The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Fiber Optics??? (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
I agree FO is a nice little rope routine. I like how he shows you the moves he doesn't use as everyones tastes are different
Doc Svengali
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Doc Svengali
Fiber Optics is a delightful routine to perform and to witness. If performed smoothly, it is very baffling for spectators and is definitely "eye candy". As pointed out by Bill and Dick, this is just a compilation of moves and sequences already well-known in the rope literature. But they are well-assembled into a routine with independent component parts. The beauty of it is that you can select or omit specific parts at your discretion without impairing the routine as a whole. If, for example, you do not want to show the small piece of rope for the "traveling ends" segments, simply leave it out.
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
I get so much mileage out of Fibre Optics. No one ever catches on to any ‘incongruencies’ because the changes happen so fast. Perhaps the most versatile magic trick: I perform it for kids, adults, close up, and on stage.
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
warren
View Profile
Inner circle
uk
4166 Posts

Profile of warren
Quote:
On Jun 3, 2015, plink wrote:
I love the DVD and the extensive ideas presented! I would recommend it highly to anyone doing any kind of rope magic. BUT... It makes me wonder that once you do any sequence where a short piece of rope is shown that you have given away the secret. Am I looking at this too much as a magician? Don't laymen see this to some extent?

I agree with this completely once you start showing the little piece of rope you've just turned a miracle in to a trick, that's not to say the dvd is bad far from it I think it's excellent and was well worth spending my money on.

As others have said use what you like and discard what you don't like Smile
MaveriQ
View Profile
New user
Dayton, Ohio
34 Posts

Profile of MaveriQ
Quote:
On Feb 6, 2018, todsky wrote:
I get so much mileage out of Fibre Optics. No one ever catches on to any ‘incongruencies’ because the changes happen so fast. Perhaps the most versatile magic trick: I perform it for kids, adults, close up, and on stage.

I agree 100%. The speed at which this can be performed means the audience is always playing catch-up!
stevesilk
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of stevesilk
I had a go at taking the FO moves and create a connected and entertaining story around selected moves. It proved to be more challenging than I'd thought but I persisted and worked on it for almost a year. I'd like to think I now have a routine that is entertaining and magical. It starts with one long piece of rope and is cut in front of the audience to sidestep the problem of displaying the short bit. I'll be posting this on my website in the next few weeks and would like to get some feedback from other rope fanatics.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
As an old, no, ancient geezer, who also likes "stuff with rope", I'll sure watch for it! Thanks!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
How
View Profile
Regular user
NJ
103 Posts

Profile of How
What ropes is good to purchase for this DVD?
tecumilic
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of tecumilic
I belive many peapole start to se the routine as juggling becuse they have become used to the moves and they only se the method. The first time my mom watched it she was blown away. You don't get reactions from that by juggling. If you do a routine of fanzy card flourishes peapole don't scream they look at it and say "huh that looks cool" if they see something they cannot explain then they scream.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
For those who may have followed this thread from the beginning, I have finally found a way to "explain" my "Norwegian YoYo, and am now communicating with Neal Austin (Sealegs).

Up to now, I have only shared it with friends when we were having a "session". Except for Gene Anderson, those friends have now passed away. I'm 86. I don't want the bit to be lost. Hopefully, Neal will be able to use it, and, perhaps, someday, share it.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Looking forward to learning more about it... and thanks to Dick for sharing it with me.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
todsky
View Profile
Inner circle
www.magicstore.ca
2354 Posts

Profile of todsky
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2018, How wrote:
What ropes is good to purchase for this DVD?

Any decent white rope with the core removed is good. I use these:

http://magicstore.ca/?product=magic-rope......115eb4b3
Todsky's Magic Shop: over 15,000 tricks, books, DVD s and Card decks. www.magicstore.ca
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2325 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
As a lot of you know I’ve been posting videos recently of my 7 year old son performing magic. Partially because I am very proud of him and partly because it’s frustrating for him not being able to perform for real people at the moment and he gets a buzz reading other magicians comments.

Over the last few weeks I put up videos of him doing coin manipulation, card magic, cups and balls and sponge balls. However the fibre optics routine is something very new to him - rope magic. He’s worked on this routine for a long time.

A lot of you will know Richard Sanders Fibre Optics routine. It’s very tricky and lots of phases and when Ryland started he hadn’t done rope magic before.

I think he’s done an amazing job and wanted to share this. Let me know what you think as he reads everyone’s comments. And if you like it please subscribe to his channel. It would mean the world to him.

Thanks everyone.

https://youtu.be/NKT64wX9E18
vincentmusician
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
266 Posts

Profile of vincentmusician
Fiber optics is like an encyclopedia of rope moves which are modular and can be put together to build a routine. I have performed it for many years. However, my advice is to take the moves you like, take out the ones you don't and put together your own routine. It is the same with a lot of Magic out there. At the beginning it is okay to start with a routine you see. However, do not just copy every move and word someone else uses. What makes Magic Fun is when you create patter, moves and routines that show your own personality. That's what a good Magician does. Cheers!
peterwatch
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of peterwatch
Quote:
What makes Magic Fun is when you create patter, moves and routines that show your own personality. That's what a good Magician does. Cheers!

Fiber optics is classic. Totally agree your thought. Smile
CDenys
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of CDenys
Fiber optic is great. But for me the master is Tabary and his DVD.
magic.99
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of magic.99
Quote:
On Jan 18, 2022, CDenys wrote:
Fiber optic is great. But for me the master is Tabary and his DVD.

Both are really fantastic studies on rope magic. I have both DVD's (Tabary 1&2) and would find it hard to place one above the other.
On another note, the Tabary book on rope magic is excellent!
magic.99
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of magic.99
Quote:
On Jul 13, 2020, Craig Petty wrote:
As a lot of you know I’ve been posting videos recently of my 7 year old son performing magic. Partially because I am very proud of him and partly because it’s frustrating for him not being able to perform for real people at the moment and he gets a buzz reading other magicians comments.

Over the last few weeks I put up videos of him doing coin manipulation, card magic, cups and balls and sponge balls. However the fibre optics routine is something very new to him - rope magic. He’s worked on this routine for a long time.

A lot of you will know Richard Sanders Fibre Optics routine. It’s very tricky and lots of phases and when Ryland started he hadn’t done rope magic before.

I think he’s done an amazing job and wanted to share this. Let me know what you think as he reads everyone’s comments. And if you like it please subscribe to his channel. It would mean the world to him.

Thanks everyone.

https://youtu.be/NKT64wX9E18

Amazing! That is tough routine for such a young person to remember. Is he still performing the routine? Let's see an updated video!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Fiber Optics??? (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL