The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A magician must be a gentleman so... (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Hmmm, you're right!

...meine liebe Damen und Herren.

So...liebe Herren would be the closest approximation?

Doug
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
The first thought that cam to mind when I read the title of this thread was a logic puzzle:

A magician must be a gentleman so... all gentlemen must be magicians.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On May 30, 2015, stoneunhinged wrote:
German doesn't have a word for gentleman.

Is there a standard title for Molière's "Le bourgeois gentilhomme" in German? Or do they stick with the French title, as is often the case in English?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Quote:
On May 30, 2015, Starrpower wrote:
The first thought that cam to mind when I read the title of this thread was a logic puzzle:

That's not a logic puzzle. It's just a common example of a logical fallacy.

All bird are vertebrates.

All mammals are vertebrates.

Therefore all mammals are birds.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Quote:
On May 30, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
On May 30, 2015, Starrpower wrote:

That's not a logic puzzle. It's just a common example of a logical fallacy.

All bird are vertebrates.

All mammals are vertebrates.

Therefore all mammals are birds.

Exactly. But you knew what I was getting at.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
But...as men magicians, we must strive to be Gentlemen! In the highest order! There is no room for crass behavior or .douchebaggery. Our audience is our Crown Jewel!

Doug
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
You're right, Doug ... but sadly, elegance and class are largely a thing of the past ...
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
So, isn't it up to US to change that? Or is it a lost cause?

Doug
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
The beauty of acting is that one can act whatever fits the bill but a gentleman hardly fits bill of a magician in some respects.
“The Gentleman is always truthful and sincere; will not agree for the sake of complaisance or out of weakness ; will not pass over that of which he disapproves. He has a clear soul, and a fearless, straightforward tongue. On the other hand he is not blunt and rude. His truth is courteous; his courtesy, truthful; never a humbug, yet, where he truthfully can, he prefers to say pleasant things. [J.R. Vernon, "Contemporary Review," 1869]

An humbug on the other hand; “1751, student slang, "trick, jest, hoax, deception," also as a verb, of unknown origin. A vogue word of the early 1750s; its origin was a subject of much whimsical speculation even then.”.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
In German, the closest thing to "gentleman" is "cavalier". No one uses it, however. Just Spaniards and Italians trying to explain themselves.

In English, the word "gentleman" used to be a designation of class. The German "Herr" is approximate to that use. But English moved on, of course, so the class connotation has been lost.

As for the contemporary use of the word "gentleman" to mean something like a polite, dignified, respectful person of high moral standard--well, that use doesn't exist in German. And I'm not sure whether it means anything REAL in English anymore, either.

As y'all know, I tend to prefer the word "friendly". It's not gender-specific, and it has nothing to do with class or manners. It just means that one does one's best to get along with others in a polite, dignified, respectful manner with high moral standards. But, you know, I ain't gonna change the language. I'm tilting at windmills.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
It meant someone of independent means who does have to work for living in America. America, it was a place where anyone could work to become a gent. One didn't have much chance of doing so anywhere else in the world. Which is why America was called the land of the free with no titles and so on.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Hermit
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of The Hermit
Quote:
On May 30, 2015, Dougini wrote:
But...as men magicians, we must strive to be Gentlemen! In the highest order! There is no room for crass behavior or .douchebaggery. Our audience is our Crown Jewel!

Doug

I'm not sure gentlemen use the word 'douchebaggery'. Smile
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Well, I said we must strive! I have a LONG way to go! LOL! Smile

Doug
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Quote:
On Jun 3, 2015, Dougini wrote:
Well, I said we must strive! I have a LONG way to go! LOL! Smile

Doug

LOL!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A magician must be a gentleman so... (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL