The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Reading for real but not (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cervier
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1275 Posts

Profile of Cervier
One of the reasons why I like mentslim is you have to interact with people. You can do very effective magic alone on stage, without saying a word, or even in front of a camera without ever knowing if there are spectators. With mentalism, you can't. You have to have people, you have to talk and listen to them. And you should create rapport.

That's why I'm interested in readings, even though I don't believe one can predict someone's future --and if it were possible, I don't think it would be a good idea to. But it's so nice to tell someone things that sound personal, it's so nice both for you and for them, because of the atmosphere it creates.

But I don't believe cards, stars, runes or whatever can tell us anything about anything. It doesn't matter, as I take reading as part of my "play". I'm acting. But I'm not an actor who could play any part convincingly. I'm not that good, far from it. I need to believe what I do is real, to some extent. So I find it difficult to read cards or even my own oracle system I devised (for a role playing game, not for mentalism). I feel like I'm merely delivering forer-style lines and all the time, I'm afraid my disbelief and discomfor shows

It's been that way for years. I kept on studying and learning about systems (palmistry, numerology, etc.), like a kid is forced to eat spinash --not really enjoying it Smile

Then I bought Iain Dunford's "Metaph-oracle". There's a nice and easy to grasp sytem, and that alone is valuable. But from my point of view I just described, what's really precious is his approach. He describes it in the first pages (I'll keep the following ones to, though Smile ) and on reading them, I could feel doors opening, I could feel all those "spinach" books becoming useable.

There's a "philosophy" I like, I feel confortable with. Now I can use any system --his, mine, traditionals, ALL! And get what I came to readings for: rapport, a special moment with spectators, an atmosphere...

I still have to explore with that approach. But now, I can! This is how to do it "for real" if you don't believe it can really be done. That book has been a key. I wanted to tell about it those who might share the same reservations I have.

I specified I bought the book so you don't think I'm returning the favor for a free copy, or that I was asked to review it. No. Hard earned cash Smile I've wasted some on over hyped stuff, but Metaphoracle is in my "best buys" list and I wanted to say my appreciation Smile
"A friend is someone who know you well but loves you anyway" H. Lauwick
The Lynx Deck, http://jmmaries.free.fr/cervier/
Grapheeteez, on GooglePlay
Telemos the peek envelope, on SkywardMagic
Telemos en Francais sur TheMysteryStore
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Yes I have several Iain books myself. No, he doesn't give any thing away, his stuff is too valuable.

I don't own meta yet but I keep looking at it. Smile
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Ach, that's very kind of you - thank you...glad you're enjoying meta-ph-oracle...

i wont bore you with why I called it that...

i would say though, that the reading method/thinking I talk about in MPO (let's call it that!) IS real...you can genuinely talk about how you are doing it far more openly and honestly, and still keep things unique and interesting - and it enables you to answer any questions people may have about readings too...i think honesty and openess is critical in readings - and I am not a fan of barnum statements or trying to go for hits or after-facting...or even hot reading...

and above all else, it still retains its own balance and provides a more endearing, human quality to the reading (but I'm biased)...

plus, if you don't wanna give a full reading, you can apply all kinds of cards based mentalism in with it to add texture...

EDIT - forgive me if I don't reply too often on this thread, don't want it to come across as if I'm constantly plugging my wares...

oh and thanks for your money!
I've asked to be banned
Cervier
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1275 Posts

Profile of Cervier
Quote:
On May 27, 2015, IAIN wrote:
i would say though, that the reading method/thinking I talk about in MPO (let's call it that!) IS real...you can genuinely talk about how you are doing it far more openly and honestly,

Yes, and the title I gave this thread could be misleading. Which is awkward on my part, because MPO is not "an acceptable lie" or "a theme I don't ethically object to" and can fake with a clear mind.
No, it is something I can really, honestly do, without nagging reservations in the back of my head. And to be really doing it helps acting --because you're not acting, not impersonating a psychic or whoever.

Oh! And another thing I like about it: it's not just about your "sitter", about your telling them things about themselves. It's about sharing. And that makes it more valuable, both artistically and humanly.
"A friend is someone who know you well but loves you anyway" H. Lauwick
The Lynx Deck, http://jmmaries.free.fr/cervier/
Grapheeteez, on GooglePlay
Telemos the peek envelope, on SkywardMagic
Telemos en Francais sur TheMysteryStore
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Don't use anything you buy from Iain, you'll become too famous and people will look at you in awe.

However, they'll never look at you in as much awe as Iain, as he has a better beard than everybody.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
My beard is good, I'll admit to that...

I can sell beard trimmings in a pot pourri bag for £5 a pop...pm for details...think of it as a lucky mojo bag but with soup/cereal stains...
I've asked to be banned
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
Quote:
I can sell beard trimmings in a pot pourri bag for £5 a pop...pm for details...think of it as a lucky mojo bag but with soup/cereal stains...

I smoked a baggie of Iain's beard and now I can see through time.
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
^he means thyme...
I've asked to be banned
Al Desmond
View Profile
Inner circle
Secret Mountain Lair in Conifer, Co
1511 Posts

Profile of Al Desmond
Quote:
My beard is good, I'll admit to that...

Can you PM me your PayPal ID?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Beardpimp@hotmale.co.uk

I cleaned that up, too...
I've asked to be banned
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Reading for real but not (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL