The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Legal rights for animals? (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
"you, me--washoe--play peek-a-boo!"
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I am compassionate about animals, I do not want to see them hurt or tortured. I cried when I had to put my cat down because he was old and suffering. But it was MY decision to do so because HE DID NOT HAVE RIGHTS! HE WAS A CAT!
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1194 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Jun 1, 2015, Starrpower wrote:
I am compassionate about animals, I do not want to see them hurt or tortured. I cried when I had to put my cat down because he was old and suffering. But it was MY decision to do so because HE DID NOT HAVE RIGHTS! HE WAS A CAT!

1) Are you talking about legal rights, moral rights, or both?
2) Is it your position that (non-human) animals don't have legal rights, or that they shouldn't have legal rights, or both?
3) What's the basis for that belief?
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
I want donkeys and elephants to have the right to vote, so we can see who they vote for.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16262 Posts

Profile of tommy
I have never known the gaming commission arrest a donkey for running a common gaming house.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
If they do not have the ability to lie, cheat and steal they should not have rights. Smile
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On Jun 1, 2015, Starrpower wrote:

Putting something in all caps (shouting) doesn't make it so. Nor do exclamation points.

Here are some solid arguments from the FAQ of the Nonhuman Rights Project:

Quote:
Why do you talk about “nonhuman animals”?

Humans are animals; people tend to forget that. Under current law, the only animals recognized as having legal rights are humans.
Don’t rights come with responsibilities? If you can’t be responsible, then you can’t have rights.

Not true. Millions of humans have fundamental rights that are not linked to responsibilities. Children and physically or mentally impaired adults cannot bear responsibilities, but that doesn’t mean they don’t have legal rights. You can’t just lock them up or use them for entertainment (at least not anymore).

Surely human rights are only for humans.

That’s right. Human rights are for humans. Chimpanzee rights are for chimpanzees. Chimpanzees do not need the right to vote, for example, but they do need the right not to be held captive in shocking conditions in laboratories or roadside zoos.

What do you mean by “legal person”?

A legal person is an entity capable of having legal rights. These have included humans, fetuses, corporations, and ships. (Even, in Indian courts, idols and holy books have been granted legal personhood.) It’s society’s way of acknowledging that an entity counts in the law.

Not long ago, men generally agreed that women and children could not be legal persons, but were simply the property of men. In this country we said the same thing about African-American slaves. We are asserting, based on clear scientific evidence, that it’s time to take the next step and recognize that certain nonhuman animals cannot continue to be exploited as property.

http://www.nonhumanrightsproject.org/
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Not exactly on point, but interesting nonetheless-

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/03......612.html
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Legal rights for animals? (5 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL