The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Osterlind Breakthrough Card System (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Steve Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1119 Posts

Profile of Steve Martin
Enrique,

Do you mean it's "the most undetectable glimpse in the universe"?
Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking.
Albert Einstein
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Steve,

Don't forget, there are many ways to glimpse a card without it even looking like you have even looked at the deck.... Don't be put off by the glimpse, I have used this system VERY effectively and people believe you can read their mind.... even the skeptics I know are having a hard time coming up with any plausible explanations...
enriqueenriquez
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1287 Posts

Profile of enriqueenriquez
Steve,

Osterlind shows a couple of very indetectable glimpses but, in my opinion, the glimpse will be as indetectable as you can make it.

Remember something: people only can perceive what they already know.

But the manuscript and the method is about a lot more than a glimpse.
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Steve,

Get onto the website and buy it... enough talk!! lol

You will not be disappointed, this is exactly what you are looking for...!
Steve Martin
View Profile
Inner circle
1119 Posts

Profile of Steve Martin
I have just bought the manuscript. Very good.

Ideas are formulating in my head... there is no substitute for reading... Smile

Thank you, Mr. Osterlind.
Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking.
Albert Einstein
Spinman
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Spinman
Osterlind is a genius whose time for recognition is long overdue. I've been using this system since day one, over twenty years now. To say the least, it's incredible. Thanks to L&L for producing the DVD's and thanks to Richard for sharing.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I've fooled people into thinking I am reading their body language!
Axman
View Profile
Veteran user
340 Posts

Profile of Axman
I think Richard Osterlind is an all time great in our field. Up there with Malini, Vernon, Leipzig, Kaps and other great minds and performers.
His works are among the most special magical things I own.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
I forgot to mention peviously when we were discussing using an ID with the Corinda effect. Instead of using an ID AFTER the card is revealed, you can do the routine as a do-as-I-do routine. You BOTH place the cards behind your back and turn one card upside down in the middle, you using an ID and the spect using the OBCS!

You can spread through your cards BEFORE the spectator, showing one card facedown! Its not mentalism but it is very strong as it creates the impression that the spectator has choosen the same card as you and not the other way around!
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5018 Posts

Profile of landmark
Ooh, nice. That should fool a few magicians.

Jack Shalom
Joshua Lozoff
View Profile
Inner circle
Chapel Hill, NC
1332 Posts

Profile of Joshua Lozoff
If you use an ID with the Breakthrough Card System (or any stack or marked deck) you should absolutely reveal your card from the ID before the spectator reveals theirs. That's the whole point.

And no, it won't fool any magicians, but it's still very, very powerful.
Joshua Lozoff

joshualozoff.com
czero
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC
282 Posts

Profile of czero
Quote:
On 2004-02-24 07:56, Kim wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-02-22 07:05, osterlind wrote:
I like the 9 to 5 Dolly Parton thing!


It also lets you figure out who the trouble-makers are and lets you avoid them! (Beware of that old saying about making such a person your assistant and winning him over. Sometimes it can work, but if it doesn't you are in trouble!)

Richard


At this time I would like to point out that one of the audience members made the L&L videos almost impossible to watch. They should be re-edited with that individual being taken out completely. If it had been anyone doing these videos other than Richard Osterlind, I would have sent them back for a refund.




Am I the only one who actually really LIKED John? Smile If I were performing, I'd kill for an audience member with half his enthusiasm. It's infectious; the crowd gets even more fired up.

Granted, if I were half as skilled as Richard Osterlind, I wouldn't need any help priming the audience. But I have to admit, getting such responses is just plain gratifying. People like John, Janelle (not sure how that's spelled), and Kevin ("Someone's got to hit me!"), with their wide-eyed looks and exclamations of astonishment...they're what make this type of performing so worthwhile.

My hat's off to Richard. His Mental Mysteries DVD set is the most valuable purchase I've made in years. These discs worth MANY times over their modest cost. I just hope everyone buying this material treats it with the respect it deserves.

--Mike
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Quote:
On 2004-03-04 16:18, Axman wrote:
I think Richard Osterlind is an all time great in our field. Up there with Malini, Vernon, Leipzig, Kaps and other great minds and performers.
His works are among the most special magical things I own.




Thank God I have a wife and kids to keep my head where it belongs! Smile

Richard

I seemed to have shut down this thread with my comment! I was, however, thinking about what Axman wrote. I, of course, know that if I live another 40 or 50 years I might just begin to approach the genius of those you named. But what is more interesting to me is that all you named are "magicians!" I get very irritated at some mentalists who put down magicians and don't consider what they do to be "equal" to the "miracles" accomplished by mindreaders. Look at the men Axman named: Malini, Kaps, Leipzig, Vernon. When these men performed, the audience saw MAGIC! REAL MAGIC! People still talk today about the impact these magicians had on their audiences. I have no doubt that when Malini left a town, the impression he created was as great as any mentalist ever had. I have no doubt that people talked as highly about him as others did about Dunninger, Reese and all the other legendary mind workers. It is all part of the SAME ART and any branch of magic, well-performed, can achieve the same high degree of impact!

Richard
czero
View Profile
Loyal user
NYC
282 Posts

Profile of czero
Richard,

In the performances on your Mind Mysteries DVDs, I for one really enjoy it when you punctuate the mentalism with the occasional straight magic effect. And judging by the crowd's reactions, so do most people. Smile To those elitists who say the two should never be mixed, I would say check out Mr. Osterlind and get back to me. (Your take on the coin-in-bottle will have me finally tossing away gaffed quarters for good. :-D )

And you're far too modest. I'm sure that most here would agree with me. You definitely belong in the company of the greats.

I've learned TONS from you--and I don't just mean all the fantastic effects on Mental Mysteries. In addition to technical explanations, you offer a wealth of knowledge on those little (but crucial) psychological subtleties that elevate a simple trick into a miracle. You demonstrate the importance of building a rapport with your audience. You show how well naturalness and humor can augment a performance.

When I first viewed your DVDs, I just watched the performances. Then I watched them again. And again. It was three or four days of repeated viewings before I finally relented and started to check out the explanations. I enjoyed your show too much to ruin it by learning how you did it. Smile

I'd like to someday be as good as you are technically...but I'd like even more to be able to bond with the audience the way you do. There were so many "moments" where you really seemed to connect with the crowd or one of its members.

--Mike
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
I have to agree, I was being drawn down the route that magic and mentalism should NEVER be mixed yet we see a master at work utilising this very principle.

This is a guy that obviously has great rapport with people, a skill that is very hard to come by and even harder to maintain a modest attitude with.

Wives and kids are there to keep you firmly on the ground Richard, but I think you should allow yourself to soar a little as you have a little of the 'magic' that made these names great and yours too.

You also show a patience and understanding to those who may be starting out and this is the sign of a great teacher also.

I still wonder how I managed without the BCS and the radar deck before I saw your DVD's..... keep it coming!!
Richard Osterlind
View Profile
V.I.P.
2213 Posts

Profile of Richard Osterlind
Quote:
On 2004-03-21 17:19, czero wrote:

Richard,

In the performances on your Mind Mysteries DVDs, I for one really enjoy it when you punctuate the mentalism with the occasional straight magic effect. And judging by the crowd's reactions, so do most people. Smile To those elitists who say the two should never be mixed, I would say check out Mr. Osterlind and get back to me. (Your take on the coin-in-bottle will have me finally tossing away gaffed quarters for good. :-D )

And you're far too modest. I'm sure that most here would agree with me. You definitely belong in the company of the greats.

I've learned TONS from you--and I don't just mean all the fantastic effects on Mental Mysteries. In addition to technical explanations, you offer a wealth of knowledge on those little (but crucial) psychological subtleties that elevate a simple trick into a miracle. You demonstrate the importance of building a rapport with your audience. You show how well naturalness and humor can augment a performance.

When I first viewed your DVDs, I just watched the performances. Then I watched them again. And again. It was three or four days of repeated viewings before I finally relented and started to check out the explanations. I enjoyed your show too much to ruin it by learning how you did it. Smile

I'd like to someday be as good as you are technically...but I'd like even more to be able to bond with the audience the way you do. There were so many "moments" where you really seemed to connect with the crowd or one of its members.

--Mike





Mike,

Your posting hit home with me. I am constantly trying to improve my work and always thinking about new ideas. My "Making Real" series represents a continuing search for what is important in our art. The third installment will be called "Essays" and will be a series of such on different aspects of magic. Your posting gave me one such topic!

To anyone reading this, think about Mike's comment that he received the videos and watched them for days BEFORE reading how they were done! It is often said in magic that if it is performed correctly audiences won't care HOW it was done and will just enjoy the performance. Mike's comment that "he didn't want to know" goes one step further. And it falls right in line with comments I have heard from laymen after my show. Someone will say, "I wonder how you did all that," and someone else will say, "I don't WANT TO KNOW!" The honest meaning of this is: OF COURSE THERE IS A WAY BUT I AM ENJOYING IT TOO MUCH TO WANT TO KNOW THE METHOD!

Do you see where this goes. All the worry about laymen finding out methods on the Internet become meaningless. I am certainly not proposing that we do not concern ourselves with keeping our secrets, but if we take routines, add our own dimension to them, and perform them in the right way, you secrets will be safe!

Just thoughts.

Richard

Quote:
On 2004-03-21 18:52, salsa_dancer wrote:
I have to agree, I was being drawn down the route that magic and mentalism should NEVER be mixed yet we see a master at work utilising this very principle.

This is a guy that obviously has great rapport with people, a skill that is very hard to come by and even harder to maintain a modest attitude with.

Wives and kids are there to keep you firmly on the ground Richard, but I think you should allow yourself to soar a little as you have a little of the 'magic' that made these names great and yours too.

You also show a patience and understanding to those who may be starting out and this is the sign of a great teacher also.

I still wonder how I managed without the BCS and the radar deck before I saw your DVD's..... keep it coming!!


Salsa dancer,

Thank you for the kind remarks. You say I have a great repport with people that is hard to come by. Let me now give you the secret!

I LIKE PEOPLE. The great truth that comes from both my religious feelings and my study of life is simply this: If you want people to like you, you have to like them first. Not a patronizing attitude that the audience can readily see through, but a firm conviction that we are all God's creatures and all have something special and unique to offer. Strive for that first and all the rest comes automatically.

Richard
salsa_dancer
View Profile
Inner circle
1935 Posts

Profile of salsa_dancer
Richard,

That is probably one of the best pieces of advice that has been given. I strive to treat my fellow man with patience and understanding, and although sometimes it fails me at rush hour Smile the intention is always there.

I teach people to dance and the 'difficult' pupils always ask me how I can be so patient with them week in and week out and my answer is always because I want to, and enjoy seeing them succeed.

In magic the desire has always been for me to achieve a feeling in the spectator that I have performed something real and not just a parlour trick. This is something that is apparent that you do achieve..

It is easy to like people, but not everyone will allow themselves to, so when I say that it is a hard skill to acquire I mean that, because the hardest thing to do sometimes is to like people.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Osterlind Breakthrough Card System (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL