The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Uriah Fuller (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Czimmerman
View Profile
New user
Markesan, Wisconsin
52 Posts

Profile of Czimmerman
Does anyone know where I can find a reading copy of the two Uriah Fuller books? I was digging thru a box of magic books I bought at a yard sale and found three pages photocopied out of the first book. I really want to read the rest. Thanks.
MentalistCreationLab
View Profile
Inner circle
1528 Posts

Profile of MentalistCreationLab
They were written by Karl Fulves and are out of print. Check H & R Books or one of the bigger magic auctions as they do turn up from time to time although booth are somewhat hard to find.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Actually, Uriah Fuller was a pseudonym of Martin Gardner. Karl Fulves was the publisher.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On May 25, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
Actually, Uriah Fuller was a pseudonym of Martin Gardner. Karl Fulves was the publisher.

YES .. BOB IS CORRECT ON THIS ONE... Congrats Bob!!!!!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On May 25, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:

YES .. BOB IS CORRECT ON THIS ONE... Congrats Bob!!!!!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

??

Congrats for stating a simple fact?

But thanks anyway. Smile
Czimmerman
View Profile
New user
Markesan, Wisconsin
52 Posts

Profile of Czimmerman
Is there any chance that they will be reprinted or put out as an ebook?
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

I doubt it. The book was put out at the height of the Geller craze in the late seventies. I doubt if if would have much relevance to today's readers.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I think it's funny that Geller is selling out magic conventions yet virtually no one knows Fuller Smile

Don't get me wrong .. I loved Martin Gardner. But some mentalists (like Al Mann) at the time, called those who did this type of thing "Party Poopers"

You can find his book on Amazon ...

http://www.amazon.com/Confessions-Psychi......00AN012Y
Czimmerman
View Profile
New user
Markesan, Wisconsin
52 Posts

Profile of Czimmerman
I am a latecomer to magic/mentalism. A friend was a magician in high school. I loved to read the books and learn new things, but the only performing I do is for my 9 kids and various family members and coworkers.

The only thing I ever saw of Geller was the TV show he did with Criss Angel. Phenomenon or something similar.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
That's unfortunate. Geller did a series of shows in countries around the world. He did much better without Criss Angel pulling his lame version of Uriah Fuller on TV.... Smile

Geller was on the cover of Magic Magazine a few years back. He was a big hit at the Genii convention here in Orlando.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

If you're not familiar with the Geller craze of the 1970's, a lot of the book won't make sense to you. It does contain some interesting insights along with a few methods that have long since been refined and improved upon.
Czimmerman
View Profile
New user
Markesan, Wisconsin
52 Posts

Profile of Czimmerman
I was born in 1976. I barely remember Doug Henning and David Copperfield on TV. I really didn't get interested until high school. 1991 - 1995. Then I spent time logging in Montana, and working on the farm and now at the pallet factory. I am getting back into studying and performing for my kids.
Czimmerman
View Profile
New user
Markesan, Wisconsin
52 Posts

Profile of Czimmerman
Do any of the magic magazines have them online for reference? I just want to read them for the sake of reading them.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Not that I'm aware of. But as Slim noted there appear to be used copies available on Amazon. If you're just performing for your kids, though, I doubt they wll give you much that will be useable.

Another book you might want to track down is Tony Shiels' "The Shield' Effect." Like "The Confessions of Uria Fuller" it deals with the strategy behind the rise to fame of another Geller-like fictitious psychic, Tim Finnegan. In many ways it is a much better and more practical book than Gardner's. (At least for the working performer.)

Here's what I wrote about the book in my "39 Steps to Mentalism":

Quote:
The Shiels’ Effect

The Shiels’ Effect was originally released as a special “supplement” to Tony Raven’s “Invocation.” (There were two books in this series. The first was my Pseudomentally Yours in 1977. The Shiels’s book appeared shortly thereafter. As far as I know, these were the only two such supplements Raven published. He must have published quite a few of them, though, because they appear to be readily available.) The Shiels’s Effect appeared while Uri Geller was still a major, and very controversial, figure on the psychic scene.

It was Geller’s leap to fame that provided the book’s premise – how to create a psychic superstar. From the ground up Doc Shiels’ chronicles, the rise to fame of “Tim Finnegan,” from the creation of his image, the methods behind his “psychic” abilities, and his publicity campaign.

There is a lot more in the book that is of great value to the psychic entertainer who is contemplating a new publicity campaign.

The complete 39 Steps, which you may find useful, may be read FOR FREE at: http://www.lybrary.com/thirtynine-steps-mentalism-a-10.html
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Quote:
On May 26, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
If you're not familiar with the Geller craze of the 1970's, a lot of the book won't make sense to you. It does contain some interesting insights along with a few methods that have long since been refined and improved upon.

I remember watching him on the Mike Douglas show, and gathering watches and silverware in front of the TV.
The 70s were an amazing time.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

I was in college when the craze peaked. Several of my professors actually believed that his powers could possibly be real. When I did a few demonstrations for them, they became even more convinced that paychic metal bending was a reality.

That Age of Aquarius was a great time indeed.
Mr Timothy Gray
View Profile
Veteran user
Rue d'Auseil
364 Posts

Profile of Mr Timothy Gray
I maintain that the beauty of Uri is that of all the malicious, duplicitous, evil things he could have done at the height of his career, he just kept bending spoons. It is so idiotic it is profound. And if a slight-of-hand man bending spoons - even if he is claiming psychic power - is worthy of your ire, your view of real world troubles is sadly screwed.
Yr. Obdt. Svt.,
Mr Timothy Gray

Specializing in the Occult Arts of Fortune Telling, Magic & Mediumship; Est. 1986
Czimmerman
View Profile
New user
Markesan, Wisconsin
52 Posts

Profile of Czimmerman
Thank you for all the input. I am still looking for a copy/ebook of each to read.. just for the sake of reading them.
Several people mention Tony Shiel's name to me on this subject... So as funds come in I will start my hunt for his writings.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Quote:
On May 28, 2015, Mr Timothy Gray wrote:
I maintain that the beauty of Uri is that of all the malicious, duplicitous, evil things he could have done at the height of his career, he just kept bending spoons. It is so idiotic it is profound. And if a slight-of-hand man bending spoons - even if he is claiming psychic power - is worthy of your ire, your view of real world troubles is sadly screwed.

I agree 100%!!!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Uriah Fuller (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL