We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A simple question (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Has anyone mentioned (possible) adultery on the part of the wife? I believe adultery is a crime in some common law states, though not in all.

Probably that is a standard wise guy answer. Smile
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
There is no evidence of that in the facts presented, other than the husband's suspicion. But assume he was correct. Would the planning involved in the offense(s) indicate that the events took place in the heat of passion without premeditation? And recall that the husband's only original intent was to scare the victim.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Before I look at the other replies, arson by both father and son. Murder by the son. Murder by the father because the woman died during the commission of a felony, arson. Probably assault, assault with a deadly weapon, for the father, something like reckless endangerment by the son.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Now read my previous comments. No arson, no felony murder.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I have just read through the rest of the replies and see I am widely off-base. Great question, Bob. I am looking forward to the summing up.

Let's look at it again. The house burning may not be arson, but it could be fraud if the house is insured.

The father, assault and manslaughter, as well as concealing a crime and fraud against the insurers.

The son, murder, conspiracy to murder , concealing a crime, and fraud against the insurers.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On May 26, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
Highly unlikely.

Ah, we've established that they aren't in Tennessee! (Just kidding folks.)
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20661 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I think Greenpeace will come after them for burning the house.

Now they are REALLY going to get it!

Is it possible to just sentence them to "untill my headache goes away"?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Tony- There would only be insurance fraud if they burned the house down with the intent of making an insurance claim. If they made no claim after the burning, there would be no fraud.

Their purpose in burning the house down was to conceal evidence of a crime, not to defraud an insurance company.
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Bob, I still have a fatalist view of how facts can be twisted in a court of law. Plus I freely admit I don't have the brain power to think like an attorney. Nevertheless, here's my take on your scenario:

The father: charged with assault with a deadly weapon.
The son: charged with attempted murder.
Both: charged with tampering with evidence.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On May 26, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:

Their purpose in burning the house down was to conceal evidence of a crime, not to defraud an insurance company.

Might the law of nuisances apply? Apparently common law is one of the sources of nuisance law. I wanted to post a link to what I am talking about but it doesn't work because of formatting, anyone interested can try googling "THE LAW OF NUISANCES Environmental Regulation through the Backdoor".
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
2824 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
How old was the son? That would indeed change things, wouldn't it?

Tom
Kind People Are The Best Kind Of People

www.tomboleware.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20661 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Why is everyone approaching this as if it is a trick question?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
MobilityBundle
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas/Boston
120 Posts

Profile of MobilityBundle
Bob, before revealing the answer (if at all), it might be fun to give folks a "menu" of possible crimes. For example, you've already spilled the beans with respect to arson and house burning, but those would have been good to include. Even as a multiple choice question, the answers might be interesting.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Quote:
On May 26, 2015, TomBoleware wrote:
How old was the son? That would indeed change things, wouldn't it?

Tom

I already sugggested that his age might be a factor. In an actual exam you would probably want to raise that issue and explain what the possible crimes would be if he was a minor.

But Danny's right. It's not a trick question. Just a scenario that is trickier than it seems.

mobiltybundle-

I don't know about providing a list of possibilities. That would pretty well end the discussion because that's all the answer really is- a list of possibilities based on the facts provided with rationales given for each one.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Great test! Good brain candy Smile
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9121 Posts

Profile of funsway
I recall reading that Common Law in the courtroom related to "factual deliberation" ( I think it was called) has gone though some changes in recent decades.

So, does the year in which these events occurred have any bearing on the charges to be made? On the strategy of a defense attorney?

It seems that much of the story is based on statements from the father and son about intent, but may not be born out by fact. Why should we believe what they say about what occurred.

Of course, I may have been watching too much Law and Order.

As a side-bar, what if the son was the other party in the affair, and he didn't hate her but only wanted not to be found out?

Then the fire could be crime of passion and even the murder reduced to second degree
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Theodore Lawton
View Profile
Inner circle
1686 Posts

Profile of Theodore Lawton
Sheesh. Some family! Smile

I can't even begin to try. I'm not that smart to begin with and I got overwhelmed before the "she was just grazed" part.

I'm looking forward to the reveal Bob.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Funsway- The reason you should believe what's set forth in the scenario is simply because it is a hypothetical question in which all of the facts are assumed to be true.

Common law (the law of precedent) comes from the ancient laws of England based upon societal customs and recognized and enforced by the judgments and decrees of the courts, as opposed to statutory laws which are enacted by legislative bodies, even though the latter are often based on the principles of common law.

Nearly all laws today are statutory. But an understanding of the principles from which they were derived is an essential component of legal reasoning.

So, no, it doesn't matter when the events about took place. Assume they took place in the present in a mythical jurisdiction that still follows common law.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
One more crack at it.

The father: Attempting to conceal a crime. Manslaughter, because he killed the wife but didn't intend to. Assault, because of the initial gun attack. Conspiracy to pervert the course of justice.

The son: murder. Conspiracy to murder. Attempting to conceal a crime. Conspiracy to pervert the course of justice.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20661 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I think it was Mrs. Scarlet in the kitchen with a melon baller.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A simple question (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL