The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Vault - Created by David Penn (44 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6724 Posts

Profile of Dougini
I am confused. First this:

"Magic Makers owns the rights to this amazing SS Adams Co effect and produces it in highly polished metal finishes and it comes with a professional coin vanishing hankie to make the effect complete and ready to use with no skill required..." OK, they're also gold plated.

http://www.magicmakersinc.com/p-39-spellbinding-boxes.aspx

But then Viking says:

"Made in the finest tradition of Viking quality, complete with detailed instructions.
Do NOT be mislead by advertisements touting gold plated boxes. The copies are vastly ineffective and a waste of your money. You deserve nothing but the best, as provided by Viking Mfg. Co."

http://www.vikingmagic.com/Viking%20Mfg/......es-BRASS

Myself...I'd go with Viking. But that's just me.

Doug
Rus ANDREWS
View Profile
Inner circle
1449 Posts

Profile of Rus ANDREWS
Hi all

Do this with a torn corner from a signed card.....

Or even better, have a card thought of, have them imagine the card between thier fingertips and have them tear a corner off and hand you the corner.....

After a few moments of madness make reference to your keys...

Make the gag of the card vanishing from thier fingertips, now start to open the containers one by one...

You get to the last one and open it to tip out the corner of their imaginary card...

R
Jamie Ferguson
View Profile
Inner circle
Alba Gu Brŕth
3642 Posts

Profile of Jamie Ferguson
Quote:
On Jun 25, 2015, Dougini wrote:
I am confused. First this:

"Magic Makers owns the rights to this amazing SS Adams Co effect and produces it in highly polished metal finishes and it comes with a professional coin vanishing hankie to make the effect complete and ready to use with no skill required..." OK, they're also gold plated.

http://www.magicmakersinc.com/p-39-spellbinding-boxes.aspx

But then Viking says:

"Made in the finest tradition of Viking quality, complete with detailed instructions.
Do NOT be mislead by advertisements touting gold plated boxes. The copies are vastly ineffective and a waste of your money. You deserve nothing but the best, as provided by Viking Mfg. Co."

http://www.vikingmagic.com/Viking%20Mfg/......es-BRASS

Myself...I'd go with Viking. But that's just me.

Doug

It would be ironic if Magic Makers have been ripped off here.
When the chips are down, the duvet is uncomfortable.
CraigB
View Profile
New user
30 Posts

Profile of CraigB
Watched the full performance postings. This does look pretty nice.
paperinick
View Profile
Inner circle
my faro is starting to look nice after
1141 Posts

Profile of paperinick
Quote:
On Jun 24, 2015, emyers99 wrote:
I don't see how you could use this for a ring unfortunately. The ring would have to be very small and thin with no stones.

With this set, would it be possible to perform without a couple of the inner boxes? Just curious.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death my right to say "scr*w you" if you persist. [Voltaire Smile]
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2362 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
I love the effect and the simplicity of it. It is so easy to do.i was disappointed in the DVD. It went in many directions, then came back to the original point. Not enough time spent on the set up of the gimmick, having owned a brass version, it was obvious to me, but I felt it was glanced over. I also heard the word"Organic" 3 times. An over used catch word. There is nothing organic here.
But, the effect is made well, easy to do and easy to carry, weighs a lot less than a heavy brass version and is fun to do. Lay people love it too.
Even though it is plastic, it feels like the old pay phone plastic, strong and durable.
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2435 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
I went ahead and got this. Got them Yesterday. My boxes have a little flaw, The same flaw on all of them. It kinda looks like its there to help open the boxes. Is this normal?. I only watched a little of the D.V.D. but so far not bad.I do like the ideas of some of you guys on here. I will be putting this to the test tonight. Yes I said tonight. I know I only had it one day and I never perform a effect so soon but I owned the brass ones and have used them before.
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
1991 Posts

Profile of puggo
Quote:
On Jun 26, 2015, paperinick wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 24, 2015, emyers99 wrote:
I don't see how you could use this for a ring unfortunately. The ring would have to be very small and thin with no stones.

With this set, would it be possible to perform without a couple of the inner boxes? Just curious.

I don't see why not - I have tried loading the outer box and there were no problems.

A few thoughts:
-Plenty of reasons for keeping the keys in your pocket rather than on a table - e.g. the old line of 'If this goes wrong, you can have my car keys' etc.
-Interesting idea from Jamie Ferguson who referenced Peter Eggink's effect, Exit. This could be on a neck chain as an emergency pill/coin holder etc.
-The boxes look less 'magic prop-y' than the brass boxes, but could not be described as 'organic' IMO.
-I agree that lay people definitely love this effect having occasionally used the brass boxes for years.
-As emeyers99 notes, you will only get a slim ring in this, not a man's modest size wedding band or a ring with a reasonable setting.

I am happy with this, but for actually working this at a gig, I'm not sure it will find a regular place in my repertoire, as I have to compare it with the Nest of Wallets. The wallets take up less pocket space and are easier/less fiddly to reset (and can be done in full view of the spec on the offbeat).
However, with the boxes, the spec can actually open the last box and the method of attaching to the keys etc. is great. Hmm..

With that said, I did make up a belt holder a while back for the brass nest of boxes which I must dig out, by using a plastic pager holder with a belt clip (remember pagers?!). I just had to trim one corner edge slightly. This freed up the pocket space and kept everything out of sight above one of my back trouser/pants pockets. Worked like a dream. The holder was a snug fit in the pager holder so the boxes slid out easily and the holder could be slid out for reset.
Rather like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Unication-Alpha-El......08YIDPLG
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2411 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I have defaulted to nest of wallets. Very little pocket space (very key to me as a non pro who may walk around with something in my pocket for some time without doing it), easy reset and can hold a coin or a modest sized ring.
This looks cool might purchase at Magic Live when the bug bites.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3879 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Have to agree that nest of wallets is still the hands down winner.
Michael Dustman
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
1152 Posts

Profile of Michael Dustman
I have to give credit where credit is due, this is a nifty little effect and such an easy load. Fortunately, after a thorough inspection, I did not find any flaws on my boxes, so another plus for that. I really like the thinking behind the loading and misdirection of this routine.

In my formal close-up and strolling shows, I produce a vanished ring out of a party popper that was in a Destination Box that the spectator was holding before I even borrowed her ring. It gets too good of a reaction to take that out of my gig, but I have been looking for a similar ring vanish and production for informal occasions when I don't have the box and party popper with me. This was the whole reason for my purchase of the Vault...something to have handy for informal occasions. My one negative critique with the Vault is that I am in agreement with Eric that this thing can not hold a ring, which is what I really wanted it for. I have tried it without the two inner boxes and it is possible for a men's wedding band or a smaller engagement ring, but then without the two inner boxes, there is more room to rattle around in. From years of borrowing all kinds of engagement rings, I come across too many large settings that would never fit in these boxes. So for me, I do take a bit of exception with the marketing of the effect. Not that it was outright untrue, but slightly misleading. The ad copy indicated that David wanted to further the ring flight plot, and uses the word ring a couple of other times in the ad copy. The cover photo of the DVD also shows a ring (ironically with dimensions) but you would have to find a tiny ring to do this. And the dvd never even shows anything with a ring. So, while a ring is possible if you wanted to lose a box or two, this is more useful for a signed coin.

With all that being said, while I am disappointed that my original intent won't be satisfied (i.e.: ring vanish), I will enjoy carrying this and start performing a signed coin routine.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3879 Posts

Profile of emyers99
To summarize, mentioning a ring load was completely false advertising.
patrick66
View Profile
Veteran user
The Netherlands
384 Posts

Profile of patrick66
Quote:
On Jun 27, 2015, emyers99 wrote:
Have to agree that nest of wallets is still the hands down winner.

AND a lot easier. I'm going to sell this item, way to much fumbling for me. I practiced the c....c...n to the k.. r... and it only worked 2 out of ten times perfectly.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
3641 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
I don't know if anyone remembers this as I would very much like to find if it still exists ? Around 10 years ago at the dealers hall at the Blackpool convention one dealer had a coin/ ring box prop which was kind of like a bill tube and worked a bit like the Russian doll principle . It was all self contained and once loaded it snapped shut and locked and when opened by the spectator was a series of little small tins one after another reducing in size until the coin etc was found in the last one . I wish I had purchased as never seen one since . If anyone can remember this or the name would be much appreciated 😀
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
4865 Posts

Profile of RNK
I was thinking of buying this to use with a ring. Glad I did not pre-order since the ad was misleading. Thanks guys for the honest reviews. Seems like false advertising is becoming a common recurrence in magic. Truly sad. Until purchasers take note of the ones that are not honest and quite pre-ordering, this trend will not end.

RNK
TuneHV
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1789 Posts

Profile of TuneHV
Some rings will fit, I don't think it's false advertising, if you see their ring is on the large size, then use a signed coin instead as a fall back
David Jonathan
- - - - - - - - - -
SNAPS | You Know | CAANWICH | Fourtunate | Destined | Wrong Turn | Fortuity | Arbitrium | Sovereign Sandwich | RudiMental

More Info: www.davidjonathanmagic.com
martysh
View Profile
Elite user
Greenville,SC
464 Posts

Profile of martysh
I have been working with this the past two days.. hadn't showed it yet... I found that using a larger ring wedding ring.. the boxes close but not all the way... though this still has the appearance of all the way... so a larger ring to my mind does work... one could take out the smallest box... but I don't think it is necessary.

I don't think I will be living in fear on the size of a wedding ring...which is the specific reason why I went for this.

Marty
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3879 Posts

Profile of emyers99
You'll rarely find a ring small enough to use this. Sure you can take out two of the boxes but that completely defeats the point of using a nest of boxes.
metaplayer
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of metaplayer
Quote:
On May 29, 2015, Alex DLF wrote:
Looks nice. Maybe not as bice as the wallets by Mr. Einhorn. Will it hold up well on a key fob which will be carried everywhere, everytime ? Plastic seems to be thin.

Being carried everywhere on a key fob won't be an issue... Don't worry about that.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3879 Posts

Profile of emyers99
That's perhaps the biggest practical difference and what sets the wallets apart. With the wallets, you just toss them in your pocket and you are ready to go anytime, anywhere. Not the case with Vault. Just having your keys on you isn't enough. You need the gimmick and the gimmick has to be in the set position. You can't really set it up on the fly. Not horrible, but still nowhere near as practical.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Vault - Created by David Penn (44 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL