The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » What to Work on (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bin
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Bin
I have the material. Of this there is no doubt. I own Modern Coin Magic, and even own the DVD set. So what should I work on? Can you (lightly) seasoned coin workers help me out and tell me which routines are good to get started on?
(I just keep looking at stuff in there and going "Nope, too hard" or "Nope, not my style." As you can see, I am indecisive by nature.)
Remember Quacky.
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2952 Posts

Profile of fonda57
Lots of good stuff in the coins across section
I j
Bin
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Bin
Ooh, I actually had skipped that one because I had noticed I had been learning a lot of coins across to the exclusion of other things. I'll give it a look.
Remember Quacky.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4842 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Have you gone trou all The Moves???
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Bin
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Bin
No, I'm a bad person. (Seriously, I feel guilty about this.) I can do a bunch, but I haven't methodically gone through them all one by one. (Edge grip and Back palm come to mind as particularly neglected.)
But I find I learn better when I have an actual routine, and I'm not just practicing moves in isolation. At the very least I need a bit of both.
Remember Quacky.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4842 Posts

Well I don't do all the moves That are in There! But I know What they Are! Some Moves Will not FIT you! But how do you know If you don't know what they are? If you don't Do The H.P.C. You should ! Winged Silver Is A good One!
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Bin
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Bin
Oh, well I've read through them, sure. I'll take a look at Winged Silver.
Remember Quacky.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4842 Posts

And You mite Follow it Up With The H.P.C. 3-3 Coins Trou the Table!
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27123 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Good to get started? The most basic "make a coin vanish and find it where you want" could keep you busy for a long time.

Next time, a giraffe! Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2765 Posts

Profile of John Long
Although Bobo (book) is a good resource, I'm not sure its the best place to start.

The DVD vs of Bobo would be better, but I think something like Ammar's Complete Introduction to Coin Magic may be a more manageable way to start. It covers many basic sleights, and has some routines to use them in.

Another resource is Roth's Expert Coin Magic Made Easy; vols 1-3. The coverage of the sleights is comparable to Ammars, but I think the effects Roth teaches are better.

There's a lot of good reason in Jonathan's comment - take a method and look for different ways(effects) to use it, and/or take an effect and look at different methods to make it happen.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Bin
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Bin
I actually went through the Ammar video. Learned quite a lot.
Remember Quacky.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5339 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
My thoughts on the best coin magic resources you can buy. All books except for Dr. Mike's DVD set.

"The Encyclopedia of Coin Sleights" by Dr. Michael Rubinstein (DVD) http://www.llpub.com/zenshop/index.php?m......_id=2562
"Al Schneider on Coins" http://www.amazon.com/Al-Schneider-Coins/dp/1478180005
"CoinMagic" by Richard Kaufman http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S25
"David Roth's Expert Coin Magic" by Richard Kaufman http://geniimagazine.com/kaufman/store/html/49.html
"The Pocketbook" by Curtis Kam http://www.lulu.com/shop/curtis-kam/the-......662.html
"21st Century Coin Mechanics" by Larry Barnowsky http://www.llpub.com/zenshop/index.php?m......_id=2562

Jim
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
Some of my favorite plots that you should explore (There's many methods to them.. Some in Bobo's, some in various DVD's, they can be found in MANY different coin resources):

Winged Silver (Coins Across without a shell)
Three-Fly (I prefer non gimmicked)
Gadabout Coins (It starts with Bobo! See Ron Bauer's website to purchase an excellent version with great presentation)
A Coin "Flurry" or "One-Coin Routine." This is something you should really come up with yourself by getting inspiration from other magicians then putting bits and pieces together to make something that suites you. Jumbo coin Finale's are great!

A few moves I think you should study up on and make sure that you master:

The Classic Palm! Make sure you work on this CONSTANTLY from square one. That's something you can ALWAYS use more practice with. Just make sure you practice with the proper grip and do not practice it a certain way unless you're confident you have the grip right. Proper grip should immediately allow you to have a flat hand without any dinosaur claws or anything of the sort. David Roth teaches it superbly on video.

The Retention Vanish. This is in my opinion one of the most powerful and practical ways to vanish a coin. There's quite a few methods out there, you're just going to have to find one that works for you. CoinVanish.com teaches it decently and gives you a few great pointers.

Going to all the clubs in the greater Miami area, I've seen a lot of phenomenal coin magicians but it's just such a buzz kill to me after I see them do so many great things, they do an EXTREMELY poor shuttle pass. The shuttle pass is something I think is EXTREMELY under practiced and I think it's something coin magicians should spend more extensive time practicing it before performing it. So many people tense up and almost look scared when they do it. It's extremely unnatural and I think even laymen can sense that you're nervous about them seeing something. I'm not saying that the layman wont be fooled, but I think it's important to have flawless performances where your audience has absolutely no suspicion.

Good luck!
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
Some of my favorite plots that you should explore (There's many methods to them.. Some in Bobo's, some in various DVD's, they can be found in MANY different coin resources):

Gadabout Coins (It starts with Bobo! See Ron Bauer's website to purchase an excellent version with great presentation)
A Coin "Flurry" or "One-Coin Routine." This is something you should really come up with yourself by getting inspiration from other magicians then putting bits and pieces together to make something that suites you. Jumbo coin Finale's are great!

The Classic Palm! Make sure you work on this CONSTANTLY from square one. That's something you can ALWAYS use more practice with. Just make sure you practice with the proper grip and do not practice it a certain way unless you're confident you have the grip right. Proper grip should immediately allow you to have a flat hand without any dinosaur claws or anything of the sort. David Roth teaches it superbly on video.

The Retention Vanish. This is in my opinion one of the most powerful and practical ways to vanish a coin. There's quite a few methods out there, you're just going to have to find one that works for you. CoinVanish.com teaches it decently and gives you a few great pointers.

Going to all the clubs in the greater Miami area, I've seen a lot of phenomenal coin magicians but it's just such a buzz kill to me after I see them do so many great things, they do an EXTREMELY poor shuttle pass. The shuttle pass is something I think is EXTREMELY under practiced and I think it's something coin magicians should spend more extensive time practicing it before performing it. So many people tense up and almost look scared when they do it. It's extremely unnatural and I think even laymen can sense that you're nervous about them seeing something. I'm not saying that the layman wont be fooled, but I think it's important to have flawless performances where your audience has absolutely no suspicion.

Good luck!
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury

Good luck!
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury

Good luck!
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury

Good luck!
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury

Good luck!
Zephury
View Profile
Elite user
Hollywood, FL
488 Posts

Profile of Zephury
I have no idea why it posted my reply so many times, I'm sorry. I don't see a way to delete them.
daniel116
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of daniel116
The DVD that helped me the most when I was just getting started is definitely David Stone's Basic Coin Magic (vol.1)
David Stone is an amazing magician and he uses basic sleights to their fullest. He has the best Classic Palm in the buisness if you ask me.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S4501
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » What to Work on (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.28 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL