The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Best Gypsy Thread Routine (7 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Zlwin Chew
View Profile
Elite user
Malaysian Magician with
443 Posts

Profile of Zlwin Chew
I have an interest in studying the Gypsy Thread and have seen Paul Romhany do it live but with an everyday use object - Dental Floss. I have also seen videos of Shawn Farquhar doing hia routine. And I have a DVD of Dan Sperry teaching his routine.

Who in your opinion has some of the best routines around? Would like to hear your thoughts on this.
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1622 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
In my opinion, Nic Niberco had the best Gypsy Thread routine.
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21944 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
There is actually only one Gypsy Thread Routine. By routine, I mean the mechanics of the trick. The routine can very by many different magician, but most all do the trick the same way. Billy McComb for years would tell stories while performing the standard thread trick handling.

Recently, there is a new Mark Mason Yo Yo Version that is different in handling and a Tony Clark helium Balloon version.

The original Basting Thread made in the U.K. is no longer made or available, so many people have been using different kinds of thread, string, and even Floss.

I have not seen really anything different when it come to the Gypsy Thread, except the person doing it.

There is at least 50 or more published versions of this trick out in magic for over 60 years. It is hard to recommend one that you might like.

Be like me and others who really want to perform a certain trick, buy them all, learn them all and then make your choice.

I suggest you buy this book, as it has a lot of the classics in magic you can learn, with variations by other performers. Check out Ali Bongo's Gypsy Thread routine.

http://www.llpub.com/zenshop/index.php?m......_id=2691

P.S. Nick Niberco is deceased for many years now, his Double Gypsy Thread was very good. If interested in obtaining the instructions PM me to purchase the instructions.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
Zlwin Chew
View Profile
Elite user
Malaysian Magician with
443 Posts

Profile of Zlwin Chew
THANK YOU, Kabbalah and Bill for both your reply.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5837 Posts

Profile of motown
What makes Gypsy Thread is the story you wrap around it. Check out Shawn Farquhar's as an example.

There are different techniques for setting up the string.

Here's a list I put together that may be of help to you:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&start=0
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21944 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Sure, different ways to set up the thread, there is the right way, and then there is the wrong way. Everyone one I have uses the figure 8.

Zlwin Chew
View Profile
Elite user
Malaysian Magician with
443 Posts

Profile of Zlwin Chew
Nick Lewin just posted this on his Facebook. Looks like he is releasing a new Gypsy Routine soon?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=......7&type=1
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
21944 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On May 29, 2015, Zlwin Chew wrote:
Nick Lewin just posted this on his Facebook. Looks like he is releasing a new Gypsy Routine soon?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=......7&type=1

I am sure it will be very good. Nick's magic offerings are from his acts he performed for many years on Cruise Ships.

Zlwin Chew
View Profile
Elite user
Malaysian Magician with
443 Posts

Profile of Zlwin Chew
I just saw the one by Mark Mason. YoYo Gypsy!

Looks like tis' the season to be jolly full of Gypsies! Smile
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1406 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Personally, I love Gypsy Floss. I learned it from Tom Jones years ago when he was lecturing with Rachael Wild. For me, the floss container and built in cutter just seem perfect for this close up effect.

The best way I've found to present it is to tell a story about my daughter running up to me and telling me how she learned to floss her teeth (as I'm saying this I start breaking off small pieces). I ask her why she has so many pieces of floss and I say that she tells me there is one for each tooth. I tell her that it's really done using one big long piece. Then I make a sad face after that (like my daughter would have) and tell the spectators that she says, well you're magic Daddy, you can fix it, blah blah blah... restore thread. Your mileage may vary...
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Zlwin Chew
View Profile
Elite user
Malaysian Magician with
443 Posts

Profile of Zlwin Chew
Kallix,

Wow! Your patter is brilliant. I could see it going well with an emotional song. Then see the audience welling in tears and smiling Smile

I first saw the Gypsy Floss from Paul Romhany in a lecture in Singapore about 5 years ago. I don't know if he said he created it or learnt it from someone else.

Great piece!
MagicDan3333
View Profile
New user
Sun Prairie, WI
39 Posts

Profile of MagicDan3333
Helpful information, I have been considering adding the Gypsy Thread to my routine.
Zlwin Chew
View Profile
Elite user
Malaysian Magician with
443 Posts

Profile of Zlwin Chew
Quote:
On Jun 4, 2015, MagicDan3333 wrote:
Helpful information, I have been considering adding the Gypsy Thread to my routine.

Good luck and have fun with it Smile
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3590 Posts

Profile of emyers99
One of my favorite effects of all time. Pure magic. I have several versions but I always use floss. So easy and makes the set up quick and the handling super clean.

I recently purchased Nick Lewin's version. I love Nick and he has killer material. His Lemon Aid routine is five minutes of killer comedy. His Gypsy Thread is good but nothing new. He does provide a complete package including music all necessary gimmicks and two spools of the easiest to break thread I've ever seen. The routine is ok but no one will use it because it won't fit most people. He teaches his personal set up and includes a tool to help with the set up. Doesn't use a figure 8. He also includes his custom thread holder that is gimmicked slightly to make the unwinding easy.

For my money, the floss is still the hands down winner, even on stage, but Nick's routine is solid. If you already do the effect, you won't really get anything new out of Nick's routine, but if you are new to the plot, this is worth your consideration.
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
618 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
Tony Clark's Gypsy Balloon is a nice effect. Easy to create a nice story with it. Very clean. Nice give-away.

Just got Mark Mason's Gypsy YoYo. Easy effect to add into any show
sdmagic
View Profile
Special user
685 Posts

Profile of sdmagic
Check out Lonnie Chevrie's "String 'Em Up" Torn and restored Dental floss routine. It is on his Outlaw Magic DVD #1. See it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bJtxIN-tZA

sdmagic
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1725 Posts

Profile of wally
Hi, I have the worlds greatest Gypsy thread dvd, But just looking for any others out there for a close up routine, Has anyone got info for Nick Nerbercos, I don't think there is a comedy Gypsy thread ???? magicwalsh@gmail.com
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1725 Posts

Profile of wally
Hi, I have the worlds greatest Gypsy thread dvd, But just looking for any others out there for a close up routine, Has anyone got info for Nick Nerbercos, I don't think there is a comedy Gypsy thread ???? magicwalsh@gmail.com
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
When I first saw Gypsy Thread done with Floss....something like 20 years ago...the patter was that you always get to the end of the container with a little piece left too short to use. You then demonstrate how, because you are cheap (let's call it "thrifty",) you save those little end pieces up and make them into one, long usable piece.

Common object, Identifiable premise, easy to carry, self-contained...Floss is hard to beat for GT
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
5837 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On May 28, 2015, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Sure, different ways to set up the thread, there is the right way, and then there is the wrong way. Everyone one I have uses the figure 8.
While many Gypsy Thread routines use the traditional figure 8 method, there are some that don't that work just as well.
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Best Gypsy Thread Routine (7 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL