The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » QR Codes? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

latentimage
View Profile
Elite user
No More Room In Hell..
438 Posts

Profile of latentimage
I am preparing to print up all new promo material, and was contemplating adding a QR code to some things like the show poster, ads and maybe even the back of my business cards. I searched the Café, and could only find one thread about this topic and it is several years old. Has anyone used these things before? If so, would you say it's been helpful or not, and will you continue to use them? Personally, I scan them once and a while since it eliminates typing in an address, but I am curious to hear from others.
"Come to the edge," he said, They Said "We Are Afraid," "Come to the edge," he said, They Came, He Pushed Them...And They Flew. -Apollinaire

"If there be a skeptical star, I was born under it. Yet I have lived all my days in complete astonishment." -W. MacNeile Dixon
Jay Jennings
View Profile
Veteran user
Scottsdale, AZ
331 Posts

Profile of Jay Jennings
I haven't used them as a performer (since in that regard I'm an ex) but I use them ALL the time as a user -- when I see a poster or flyer for something I'm interested in and there's a QR code I almost always scan it.

Jay
Mystery arts articles and thoughts: https://ExclusiveMagic.com
Free video crash course for numerology readings: https://LoShuNumerology.com
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10606 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Personally I've never been a fan or ever used one even though I have the ap on my phone. Truthfully speaking no one I know does either or that I've seen or am aware of.

I could see the benefits but no sure of it's mass popularity. I figured it would either explode or fade. I know many realtors love it and I do understand the advantages and conveniences of it, and am actually surprised it didn't take the culture by storm.
Tim Friday
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of Tim Friday
Quote:
On May 28, 2015, Mindpro wrote:
Personally I've never been a fan or ever used one even though I have the ap on my phone. Truthfully speaking no one I know does either or that I've seen or am aware of.

I could see the benefits but no sure of it's mass popularity. I figured it would either explode or fade. I know many realtors love it and I do understand the advantages and conveniences of it, and am actually surprised it didn't take the culture by storm.

I agree with Mindpro. I have one on my current business card and it was a mistake, here is why:
1) it takes up valuable real estate on the card, there is a limited amount of space and the QR code takes up a lot, that space could have been better used with text instead
2) it is an eyesore, it sticks out like a sore thumb on my card and not attractive at all to look at
3) based on google analytics, it rarely gets used

I think it is so easy for people to just type in a web address on their phone instead. You have to download a special QR reader app to use it, and there are so few QR codes the app never gets used.

I would encourage you to make better use of the space on your business card. I am currently making up a new card and it will not have a QR code. I guess they are popular in Japan but doesn't seem to be used in the US.
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
761 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
QR codes are so 2 years ago.... j/k ... kinda...

QR codes on business cards are only good if your using them to let people download a vcard into their phone (you get added directly to the address book) OR to get them to goto a landing page to sign up for something.

Do people use QR codes... IF.. and ONLY IF they have a reason to do so.
Example...
at Fry's I scan QR codes of laptops to look at consumer reviews.
at Burger 31 I scan it to get another point toward my 10 to get a free burger (customer loyalty program)

I had a very successful QR code for my card. When scanned it opened a web address to enter Name / Birthday / email and then you received Balloon Guy Mikes 10 days of party ideas and planning tips. Each month I sent out a local directory of events for people and party ideas.

That QR code was scanned a TON because there was a reason behind its use. (about 30% of cards where scanned)
My current card does not have a QR code but a NFC tag. Any NFC enabled device touches my card it plays a video and takes them to a signup for a free 4 weeks of training, they also join my list.

I say all of that to get to a point.....

I AGREE with what was said above unless your going to make it innovative and unique. They will ONLY work if people have a reason to use it. If it's just a link to your website use the space for something else.
its ok.. balloon dogs don't bite
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
748 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
I have two QR codes on the back of my most recent business card order. One code takes you to my website and the other takes you to a short demo video. I also have them on some of my hand-outs that I distribute at shows. I have not seen any evidence that the codes have been used or have enticed anyone to book me. One prospect, told me that they tried to figure out the "crossword puzzle" on my card, but was unable to. Even after I explained what the code was for, they still didn't understand.

My marketing efforts are better spent in other areas. I do not plan on having QR codes on my next business card order.
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
737 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
Mike Clay FTW!

I have used them in the past. I'm actually finding more power in SMS marketing. Open rate is INCREDIBLY high (93% within 90 seconds!) and CTR is about 78% depending on what offer(s) I have.

I recently set one up for a magician client up in NY area. We decided to do a VIP Text Club where you text the word 'MAGICJOE' to his 5-digit number. You get an instant reply back along with a greeting and a link that takes you to an unlisted Youtube video where he congratulates you for signing up. You then learn 5 free tricks (one at first and the others drip out weekly) but more importantly, he can now promote his local appearances along with promo offers such as BOGO deals or Kid's Night deals Smile Of course, you can also create a pop-up link on the video that takes you to another landing page for a separate deal with email opt-in.
latentimage
View Profile
Elite user
No More Room In Hell..
438 Posts

Profile of latentimage
Thanks for all the helpful responses. I try and make most of my stuff minimalist, so I will probably avoid using them. It sounds like I would be better off to keep the back of the business card just plain white rather than clutter it up. To me, it seemed like a great idea when they were new, but as Mindpro said, it just didn't really catch on for whatever reason.
"Come to the edge," he said, They Said "We Are Afraid," "Come to the edge," he said, They Came, He Pushed Them...And They Flew. -Apollinaire

"If there be a skeptical star, I was born under it. Yet I have lived all my days in complete astonishment." -W. MacNeile Dixon
Jay Jennings
View Profile
Veteran user
Scottsdale, AZ
331 Posts

Profile of Jay Jennings
Quote:
On May 29, 2015, Allen Michael wrote:
Thanks for all the helpful responses. I try and make most of my stuff minimalist, so I will probably avoid using them. It sounds like I would be better off to keep the back of the business card just plain white rather than clutter it up. To me, it seemed like a great idea when they were new, but as Mindpro said, it just didn't really catch on for whatever reason.

Keep it in mind for posters, then. That's something people will see when they're out and about and not sitting at their computers where it's easy to type in a URL. The QR code can lead them to more info about the show.

Jay

PS - For those people who don't know if a QR code helped or not, you have to track that stuff. You should be able to tell exactly how many people scanned the code.
Mystery arts articles and thoughts: https://ExclusiveMagic.com
Free video crash course for numerology readings: https://LoShuNumerology.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Maybe it is best to use on a vehicle with advertisement. Just hope the viewer has the app on their phone.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
MikeClay
View Profile
Special user
Atlanta GA
761 Posts

Profile of MikeClay
It's all about WHY the QR code is there..

If they are just to get information they have about a 3% conversion (# of people who scan)
If the have a compelling offer with good copy they have about 35% conversion (based off of trade show tests we have run)

But NFC / Beacon notification / GEO gating.... O M G .....

let your imagination run wild for a sec...
let's say your working a restaurant weekly.

You put up a poster that says, "Tap your NFC enabled phone here to get a FREE appetizer and to join our mobile calendar"
You now charge the restaurant for MARKETING + Entertainment cause they want to send coupons to the people who scanned.

now you setup a beacon (a usb stick pluged into a outlet) that everytime they get close to the restaurant they get a notification of when your there. Then you geogate all the other restaurants and activate it. A family pulls into the parking lot of a competitors restaurant and they get a notification. DING*WHAT ARE YOU DOING!! Don't you know I am performing tonight at Restaurant A.... Take a picture of Restaurant B and get back in your car and come see me... SHOW your pic to the Manager and get a free Desert"

the possibilities are endless...
I used the push notification at a trade show.. to give hourly updates, and tell bad jokes. EVERYONE was talking about it.
I even setup 8 beacons and did a scavenger hunt and the 8 companies that put beacons in their booth PAID me to be part of it for access to the list.

BTW in corporate I always sold myself as creative marketing services and not an entertainer for me it added zeros to the check ..,..
its ok.. balloon dogs don't bite
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
737 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
Mike Clay, check out a new startup company called Everyware. I'm actually JV'ing with them. They are pretty remarkable!

I use SMS marketing a lot but they've taken it to the next level.
Christian & Katalina
View Profile
Elite user
407 Posts

Profile of Christian & Katalina
QR codes are neat...but do people really use them? Techn-geeks do...does the regular population? There are a couple of ways to find out?

One, ask...the next time you have an audience, ask by a show of hands how many people use QR codes. The second way is to track. Print your QR codes on marketing. Have them go to a splash page and track your results via Google Analytics. The later is a more accurate way.

There are a couple of questions here. One, what is the motivation to go to your site/video/etc. Why would this person be motivated to take out their phone, call up the app, and surf your site? This is an important question. Because just having a QR code on your material is not enough to motivate someone to take action. Two, other than the obvious getting to your site . . . why do you want them to go there...and what do you have to say to them.

Using a QR code is a form of interaction. You are trying to propel them to do something. If it is only to go to your site to say the same things you are saying in your print . . . they might be a tad disappointed.

Mike Clay made some very solid observations of which I agree.
Milbourne Christopher Award for Mentalism 2011
The Annemann Award for Menatalism 2016
Author of "Protoplasm" Close-up Mentalism
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » QR Codes? (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL