The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Back for a lil help..... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MontrealMagic
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of MontrealMagic
I picked up a set of cups a while ago (cheap ones, to start) and the Daryl Cups and balls DVD from murphys. I learned the routine, and am comfortable with it, but not really feeling inspired. Anyway, I am hoping someone here can suggest a DVD, book, location of Gazzo so I can kidnap him....to help me progress. I am comfortable with sleights and moves, but I know the importance of details a subtleties. is there a stage 2, or 3 for cups and balls/ is it the Ammar DVD set (http://www.perfectmagic.com/p-23349-cups-balls-michael-ammar-1-video-download.aspx)? Or is the Gazzo DVD the best? I see there are different "steals" and sleights, subtle shifts in angles and I want to learn different routines that progressively get more complex.

Thanks in advance.
J
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1477 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
The Ammar DVD's are very good for learning in stages.
Once you know the different moves and types of moves you should be able to put together your own routine.

I would recommend these rather than the Gazzo stuff as there a quite a few folks performing the Gazzo routine.
"But there isn't a door"
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you ask Gazzo what routine he performs, he will tell you that it is a modification of the Vernon routine.

Regarding routines that progressively get more complex -- that may be a misguided effort. I know of a fellow who performs an extremely clever routine (in his own mind) that has nearly every conceivable move in it. I have heard that it goes on for more than 30 minutes. The reason I can't be more exact than that is that the last time he performed it for his magic club, everyone left before it was over.

The Ammar DVD's are basic. They are what you NEED to develop.

Also, look at Rafael Benatar's DVD. He has a couple of moves that are truly wonderful. Ditto Johnny Thompson.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Yellowcustard
View Profile
Inner circle
New Zealand
1334 Posts

Profile of Yellowcustard
I have not seen the Daryl DVD but knowing a lot of Daryl stuff you probably have plenty o moves and mechanics. I would like to offer a idea to move on from here.

Answer these 3 questions
- Why are you not inspired by your own routine?
- Are people entertained by by the moves?
- What message would you like to deliver with your magic?

I think you need just think of why your doing it, not how your doing?

This is a little absract but hope it helps.
Enjoy your magic,

and let others enjoy it as well!
MontrealMagic
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of MontrealMagic
The Daryl DVD is basic. VERY basic single routine and very little info. Thankfully the DVD was 10$ and I do not feel too ripped off. The Ammar DVD is amazing. A plethora of sleights and routines, history and scripts. If I had one complaint, it would be that the details are left out. Where should the hand go EXACTLY when executing this particular sleight? Does effect 2 just use the pinkie, and what angles are important?

There can be worked out with a little practice and some mirrors, but it would have been perfect to add those things in, a few extra seconds per chapter.

As per your questions,
1- I have no solid routine yet, but am excited to come up with one.
2 - My moves need work before anyone can see them.
3 - I don't get it... is "world peace" a valid answer? Smile

I have thought about watching many other cups and ball routines, but the more I thought about it, I do not want to just copy someone elses. I have a few Ideas, but I need to feel comfortable with the moves and such before I can attempt. Oh well....onward and upward.

my aluminum cups are awful and I think they are plotting to kill me.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
The Stevens DVD is also worth your time. It features Johnny Thompson, Charlie Miller, Mike Rogers, Johnny Paul and Michael Ammar.
bigfoot
View Profile
Special user
502 Posts

Profile of bigfoot
[quote]On May 31, 2015, Bill Palmer wrote:

Regarding routines that progressively get more complex -- that may be a misguided effort. I know of a fellow who performs an extremely clever routine (in his own mind) that has nearly every conceivable move in it. I have heard that it goes on for more than 30 minutes. The reason I can't be more exact than that is that the last time he performed it for his magic club, everyone left before it was over.

Was this Eddie Joseph? some of the routines in his book The Complete Book of Cups and Balls, despite having great ideas, would seem to last a half hour or more.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
There's always Ammar's book on the cups and balls, a great resource.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Back for a lil help..... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL