The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Proactive Performing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Martin Whetter
View Profile
New user
Red Deer, Canada
14 Posts

Profile of Martin Whetter
I enjoy close-up magic as a hobby but I don't get a chance to perform (for public) as often as I would like to as my family and work take up most of my time. I am sure I am not unique in this respect. (As a good friend has told me before: Marty, you are unique...just like everybody else. How reassuring.)
Anyway, I was wondering if any of you perform your effects on folks who don't request it i.e. cashiers, clerks, people in line-ups, etc. To me, this is like cold call selling and I have only tried it a few times with so-so results.
If any of you do this, can you share some ideas on the approach, effects, patter, etc. Thanks in advance.
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3027 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
I have used magic rarely for cashiers or clerks, though I have made a coin disappear as I handed it out, etc. Silly little things that get the cashier to wake up Smile

As for people in line-ups, I found that when the officer says everyone face forward and stare at the mirror wall, its not the best time to perform Smile

All kidding aside, the coin roll is a great flourish to learn. It is pretty inocuous, rolling a coin across your fingers. Though people often will catch notice, and ask what you are doing. The door is left wide open at this point.

Dan
Click to visit:
Stuart Hooper
View Profile
Special user
Mithrandir
759 Posts

Profile of Stuart Hooper
Get something noticable like he says. Coin roll is good, I use a fire wallet, whatever. Just do something that draws notice so someone will ask you to do a trick. Smile
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
When on the road, if I go into a restaurant alone, I'l often take a handful of balloons as well as a deck of cards. When I spot a kid, I'll make a balloon animal, and give it to them. Then, I'll give the Mom or Dad a card and mention that I'm a magician. That often leads to a request to do a trick, and that may lead to interaction with other tables. It's more fun than eating alone, and who knows, a show just might come out of it.
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Proactive Performing (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.36 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL