The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Vault - Created by David Penn (44 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2361 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
I am sure it's been asked and I missed it, but what can be used in place of the lighter and flash paper. many venues do not allow any type of fire.
dp
View Profile
Veteran user
346 Posts

Profile of dp
Quote:
On Jun 21, 2015, The Baldini wrote:
I am sure it's been asked and I missed it, but what can be used in place of the lighter and flash paper. many venues do not allow any type of fire.

Any vanish buddy but one where people feel that the coin is still somewhere else such as under a cloth is more deceptive for this effect imho.

Cheers

David
Ps happy Fathers Day
Close Up Magician & Illusionist - David Penn

Search The Wizard Product Review at http://www.worldmagicshop.com
jamesmwood
View Profile
New user
El Paso, Texas
99 Posts

Profile of jamesmwood
The simple coin fold works well for this kind of trick. A marked coin is folded inside a post-it note or other small piece of paper. The outline of the coin can be seen clearly inside the packet, which can be tapped against a table or glass or flicked with a fingernail to show that the coin is inside. The packet is laid openly on the table. At this point the magician brings out The Vault (or Nest of Boxes, or Nest of Wallets) and sets it nearby. After a short delay, the magician makes the coin vanish, shredding the paper packet into tiny bits and showing his or her hands completely empty. The spectator then opens The Vault and finds the marked coin inside.

The beauty of the coin fold is its application of "Time Misdirection": The spectator thinks the coin is inside the packet up until the moment when the packet is shredded. In fact, however, the coin is secretly transferred to The Vault considerably earlier than the spectator realizes.

The coin fold is fairly easy to perform and fully explained in Harry Lorayne's "The Magic Book" and Mark Wilson's "Complete Course in Magic", either of which can be purchased on Amazon.com for a very reasonable price.

As another idea: If you are vanishing a quarter, I recommend the QuartOkito box from Viking. The spectator can see the marked coin inside the QuartOkito box up until the moment when it suddenly and visibly disappears.
Jim Wood
El Paso, Texas
jawood@utep.edu
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2415 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Heya Gang!

I've gotten a few emails about this - simply because my card guard that I created a few years ago has the same name:

http://www.sendwonder.com/collections/all/products/the-vault

Needless to say, it's no big dealio! Dave and I are old friends and it would be impossible for effects to never have the same words in the title every now and then!

Carrying on!

~jamie
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1440 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
In the UK we have key fobs with a pound coin sized disc. It's ised to put in shopping trolleys instead of using a coin.

An idea would be to borrow a pound coin and gave it signed. Then ask someone to hold it but switch it for a shopping trolley disc. Now load the coin as you say you will vanish the coin in their hand. They can feel the coin (apparently) so this will seem impossible. After a while you fail and get them to open up their hand. Inside is the shopping trolley token. Act surprised then say that you normally keep that in the vault on your keys. Finish by showing the coin on your keys b

By adding an transposition you are justifying why the coin is in your key fob. Also the fact they can apparently feel the coin adds an extra layer of impossibility and providers built in time misdirection.

Great effect by the way Dave!!!

Craig.
[url= http://youtube.com/c/slightlyunusualmagic
'Magic TV YouTube Channel ' by Craig Petty[/url]
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Brŕth
3642 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Lovely idea Craig, thanks for sharing. Smile

If I may be so bold as to suggest a name for your effect, I'd call it "Off Your Trolley".
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
roblane
View Profile
Special user
Say 'toast' five times, toast toast.....
764 Posts

Profile of roblane
Jamie, that is ***ing hilarious! Smile
Definition of a Freudian slip; Saying one thing and meaning a "mother"!
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2476 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
Nice idea Craig.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5322 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Yes, thanks for that, Craig!

Jim
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10629 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Just came across this thread today - looks very good indeed!

I have owned the beautiful brass Viking version for many years but this seems like a thoughful re-boot.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Fire Starter
View Profile
Inner circle
4206 Posts

Profile of Fire Starter
Great idea Craig,i like that a lot.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3939 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Finally watched the dvd last night. Good teaching as usual. Not wild about this being made of plastic but the overall quality seems pretty good. Gimmick is clever and it includes a nice holder that allows for pocket management and easy loading. Works very well with a coin. I don't see how you could use this for a ring unfortunately. The ring would have to be very small and thin with no stones. So you are pretty much going to only use this with a signed coin or other similar size/shape object. Slightly disappointing but not a deal breaker. Thus far, I've only given it a few trial runs but so far it seems to function well. Reset is fairly easy but will take some practice if you are going to use this strolling.

I was thinking about the motivation to bring your keys out and sit them on the table at the beginning. Not a huge point but it's not something you would really ever do, especially in a professional setting. Then I looked at my keys and noticed that I have a mini-Sharpie attached to my keys. So I got lucky. The motivation to take the keys out is to get to the mini Sharpie so the spectator can sign the coin. Still not the perfect motivation but it's certainly better than just bringing your keys out for no reason.

Overall, I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with this. Advertising was open and honest. Teaching was very clear. Quality seems fine. Well done.
sbays
View Profile
Inner circle
Burbank, CA
1045 Posts

Profile of sbays
Quote:
On Jun 24, 2015, emyers99 wrote:
Finally watched the dvd last night. Good teaching as usual. Not wild about this being made of plastic but the overall quality seems pretty good. Gimmick is clever and it includes a nice holder that allows for pocket management and easy loading. Works very well with a coin. I don't see how you could use this for a ring unfortunately. The ring would have to be very small and thin with no stones. So you are pretty much going to only use this with a signed coin or other similar size/shape object. Slightly disappointing but not a deal breaker. Thus far, I've only given it a few trial runs but so far it seems to function well. Reset is fairly easy but will take some practice if you are going to use this strolling.

I was thinking about the motivation to bring your keys out and sit them on the table at the beginning. Not a huge point but it's not something you would really ever do, especially in a professional setting. Then I looked at my keys and noticed that I have a mini-Sharpie attached to my keys. So I got lucky. The motivation to take the keys out is to get to the mini Sharpie so the spectator can sign the coin. Still not the perfect motivation but it's certainly better than just bringing your keys out for no reason.

Overall, I can't imagine anyone being disappointed with this. Advertising was open and honest. Teaching was very clear. Quality seems fine. Well done.

You can bring the keys out as you are looking for and asking if someone has a coin to use. Simple enough and it is perfectly natural and motivated. But the sharpie is great also. But personally, I would want to draw attention away from anything being attached to the keychain. If you treat it as a nothing as in just getting them out of the way while looking for a coin, no one will focus on the keychain. However, they might take notice if they see the sharpie attached to it.
"Opportunity may only knock once, but temptation leans on the doorbell."
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1586 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Looks like spellbinding boxes to me. Am I missing something?
Ray Tupper.
View Profile
Special user
NG16.
750 Posts

Profile of Ray Tupper.
Quote:
On Jun 24, 2015, Magic Patrick wrote:
Looks like spellbinding boxes to me. Am I missing something?

More than likely.
What do we want?
A cure for tourettes!
When do we want it?
C*nt!
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1586 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Thanks. I thought it was more than likely spellbinding boxes on a keychain. To me I get the fair play on a keychain but not spellbinding boxes. The video is very choppy and I am sure that we are not seeing all the sequences of the trick. Another magic community, dusting off something that was old and trying to sell it as a new idea.
Robmonster
View Profile
Elite user
455 Posts

Profile of Robmonster
Patrick, did you overlook the two full uncut performance videos posted earlier in the thread?
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4987 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Jun 25, 2015, Robmonster wrote:
Patrick, did you overlook the two full uncut performance videos posted earlier in the thread?

I am pretty sure he did and came to the same conclusion I did. I have to agree- this is just Spellbinding Boxes on a keychain. Though I think the advantage and difference with THE VAULT is that the dirty work is accomplished in front of everyone and not in your pocket.

RNK
Robmonster
View Profile
Elite user
455 Posts

Profile of Robmonster
Patrick commented that the video was 'choppy' and he wasn't seeing everything so I was pointing out there were uncut vids available.
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Brŕth
3642 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Maybe he has a poor internet connection. Smile
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Vault - Created by David Penn (44 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL