The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » The Problem with Coins Through Table (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
NebA
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of NebA
Hi everyone,

I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed; I tried searching it but did not find any similar results, so please point me to the right thread if there is one already.

I recently performed a coins through table effect for someone, and I asked for her opinion on whether it was impressive or not. She seemed to feel that it was weakened by the fact that my hand was under the table, so it was suspicious because I easily could have been ditching and retrieving coins that were stuck under the table or something like that. Even if I am not doing that (which I was not), it still seems to me that the spectators would be suspicious of any instance where your hand is out of sight, which takes away from the overall effect.

Have any of you experienced this problem? And, if so, have you found any solutions? I love the Coins Through Table plot, but I also want to make sure that it is as impressive for spectators as it is for me.

Thanks a lot.
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2949 Posts

Profile of fonda57
I think it's like anything else, if you perform in a manner that suggests you are trying to outsmart your spectators then they will see things as suspicious. Not that hat I'm suggesting you perform that way.

Still, I also don't care much for that plot, coins thru table. I think the table gets in the way of the magic happening. It's a personal thing, of course.
I j
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Your sleights, patter, misdirection and timing have to be excellent in order to fool the spectators. Check out the coins through table routine in Bobo's "Expert Coin Magic" for valuable insights.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8745 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Many ways to skin a cat with this old classic effect...I always enjoyed this oldie-but-goody from a once great member here…

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmV3Q8cpCkA
*Check out my latest: The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
3986 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Coins through the table is one of the most magical effects I perform. If the audience is convinced the coins are above the table, the penetration is magical. If not, the trick is just a puzzle. It is a classic of magic, and the effect is timeless. If you are not getting a proper reaction, find another routine. Here is mine:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eSroIj3FFQQ
Available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
And if anyone (USA ONLY) needs some of the coin stuff used in the book, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com as I have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5332 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Here's another good example from a current member who unfortunately doesn’t come around much any more - Tim Feher. Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL_SetZPTLk

Jim
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8905 Posts

Profile of funsway
In partial answer to the OP, this can be perfomed with NO hand below the table.

I developed such an effect for a magician with only one hand.

A tall glass like a pilsner is place between the knees under the table.

The coins are covered with the hand and pressed through the table to clink in the glass.

One at a time and uses borrowed quarters and glass.

No video yet and perhaps never -- because a two handed person would ruin the effect.

However, I am thinking of applying the techniques involved in a "standard" effect.

I offer this just to get you thinking of alternatives.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

ShareBooks at www.eversway.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
NebA
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of NebA
Thanks a lot for the answers everyone, I appreciate the advice and the videos.

fonda, arthur, Mb, Michael, and J-Mac: I totally understand what you are saying about needing the performance to be convincing, and thanks for showing me those videos--the performances are excellent!! Still, while I know for sure that I have room to improve in that regard, I just am still a bit worried about the hand under table part because I worry that no matter how smooth I make it, my hand still goes out of sight, which might seem suspicious no matter what. I will do as you say, however, and practice some more because I certainly haven't mastered it yet.

Actually, watching the videos, I have realized part of what I was doing wrong: I should have made the focus above the table, so that the surprising part is when there is one fewer coin than there was before, rather than the surprising part being the revelation of the one under the table. I think I was drawing attention to the coins UNDER the table when I reveal them, whereas if I make the focus on the disappearance then the hand under table will become somewhat of an afterthought. I hope I explained that clearly.

Funsway, thanks for the answer as well, that is quite an interesting idea you mentioned and I will try to think about other ways of doing it. Maybe I could eliminate the table part and use another object??

Again, thanks for the responses.
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10726 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Dean WAS A GENIUS AND HE WILL BE MISSED
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
895 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
And then there is this master -- once through the table; otherwise, just gone. And beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s5XY9PDymQ
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6819 Posts

Profile of Dougini
And then, there is The MASTER! This is the best I have EVER seen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dESTAO6Hl6o

Doug
Dafedas B
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of Dafedas B
Can get very strong reaction when performed adequately. Michael Vincent's flamboyant version is possibly my favourite. If you don't mind using a shell, check out Eric Jones version as well which is very well structured. Several good ideas here and there on the NY seminars if I recall ( including M Rubinstein's routine above ). didn't know Mickey Silver version, but like the idea.
Also, you can have a coin through glass/glass door etc routine, the visual is great a reactions strong.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
I've been a fan of this plot since my early days.
It did and does please audiences.

For a brief time I even used the doll house table version.
I hope my attempt at humor during a post on Kaps was taken lightly.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4837 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
I have 15 handing's In my 1 St hardbound Book! Ending with my Trilogy Routine! Maybe you can Find something You Like !!! Smile
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2949 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Lots of good ones here, I'm gonna starting playing with it again.
I j
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10726 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
HI DOUG, I was with Mickey at the magic castle when he demonstrated his signed coin thru the table .The coin even hit one of the spectators on the ankle as he yelled out loud of my God..
vinny
Come check out my magic.

Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6819 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I have heard about Mickey's Signed Coin Thru The Table! That was at the Castle? Wow. The guy is a true Wizard!

Doug
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10726 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Yes he had the other spectator who WAS A MAGICIAN SIGN THE COIN..
Come check out my magic.

dj
View Profile
Special user
915 Posts

Profile of dj
"Coins Through Table" by James Lewis is also very strong.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » The Problem with Coins Through Table (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL