The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Hey, let's not release the autopsy report... (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
State's attorney to seek protective order blocking release of Freddie Gray autopsy

"Baltimore State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby plans to seek a protective order blocking the release of Freddie Gray's autopsy and other "sensitive" documents as she pursues charges against six police officers involved in his arrest.

Mosby discussed that intention in a court filing Monday, in which she also asked the court for more time to respond to defense motions that she and her office be removed from the case and that the case be tried outside of Baltimore.

Mosby's office has also sought a gag order, which would prevent those involved in the case from discussing it in public, and broken with tradition by not providing the autopsy report to Baltimore Police.

On Wednesday, a defense attorney for one of the six officers said Mosby efforts to get a protective order is a sign that "there is something in that autopsy report that they are trying to hide."

Baltimore Sun

Nothing to see here...
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16262 Posts

Profile of tommy
I smell a rat.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Jun 3, 2015, Kabbalah wrote:
State's attorney to seek protective order blocking release of Freddie Gray autopsy

"Baltimore State's Attorney Marilyn Mosby plans to seek a protective order blocking the release of Freddie Gray's autopsy and other "sensitive" documents as she pursues charges against six police officers involved in his arrest.

Mosby discussed that intention in a court filing Monday, in which she also asked the court for more time to respond to defense motions that she and her office be removed from the case and that the case be tried outside of Baltimore.

Mosby's office has also sought a gag order, which would prevent those involved in the case from discussing it in public, and broken with tradition by not providing the autopsy report to Baltimore Police.

On Wednesday, a defense attorney for one of the six officers said Mosby efforts to get a protective order is a sign that "there is something in that autopsy report that they are trying to hide."

Baltimore Sun

Nothing to see here...

For the sake of argument, I imagine an autopsy report that showed Freddie Gray was abused / beaten before his death would not go over well with members of the Baltimore public. Especially those with a tendency to riot? Just maybe the report is being held back from the public and the media so as not to add fuel to the fire? The defense still gets total access, so what is the big whoop?

IOTW, perhaps she is protecting the reputation of the Baltimore police from being further damaged by restricting access to an incendiary autopsy report that showed police clearly abused Gray.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16262 Posts

Profile of tommy
Whitewash.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Quote:
On Jun 3, 2015, balducci wrote:
Quote:

Baltimore Sun

Nothing to see here...

For the sake of argument, I imagine an autopsy report that showed Freddie Gray was abused / beaten before his death would not go over well with members of the Baltimore public. Especially those with a tendency to riot? Just maybe the report is being held back from the public and the media so as not to add fuel to the fire? The defense still gets total access, so what is the big whoop?

IOTW, perhaps she is protecting the reputation of the Baltimore police from being further damaged by restricting access to an incendiary autopsy report that showed police clearly abused Gray.

Judging from the prosecutor's past actions, if the report shows abuse, she'd be chomping at the bit to get it out.
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Quote:

The defense still gets total access, so what is the big whoop?

Actually, Mosby's office is hindering discovery...

from the cited article -

"In a response to Mosby's latest filing, defense attorneys said Wednesday that they have been denied an outline of evidence and claims against the officers, and have not been allowed to inspect a knife that was taken from Gray during his arrest."
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20615 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
Quote:

Baltimore Sun

Nothing to see here...

Why is it "for the sake of argument" you ALWAYS come down on the side of liberal bias?

SHOULD the report be protected? IS IT THE NORMAL PROCEDURE? If not then release it. Otherwise it stinks. Even IF she is "protecting" the reputation of the police things HAVE to be done a certain way.

Oh and yea what odds will you give on her protecting the police?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
I did not realise this was a 'liberal bias' issue.

Furthermore, if "for the sake of argument" I had simply agreed with everything Kabbalah said in the OP that wouldn't lead to much of a discussion now, would it?

"SHOULD the report be protected? IS IT THE NORMAL PROCEDURE?"

What happened in Baltimore was hardly NORMAL (or so I hope). Special circumstances call for special measures. So long as everything is legally proper, of course.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Jun 4, 2015, Kabbalah wrote:
Quote:

The defense still gets total access, so what is the big whoop?

Actually, Mosby's office is hindering discovery...

from the cited article -

"In a response to Mosby's latest filing, defense attorneys said Wednesday that they have been denied an outline of evidence and claims against the officers, and have not been allowed to inspect a knife that was taken from Gray during his arrest."

I don't know the details about all that. I will guess there is a delay because Mosby's office wants the protective order in place first. No point in closing the stable door after the horses bolt, after all. But the defense will clearly get total access in the end. Otherwise I imagine it would lead to a mistrial or certain appeal if anyone was convicted.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On Jun 4, 2015, balducci wrote:

Furthermore, if "for the sake of argument" I had simply agreed with everything Kabbalah said in the OP that wouldn't lead to much of a discussion now, would it?

What happened in Baltimore was hardly NORMAL (or so I hope). Special circumstances call for special measures. So long as everything is legally proper, of course.

It is either special or it is normal procedure. Pick one. Those in charge decide what is legal. normal or special and what is not. Right now it is Mosby who is in charge. She may have a change latter like many of those when it is more in her favor, but now this secret fits her agenda. Till then she does not care what is right or wrong. It is Mosby law. Can you imagine if she was white? Lets riot, I mean protest.

If she was white, she is trying to cover something up. If black it is special circumstances. I think I see it clearer now.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Jun 4, 2015, acesover wrote:
Quote:

It is either special or it is normal procedure. Pick one. Those in charge decide what is legal. normal or special and what is not. Right now it is Mosby who is in charge. She may have a change latter like many of those when it is more in her favor, but now this secret fits her agenda. Till then she does not care what is right or wrong. It is Mosby law. Can you imagine if she was white? Lets riot, I mean protest.

If she was white, she is trying to cover something up. If black it is special circumstances. I think I see it clearer now.

I'm amazed you can see anything, all things considered.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On Jun 4, 2015, NYCTwister wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 4, 2015, acesover wrote:
Quote:

I'm amazed you can see anything, all things considered.

Smile
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
I think that, on this one, I am going t reserve judgment. There are any number of good reasons NOT to release the autopsy to the Baltimore police (not the least of which is that the entire Baltimore police force is a very interested party). The defendants and their counsel ARE getting copies; that enables them to prepare the defense (if they weren't getting copies, I would have difficulty with that). And I think that there is a legitimate concern that pre-trial publicity may taint the impartiality of the jury pool. The defendants have a constitutional right for their trial to be in a courtroom, not in the public press. So I am not necessarily thinking "cover up," or "smoking gun" or exoneration. I am thinking, "Maybe just trying to keep things fair."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16262 Posts

Profile of tommy
The very word "secrecy" is repugnant in a free and open society.

Tommy
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Doesn't the UK restrict press coverage of cases sub judice?

Sometimes I think that that is a very good idea.

Sometimes not.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
819 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On Jun 5, 2015, 0pus wrote:
Doesn't the UK restrict press coverage of cases sub judice?

Sometimes I think that that is a very good idea.

Sometimes not.

I don't know. However this is not the UK. So the answer is not relevant.
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Opus- Yes, they do, as far as I know. And I believe it is indeed relevant because it highlights the fact that not everyone believes that trying cases in the press before they go to trial is a good thing. It is a case where the right to a fair trial and the public's "right to know" need to be balanced.

That is why it is not at all unusual at all for the prosecution OR the defense to request gag orders prior to and during a trial.

And keep in mind that,very often, the side with a losing case, will try to leak enough misleading or incomplete information in order to taint or influence a future jury pool.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
To lighten the mood ...

http://bizarrocomics.com/

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20615 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Jun 5, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
Opus- Yes, they do, as far as I know. And I believe it is indeed relevant because it highlights the fact that not everyone believes that trying cases in the press before they go to trial is a good thing. It is a case where the right to a fair trial and the public's "right to know" need to be balanced.

That is why it is not at all unusual at all for the prosecution OR the defense to request gag orders prior to and during a trial.

And keep in mind that,very often, the side with a losing case, will try to leak enough misleading or incomplete information in order to taint or influence a future jury pool.

While it is not unusual, what is usual is what side people ALWAYS take. When it is their cause it means one thing, when not then it means another. (NOT YOU BOB.)
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Quote:
On Jun 5, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:

While it is not unusual, what is usual is what side people ALWAYS take. When it is their cause it means one thing, when not then it means another. (NOT YOU BOB.)

I am not able to figure out which side the failure to release the autopsy favors - the cop haters or the cop defenders. Or the left of the right.

Have you figured that out, Danny? Could you explain?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Hey, let's not release the autopsy report... (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL