______
Ben
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
I like the 9 to 5 Dolly Parton thing!

As for the spectator cutting correctly, I guess all I can say about that is it's how you handle the spectators. Please review my videos again and pay strict attention to the wording and what I say to the person before he does anything. Notice how I build up the importance of the effect (and their part in it) and how I demonstrate how he is to cut the deck. Also notice how I watch him cut it a few times before I turn my back. And also, and this wasn't pointed out on the videos, notice how I use my peripheral vision to kind of keep an eye on him.

Finally, and I guess this comes with experience, I try to keep them under control and not give them a chance to screw up. Again, this is hard to explain, but if you review all the performances, pay attention to how I am always saying, "Do this" or "do that". Even if it just means where to sit, how to stand, where to look. If you get the audience used to following your instructions before they have a chance to screw up, they probably won't! It also lets you figure out who the trouble makers are and lets you avoid them! (Beware of that old saying about making such a person your assistant and winning him over. Sometimes it can work, but if it doesn't you are in trouble!)

Richard
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
I have had some BCS nightmares, too! So far I have not had the spectator shuffle BEFORE but after, meaning I had to go and reset. It caused me no end of hassle. Fancy letting these people touch the cards! lol

I also had a guy call out the next card during the effect when the spectator pulled out a handful of cards. I panicked, thinking he must know the system. As it turned out...coincidence.
John LeBlanc
View Profile
Special user
Houston, TX
524 Posts

Profile of John LeBlanc
Quote:
On 2004-02-22 07:05, osterlind wrote:
Finally, and I guess this comes with experience, I try to keep them under control and not give them a chance to screw up. Again, this is hard to explain, but if you review all the performances, pay attention to how I am always saying, "Do this" or "do that". Even if it just means where to sit, how to stand, where to look. If you get the audience used to following your instructions before they have a chance to screw up, they probably won't!

That is excellent, excellent advice, Richard. Thanks for bringing that into the light.

Sometimes it's good to remember what it's like being a "normal person" (not a performer). Generally, most people are petrified at the thought of having to get up in front of an audience to begin with. No one wants to look stupid, especially in front of peers.

Just like anyone else's fear of public speaking, those willies come from the fear of the unknown. "What's he going to do to me?"

Sometimes that fear causes them to not pay close attention to what you want them to do. Speaking slowly, carefully, and looking them in the eyes when its something important (like not screwing up a stack!) helps overcome their fears. They have clear, explicit instructions, so they feel better about the situation and are more likely to help you. (Which sure beats the alternative.)

This fear, by the way, is not entirely a bad thing. One of the greatest tricks ever is "Ashes to Palm" (Harry Lorayne's "The Magic Book," among other places.) Eugene Burger's presentation (called "Voodoo Ritual" in his book "Intimate Power") puts to good use a spectator's fear of screwing up as the perfect misdirection to do the deed. In the book, when Eugene asks the spectator to hold out her hands and she does so, he snaps slightly, "No...like this!" and he adjusts her hands.

I started using this tip the day I got "Intimate Power" and have found -- by and large -- that the audience empathizes with the spectator at that moment, so they are all drawn away from "the work" being done.

And while I'm on the subject, it's also good to remember that we, as the performing magician, have "the power" when we are "on" -- we are in control, we are the authority (or we should be unless our act is playing the part of a goofy dunce.) If we state something with conviction and congruency, it is so. To the degree we relinquish or diminish that control in the eyes of the audience, we are less magicians and just another Joe doing a handful of tricks.

Just another opinion.

John LeBlanc
Houston, TX
Escamoteurettes, my blog.

"One thought fills immensity." -- William Blake
chiz
View Profile
New user
Liverpool, England
94 Posts

Profile of chiz
Just wondering what some of your thoughts are on using an Invisible Deck as a kicker to the Corinda effect on the DVD. I was just thinking about it before; I might go and try it out later on.
______
Ben
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Thanks, Richard, I'll keep that in mind.

I did try it again last night at a family function on my sister-in-law, and she dropped the cards. Luckily, she picked them up in the right order, so the trick worked.

ARGHH!

I might try the card in pocket. It's a little less stress inducing!

Great stack, BTW!
Leo B. Domapias
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Leo B. Domapias
Quote:
On 2004-02-12 19:24, salsa_dancer wrote:

...I got the DVD on Tuesday morning, and within 15 minutes I had learnt the system. This system has got to be worth the price of the whole DVD set!

The BCS in 15 minutes? I feel so inadequate I may need help.

I spent the whole afternoon yesterday learning the system, and all I managed to accomplish was something like this: “The card in your right pocket is uhmm...aahh...hmmm...the Queen of...(15 seconds of silence while mentally groping for the suit)...aahh..uhhmm...hmmm...(eyes fixed to the ceiling)...Hearts.”

The spectator takes the card out of his pocket. It’s not the Queen of Hearts!

Never mind the card in the left pocket... (Sigh.)

I think I need two or three more afternoons to get the system down pat. It’s such a gem of a system that I don’t want to rush learning it and then present it like a swimmer gulping for air in an ocean of “uhhmms…” and “aahhhs…” My ultimate goal is to perform it nearly as smoothly as Richard does it---if that’s an attainable goal, at all.

Ben Benjay
Manila, Philippines
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-02-22 23:32, Leo B. Domapias wrote:
Quote:

...I got the DVD on Tuesday morning, and within 15 minutes I had learnt the system. This system has got to be worth the price of the whole DVD set!

I spent the whole afternoon yesterday learning the system, and all I managed to accomplish was something like this: “The card in your right pocket is uhmm...aahh...hmmm...the Queen of...(15 seconds of silence while mentally groping for the suit)...aahh..uhhmm...hmmm...(eyes fixed to the ceiling)...Hearts.”

I think I need two or three more afternoons to get the system down pat. It’s such a gem of a system that I don’t want to rush learning it and then present it like a swimmer gulping for air in an ocean of “uhhmms…” and “aahhhs…” My ultimate goal is to perform it nearly as smoothly as Richard does it---if that’s an attainable goal, at all.

Ben Benjay
Manila, Philippines

Ben,

I don't mean to be critical here, but you said you studied the trick for ONE afternoon and all you could manage was ..... Does that mean you attempted to PERFORM it on the same day? I wouldn't do that with even the simplest self-working effect! You have to not only learn (technically) how to DO an effect, but think about it for days to feel comfortable with it and develop a presentation. Then, after doing it for awhile and working out the bugs, will it become a good piece.

Some of the other comments I have read about people using the system for the first time, lead me to suspect that they, also, are not following this basic rule of magic.

_______

Quote:
On 2004-02-22 13:47, chiz wrote:
Just wondering what some of your thoughts are on using an Invisible Deck as a kicker to the Corinda effect on the DVD. I was just thinking about it before; I might go and try it out later on.
______
Ben

Ben,

I don't think that is a good idea. I understand your thinking, but it is always better, if you are going to use a gimmicked deck, to use it FIRST and then switch it out. I know you may be thinking that the effect of the ID is stronger and should follow the other, but by then you have already switched out the deck and will be left holding a very Unexaminable prop! I personally start off with the Radar Deck and then switch in the BCS deck.

Just my thoughts,

Richard
Sven Rygh
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway.
1945 Posts

Profile of Sven Rygh
I wholeheartedly second Richard on this.

When I first got the BCS, I learned the system in a couple of days. When this is said, I also must mention that I didn't show it to a living soul for weeks (actually a full month).

Maybe I am a little slow on this compared to others, but I need time to digest and think about what I learned. After that, I always use a lot of time to think about how I actually would perform the routine, and to whom.

Then I visualize the performance in my head, foreward and backward, starting to work on the patter. THEN I start to practice the whole routine---and end up with recording it on my video cam. Watching myself do the routine automatically leads to adjustments and need for improvement.

I also have a hand-held tape-recorder in my car, and practice the patter to and from my office until I get it right.

Only then, after all this, I try the routine out on my most skeptical audience (you guessed right,....my wife and family!) Smile
After further adjustments, I feel I am ready enough to try it out for a real audience.

Well, this is at least how I do it. It works fine for me. Others might have other methods.
However, my opinion is that nobody should perform anything, referring to various dealers adds, "right out of the box" or "5 minutes after you received it". Never ever!

Sven

P.S. Richard, I have been extremely busy work-wise lately. I'll be PMing you about Making Real Magic in a couple of days. Smile
rgranville
View Profile
Elite user
Boston area
462 Posts

Profile of rgranville
Quote:

Obviously, this will get easier with practice, as Mr. Osterlind has noted. But if you read his treatise, Making Magic Real, you'll see how to turn your mental groping to your advantage, not just using the BCS, but for any mental effect.
:banana:
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I agree!

It takes an instant for me to get the card but I concentrate a little longer um and ahhing as if I am probing their thoughts before revealing the card.

I practiced the BCS for a good week before trying it on people. It's just those *** spectators who don't practice their card handling technique! Smile

Unfortunately, whilst I agree that practice is important, the only way to practice audience management is to try it!

Handing a deck of cards to a spectator and turning your back is always a risky prospect!
Leo B. Domapias
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Leo B. Domapias
Hi Richard,

I don’t mind getting critical comments from you. I know anything coming from you---tips, encouragements, or critical reviews---will help speed up my learning the BCS.

In my post above, I was poking fun at my own inadequacy.

The author of the original post said he learned the system in 15 minutes. For the life of me, I couldn’t learn the BCS that fast. In 15 minutes, I was still jotting down the order of the cards as you are dictating it on the video. I spent maybe an additional 25 minutes culling the cards according to your stack (clumsily dropping some of them, messing up the arrangement somehow, and starting over again, etc.). So 40 minutes had elapsed, and I had not learned anything yet! I thought I must be out of everybody’s league, or my learning technique is ineffective, or my I.Q. is just not up to the task. Anyway, I find my bumbling attempt to learn the system funny, not frustrating, when compared to the rapid progress of other learners.

Nope, I did not perform any trick using the BCS that same afternoon. I tried the Two Cards in Pocket with my teenage son, who is my regular assistant in my magic shows (he’s the “spectator” I referred to in my previous post), just to test myself how well I understood the system and how far I had progressed. Not far, I found out to my dismay.

Thank you for the tips you so generously shared. I hope more are coming, particularly in the aspect of learning (not performing, as I’m not yet there) the system.

Ben Benjay
Manila, Philippines
Uriah Fuller
View Profile
New user
SuperMind
59 Posts

Profile of Uriah Fuller
I would suggest buying the e-book version of the BCS from Richard. It's only $15, instantly downloadable and gives you intricate information on the system, the set-up, shortcuts, mnemonics, etc., that can make learning and using the system easier than from the DVD's. It also details several different peeks that Richard uses with the system (only a couple of which were revealed in the DVDs). Plus it includes the complete routines and performance tips that you can use (including a bonus "magician's only" routine not revealed on the videos). I have it in my mentalism library and find it a great adjunct to the video explanations.

You can find the e-book version of the BCS at: http://www.osterlindmysteries.com/store1.htm

Uriah
What confessions can you make when your Supermind stands awake - UF
Kim
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Kim
Quote:

It also lets you figure out who the trouble-makers are and lets you avoid them! (Beware of that old saying about making such a person your assistant and winning him over. Sometimes it can work, but if it doesn't you are in trouble!)

Richard

At this time I would like to point out that one of the audience members made the L&L videos almost impossible to watch. They should be re-edited with that individual being taken out completely. If it had been anyone doing these videos other than Richard Osterlind, I would have sent them back for a refund.
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Quote:
On 2004-02-23 19:01, Leo B. Domapias wrote:
Hi Richard,

I don’t mind getting critical comments from you. I know anything coming from you---tips, encouragements, or critical reviews---will help speed up my learning the BCS.

In my post above, I was poking fun at my own inadequacy.

The author of the original post said he learned the system in 15 minutes. For the life of me, I couldn’t learn the BCS that fast. In 15 minutes, I was still jotting down the order of the cards as you are dictating it on the video. I spent maybe an additional 25 minutes culling the cards according to your stack (clumsily dropping some of them, messing up the arrangement somehow, and starting over again, etc.). So 40 minutes had elapsed, and I had not learned anything yet! I thought I must be out of everybody’s league, or my learning technique is ineffective, or my I.Q. is just not up to the task. Anyway, I find my bumbling attempt to learn the system funny, not frustrating, when compared to the rapid progress of other learners.

Nope, I did not perform any trick using the BCS that same afternoon. I tried the Two Cards in Pocket with my teenage son, who is my regular assistant in my magic shows (he’s the “spectator” I referred to in my previous post), just to test myself how well I understood the system and how far I had progressed. Not far, I found out to my dismay.

Thank you for the tips you so generously shared. I hope more are coming, particularly in the aspect of learning (not performing, as I’m not yet there) the system.

Ben Benjay
Manila, Philippines

Dear Ben,

I'm very sorry if I seemed to be criticizing you. I sure didn't mean it to come across that way. I do know there are some who do just that. They buy an effect in the afternoon (or read about it) then put it into their show that night! Then, when it doesn't play, they blame the effect!

Also, please be aware that I am never sure of just who I am talking to and what experience you have. I'm glad that you didn't do what I wrongly accused you of! Sorry!

Let me give you a quick tip for practicing the system. Mix up the deck. Then spread it out on your couch or bed in three rows so that you can see all the cards. Start picking them up in the BCS order. Do this a couple of times a day (or more if you are ambitious!)and you will soon have it down.

I don't know if the book has that much more in it than the video, but some people LEARN better from books. I, myself, am a poor learner and I usually go for the book first then use the video to see how the performer does something and how I imagined it. But either the book or the video should give you enough information to master thoroughly the system.

I hope this little hint helps.
________

Quote:
On 2004-02-24 07:56, Kim wrote:
Quote:

It also lets you figure out who the trouble makers are and lets you avoid them! (Beware of that old saying about making such a person your assistant and winning him over. Sometimes it can work, but if it doesn't you are in trouble!)

Richard

At this time I would like to point out that one of the audience members made the L&L videos almost impossible to watch.They should be re-edited with that individual being taken out completely. If it had been anyone doing these videos other than Richard Osterlind I would have sent them back for a refund.

Dear Kim,

I suppose you are referring to John. He is a very likable person, and that's just the way he is.

The performers of the L&L videos really have no control over who the audience members will be. I understand your feelings about some of his actions, but on the other hand, that's what audiences are like in the real world. I often have someone in the audience who has to say or do something (either intentional or not) that puts a strain on the performer. How you deal with them can be a lesson in itself.

The important thing, however, is whether or not the videos TEACH. I felt very good that Jim Sisti and I covered so much in the explanation segments. That is where I felt we did our finest work.

Sincerely,

Richard
Suffolk
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of Suffolk
Quote:
On 2004-02-24 08:30, osterlind wrote:
I suppose you are referring to John. He is a very likable person and that's just the way he is.

Richard,

If "John" is the loud guy with the mustache who sat in the front row, then I think he was a god-send for a teaching video.

On Volume One, the way you handled him and got extra "moments" from him, was one of the most valuable things I learned from the video.

Thanks again,

Doug
Kim
View Profile
Elite user
406 Posts

Profile of Kim
It probably is who you said. Is the real world like that? Most definitely. I was just saying it made the videos hard to watch at times.

Did you handle him well? Masterfully. As I have said here and in other posts, I believe I got more value out of this DVD set than anything I can remember in recent history Smile

The only thing I am having problems with (so far ) is the CT. I have a few ideas on how that could be taught a little better. Looks like I'm going to have to fork over the money for the book. I don't mind that. I just mind the waiting to get it. Making Magic Real and Making Real Magic and the BCS are all excellent purchases.
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Quote:
On 2004-02-23 06:36, osterlind wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-02-22 23:32, Leo B. Domapias wrote:
Quote:

Ben Benjay
Manila, Philippines

Ben,

I don't mean to be critical here, but you said you studied the trick for ONE afternoon and all you could manage was ..... Does that mean you attempted to PERFORM it on the same day? I wouldn't do that with even the simplest self-working effect! You have to not only learn (technically) how to DO an effect, but think about it for days to feel comfortable with it and develop a presentation. Then, after doing it for awhile and working out the bugs, will it become a good piece.

Some of the other comments I have read about people using the system for the first time, lead me to suspect that they, also, are not following this basic rule of magic.

I did in fact learn the BCS in 15 minutes, but that is only because mental arithmetic comes as easy to me as the alphabet to most people. I used it the very same day in an effect that I have been doing for a while that I used to use sleight-of-hand, so this took ALL the work out and enabled me to present this in a smooth unexplainable manner! Thank you, Richard!

I would never dream of doing an effect straight out of the packet normally...
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Well, you "danced" your way out of that one!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Osterlind Breakthrough Card System (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL