The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Newbie looking for a few pointers (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Fozzie41
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Fozzie41
Hi All,

After reading these forums for a while I decided to join up and use my first post to hopefully get a few tips off of the more experienced.

I am 25 from Nottingham UK. I was inspired by the likes of Dynamo and Troy to give magic a go and have been sat with a deck of cards most nights since.

First off I am really struggling getting a double lift right. A lot of routines I have looked into so far require a double lift and I just cant get it to look natural. I can't seem to consistently pinkie break under 2 cards. So any help with that would be appreciated. I have the feeling it will just come with practice but don't want to start bad habits yet.

As I said I love the kind of magic Dynamo and Troy perform. Walk up to someone, amaze them and leave. Could you name a couple of DVDs/Books/Tricks I can purchase that falls into this category?

Looking forward to learning from this site.

Thank you in advance Smile
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
I've written quite a few books JUST FOR YOU!
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Anand Khalsa
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix, AZ
201 Posts

Profile of Anand Khalsa
Hello Fozzie!

For improving your double lift, I would recommend The Double Lift Project by Big Blind Media.

You mention that you want to walk up to someone, entertain them, and leave.

If you are thinking of doing "street magic", read this essay by Jamy Ian Swiss: http://www.antinomymagic.com/swiss.htm

If you really want to amaze and entertain people, and make a career in magic, you need to obtain a strong basis in magic.

You need to read books. Here are some suggestions:

Mark Wilson's The Complete Course

The Tarbell Course

Card College Series by Robert Giobbi

Royal Road to Card Magic

The Magic Book by Harry Lorayne

Now You See It, Now You Don't by Bill Tarr

Modern Coin Magic by Bob

13 Steps to Mentalism

Strong Magic by Darwin Ortiz

Maximum Entertainment by Ken Weber

Watch other magicians peform. Learn about the history of the craft. Learn to respect and appreciate the greats. Explore the craft and have fun!
Fozzie41
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Fozzie41
Just for me? That was quick Smile

I see from your website you have quite a few, could you narrow down a couple for me?

Thanks
Fozzie41
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Fozzie41
Great, thanks Anand

A few bits for me to look in there
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
You might start with LORAYNE: THE CLASSIC COLLECTION, VOL. 2. There's a lifetime of impromptu card magic within those covers. You can see a few of those effects performed at www.youtube.com/harrylorayneonvideo (I think!). HL.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Otto D
View Profile
New user
London, UK
24 Posts

Profile of Otto D
I have the Mark Wilson course and it is very good for covering different types of magic, not just cards so for a beginner like me (and you) it find it very useful, it is also very easy to understand and follow as the illustrations are clear.
Otto
AGMagic
View Profile
Special user
Cailf.
775 Posts

Profile of AGMagic
Read Harry's books!
Tim Silver - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Magic-Woodshop/122578214436546

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Visualize Whirled Peas!
Anand Khalsa
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix, AZ
201 Posts

Profile of Anand Khalsa
I only mentioned one book of Harry's, but everything by him is essential reading.
postalman
View Profile
New user
Chris Fleming Long Beach, Ca.
1 Post

Profile of postalman
I recommend Royal Road to card magic, Card College and Hey, Listen to the master, Harry Lorayne! All of his books are great. I got started 30 years ago with Close-up Card Magic. You can't go wrong!
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1452 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
My vote is for Harry Lorayne's 'Close up Card Magic'. It is a treasure ful of commercial magic.

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
Fozzie41
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Fozzie41
Thanks for all your recommendations guys. Plenty for me to get into. Time to get ordering Smile
Timtom
View Profile
New user
Sweden
56 Posts

Profile of Timtom
As Anand did say The Double Lift Project by Big Blind Media is a good start but if you take The essential sleights for card magic boxset from Big Blind Media you will get the double lift project + 2 more DVDs. Then you will have 3 really good DVDs.
Anand Khalsa
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix, AZ
201 Posts

Profile of Anand Khalsa
That's a great box set that Timtom mentioned. I highly suggest it.
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
There's so many excellent resources people have linked you to here, I wont try to list any more. The essentials are here and I'm going to most definitely even further encourage "Strong Magic" by Darwin Ortiz-- As well as any other book based on the presentation of magic.

One of the biggest things I wish I'd known at the beginning is that everything you do needs to be simple, straight forward and practical.

I spent so much time researching deceptive ace assemblies, transpositions, and other such things... While I learned many sleights and it expanded my knowledge profoundly, it didn't really help my repertoire. In fact it hurt it for a while. I was doing tricks that required too much effort to pay attention to. An amazing performer can make just about anything entertaining but especially as a beginner, stick to things that have a very DIRECT and straight forward plot. Lots of magic moments. Never have more than a minute or so with no magic happening if you can help it. You have to keep people ENTERTAINED. After a year of vigorous research, I learned that there's a reason the classics are classics... It's because they have a reputation for being effective. (most effects anyways) You can add your own handlings, refinements, presentations, let your imagination run wild if you want but I highly suggest performing classical effects with your own presentation that suits your character. In my professional repertoire for strolling, I perform an Ambitious Card, Cards to Pocket, Triumph, and Chicago Opener. There's a lot of other great things but that's what I found suit me best.

A short list of classical effects that you should explore if you haven't already (You'll have to dig in to them to find sources to learn them but the conjuring archive can help you with that http://www.conjuringarchive.com/ )

The Chicago Opener ( Highly recommend Pop Haydn's version, "The Chicago Surprise")

Triumph. There's many in the hands versions you can dig in to. My favorite is one I learned from J.C Wagner's International magic lecture. A "Slop shuffle" will do you just fine.

The Ambitious Card (Absolute classic, every magician should experiment with it in their repertoire at least once)

Here Then There (Very popular among street magicians)

The Biddle Trick

Dr. Daley's Last Trick (Great combining it with "Twisting the Aces")

All I can hope for is that you hear me when I say to make sure your plots are SIMPLE and your performances are ENTERTAINING.

Good luck!
Anand Khalsa
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix, AZ
201 Posts

Profile of Anand Khalsa
Zephury has suggested some brilliant routines, and his advice is extremely sound. The Chicago Opener by Pop Haydn is one of my go-to effects and is, in my opinion, one of the best card tricks of all time. Pop also has a great version of the Ambitious Card.
Spock10194
View Profile
New user
Oklahoma
25 Posts

Profile of Spock10194
Many people here will recommend The Amateur Magician's Handbook by Henry Hay. Provides a good basis in just about everything.
Anand Khalsa
View Profile
Loyal user
Phoenix, AZ
201 Posts

Profile of Anand Khalsa
The Amateur Magicians Handbook is fantastic, if you can find it.
Fozzie41
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Fozzie41
Brilliant guys, thanks a bunch for all the recommendations.

I'm off on holiday next week so when I get back I will be looking through all of this properly and ordering a few bits. I don't want to overload myself too much so probably just one or two.

Has anyone read Card College? Seen a couple of people recommend that one.
Fozzie41
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Fozzie41
Also I have spent the last couple of nights practicing a double lift and it has really improved.

I'll be taking a couple of decks away with me as to not get too rusty Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Newbie looking for a few pointers (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL