The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » "Sparkle" by Jay Sankey (26 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Sankey has put out some good stuff, probably about 10% or less of everything he has put out. This goes in the large Sankey trash bin, with 90% of the rest of his "stuff", ... IMHO.

KJ
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
One of my favorites I use a lot is "Descendent" (moving a pencil point to the cneter of a pencil) from Kaleidoscope which was suprisingly great and I liked a few others from the DVD as well as the matches one. But for the most part I got his best 10% and love his Definitive Sankey set, as well as Sankey Unleashed and a few other DVDS. The Real work on Restaurant and Bars was pretty good as was Front Row Sankey, The Very Best of Sankey, Secret Files, The Bigger Finish, Twenty Years of Magic, Wrap it up, One-Car Garage, and Sankey's Greatest Hits as well. Also loved Beyond Secrets. Those just off the top of my head.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
durgy
View Profile
Elite user
Toronto
402 Posts

Profile of durgy
Not that it has anything to do with this effect, but he's one of the nicest and most humble magicians I've ever met.

-Durgy
https://www.durgyspade.com
facebook.com/durgyspade
twitter.com/durgyspade
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I've never met Jay, but the few interactions I have had with his staff to address an order problem have NOT been pleasant.

KJ
Zuke
View Profile
Veteran user
353 Posts

Profile of Zuke
I'm sorry but this has to be one of the most stupid things I've seen (and that's saying a lot considering the dross that is foisted upon the magic community now), I watched the trailer in disbelief. At first I thought it was a joke. A Sparkler? Even if the 'trick' looked remotely magical (which it doesn't) who on god's earth is going to be carrying around a pack of sparklers and lighting them up at a gig? It's ridiculous in the extreme...and I quite like Jay Sankey.
Filip Struzka
View Profile
New user
Czech rep.
21 Posts

Profile of Filip Struzka
To: Zuke
Yes and also no Smile We are magicians! So we can be the craziest group of people in the world but at the same time we can be mysterious. Look at Fritz Alkemade he is crazy. Look at Jeff McBride he has totally different style. And now let's try to imagine a magician with a whole bunch of sparklers in his coat, isn't that bizarre? Yes it is, but magicians are usually somehow different, because...how many people have folded card in a shoe, ring on a shoelace, a mistery box in a pocket??? Just magicians Smile
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
It is true, magicians carry around ridiculous things because they are magicians. Right now through July it would be even more "justified" with the 4th of July around the corner. I would never use it though as the fire risk is far greater than the reward, as you could get burnt easily, burn someone else, or start a fire. There are so many other effects as good and better that it makes no sense to add this.

I go out of my way to do magic that others are too lazy to do, or label "impractical" because they don't want to do the work; which is a term I do not use often, but in this case it seems to be just that. It would have to be well worth for me to do, not dangerous, and not a hasle to get the props or maek them. Around here you can't just buy sparklers all year. So I could only see it working at a 4th of July party, which it would be perfect for. But that is about it.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
DVYRCKT
View Profile
New user
Nashville, TN
76 Posts

Profile of DVYRCKT
I'm actually glad this is my 49th? post. And trust me, I have not abused my privileges.

Jay Sankey is a sparkle.

Need I really say more?

- Davey
The Mysterious One
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of The Mysterious One
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2015, sirbrad wrote:
It is true, magicians carry around ridiculous things because they are magicians. Right now through July it would be even more "justified" with the 4th of July around the corner. I would never use it though as the fire risk is far greater than the reward, as you could get burnt easily, burn someone else, or start a fire. There are so many other effects as good and better that it makes no sense to add this.

I go out of my way to do magic that others are too lazy to do, or label "impractical" because they don't want to do the work; which is a term I do not use often, but in this case it seems to be just that. It would have to be well worth for me to do, not dangerous, and not a hasle to get the props or maek them. Around here you can't just buy sparklers all year. So I could only see it working at a 4th of July party, which it would be perfect for. But that is about it.

I also do the same in going out of my way to do magic that others do not want to put the effort in. My wife got this for me for a father's day present. I am a fan of quite a few Sankey effects over the years. I am not quite sure how I would use this at a gig since there is a real chance of burning down a client's house. Usually, if my wife is going to give me a magic or mentalism related present, I tell her just give me a gift certificate. She decided to go the extra step and buy me this effect preordered. Interested in playing with this and practicing.
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Well if the wife is a layman and liked it that may be a good sign.
NYCJoePitt
View Profile
Special user
558 Posts

Profile of NYCJoePitt
I loved his new glasses. Now they DID sparkle. I need to get me some frames like that asap.
The Mysterious One
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of The Mysterious One
Quote:
On Jun 12, 2015, sirbrad wrote:
Well if the wife is a layman and liked it that may be a good sign.

Hopefully. Brad, she is a magician's wife for the last 15 years. She is quite knowledgeable about the art from all of the years of seeing me perform at functions, performing new magic and mentalism for her to get her perspective, and repairing heavily used apparatus requiring sewing. Like a lot of magicians, she has been instrumental in me improving in the art. If it doesn't impress her, it goes in the magic junk drawer. I am hoping that Sparkle stays out of that drawer. Keeping my nimble fingers crossed!!!!
Wardy
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
193 Posts

Profile of Wardy
When I first saw this a few weeks ago I instantly thought it was crap. And I haven't changed my mind. If you're thinking of buying this and don't have In A Flash, get that instead. Fire, coin and card in one effect. One of my top 3 effects, I perform it all the time. This just looks dangerous and plain stupid...... I like some of Jay's stuff, but he definitely re-hashes the same ideas and principles. I personally believe that magicians are like musicians, in that there are only so many original creations before everything is repeated. Look at artists like Prince or The Rolling Stones. Some undeniable classics, but a boatload of utter crud too.
Ray Chelt
View Profile
Special user
Changing the world with my
988 Posts

Profile of Ray Chelt
You know, I think this is a pretty horrible trick and we've yet to see how you handle a gimmicked deck and light a sparkler up in a walk around environment.

But what kind of world are we living in where people think sparklers are "dangerous".

Cripes !!!
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Sparklers can be dangerous because they are fire, and I got burnt a lot as a kid as did my friends more so than me. When you get down to it fire is fire regardlaess of what name you give it. Also it does not matter whether other magicians on a forum like it, if it works for someone and they and their audience likes it that is all that matters. Layman have different perceptions than most jaded magicians. For mer though it does not really appeal to me for the reasons I stated but that does not mean someone else can't use it and get great results.
Ron Vergilio
View Profile
Special user
Murrieta, CA
835 Posts

Profile of Ron Vergilio
Well, sparklers are illegal here in California, so it's a simple choice. ;-)
May the magic in your life never disappear

*** Lou Serrano's Steel Ball Routine ***
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2096 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Quote:
On Jun 13, 2015, Ray Chelt wrote:

But what kind of world are we living in where people think sparklers are "dangerous".

Cripes !!!

A world you need to very careful in as it has a lot of sue-happy people. This isn't the 80's anymore!
Wardy
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
193 Posts

Profile of Wardy
Quote:
On Jun 13, 2015, Ray Chelt wrote:

I definitely wouldn't call sparklers safe. They retain heat and have a long burn time. Each to their own as usual. Still no practical reviews of this product.
inigmntoya
View Profile
Inner circle
DC area native, now in Atlanta
2351 Posts

Profile of inigmntoya
I just want to know why it takes so long to burn a small hole through the deck but the sparkler can instantly rip a long swath out lengthwise, when the fire is only at one point.
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2574 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
Has anyone that suggests this sucks seen the Fool Us footage yet? I CAN imagine this playing well on stage or a theatre in the round at a festival
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » "Sparkle" by Jay Sankey (26 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL