The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » One way back design marked deck? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

LoveKey1988
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of LoveKey1988
Hi guys,

I am interested to know if there is any marked deck with one way back design?

Regards, Marian
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Phoenix.

One way backs and faces.
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
LoveKey1988
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of LoveKey1988
Is that also marked?
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
Yes. If you order the marked deck.

Phoenix are available in many gaffs.

Watch the video...
"Long may magicians fascinate and continue to be fascinated by the mystery potential in a pack of cards."
~Cliff Green

"The greatest tricks ever performed are not done at all. The audience simply think they see them."
~ John Northern Hilliard
LoveKey1988
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of LoveKey1988
Thanks a lot Kabbalah Smile
Kabbalah
View Profile
Inner circle
1621 Posts

Profile of Kabbalah
You are quite welcome.

And, you will not be disappointed, if you decide to purchase the Phoenix cards.
~Cliff Green

~ John Northern Hilliard
LoveKey1988
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of LoveKey1988
I am sure I won't they seem great from the video...I ordered 3 of the DMC Black/Gold marked decks at the moment and I am waiting for them to arrive but I need a marked one way deck for some effects I am thinking of.
Nick Pudar
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of Nick Pudar
The original Lesley decks had the marking only on one end of the deck, making it automatically a one way deck.
Let me explain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up.
www.stackview.com Version 5.0 is available!
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
If you have a stack memorized you can mark a red Bicycle deck with a binary marking system (not as complicated as it sounds) and place another mark on just one end to make it one-way--I'd go for blotting out the centre white dot in one of the rosettes used for marking since the eyeballs are looking there anyway. Or you can use a red-backed UMD or Lesley deck and place your own one way mark with a red sharpie (there is a lot of discussion elsewhere on the forum that the colour match is very good here).

Failing that, the best manufactured solution is definitely the Phoenix MDs--the marks are well hidden AND easy to read (easier than the UMD) and the one-way marks are equally well concealed. They are also cheaper that the alternative.

Les
TRI6KED
View Profile
Elite user
UK
417 Posts

Profile of TRI6KED
Phoenix decks have a secret one way back and faces design on all their decks. You have to know what to look for in order to spot the marks. Also they do a great marked deck system and as said before, all their decks have the one way system built in.
The decks are excellent if you perform the Faro. I use nothing else.
pnielan
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
152 Posts

Profile of pnielan
I find the red sharpie markings to be a little too shiny. Have tried waiting for them to dry and buffing them with partial reduction. Any one else find this or agree/disagree?
rapmr
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of rapmr
I would like to try and mark a deck with red sharpie. Les, where do I find a resource on how to mark the deck?
LesL
View Profile
Regular user
185 Posts

Profile of LesL
Quote:
On Dec 15, 2015, pnielan wrote:
I find the red sharpie markings to be a little too shiny. Have tried waiting for them to dry and buffing them with partial reduction. Any one else find this or agree/disagree?

I agree. Not as bad as blue sharpie on blue deck which will actually appear violet under some lighting conditions. Buffing is an idea I hadn't considered for red.
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
The Phoenix MDs are superb. I own a bunch of them, and if you really use MDs a lot the per-unit cost drops if you get them in bulk. The marks are clear and integrated beautifully into the design. The placement of the marks is also peripheral and this makes card identification much easier in a spread than, say, in Sharpie-marked or Lesley deck where the marks are more central. The quality is on a par with that of the UMD, but these are half the cost and, to my aging eyes, much easier to use. At a unit price of US$20, or less, plus shipping, you really can't beat them for your standard poker size MD.

The Phoenix Parlour Decks, which use the same marking system, are even cheaper, with a unit cost of US$15 (which goes down if you buy them in bulk--e.g. US$50 for 5, US$80 for 10). In fact, I would suggest that for card mentalism with a larger audience, where the finger-flinging is minimal, the Parlour Deck is ideal--for example, it is well suited to Richard Osterlind's card work and Andy Nyman's "The Code." I love the couple that I have and I am keen to get more.

The only theoretical problem with the Phoenix decks is that the unfamiliar design may scream "gimmicked" to some people, and they obviously aren't a choice for people who insist on the universally familiar Bicycles in order to reduce suspicion. But I say "theoretical problem" for a reason, as it seems when the concern crops up in discussions pretty well anyone who cares to comment indicates that they never have such problems performing with non-Bicycle cards, be they Phoenix or anything else. If you are one who insists on Bikes, then marking your own decks (with the caveats noted above) or turning a UMD or Lesley deck into a one-way deck with a carefully placed mark or scratch are options.

But give Phoenix a look. And, no, I am not being paid for this endorsement Smile

Les
Austen
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Austen
Shin Lims Wrath deck has a one way back, also check Heretic cards, they are really nice looking with the one way back design.
P.L.Green
View Profile
New user
Asturias (SPAIN)
59 Posts

Profile of P.L.Green
Quote:
On Dec 13, 2015, TazBo wrote:
Phoenix decks have a secret one way back and faces design on all their decks. You have to know what to look for in order to spot the marks. Also they do a great marked deck system and as said before, all their decks have the one way system built in.
The decks are excellent if you perform the Faro. I use nothing else.

I have just bought a set of four standard decks, and by reading other posts in this forum I have learnt about the one way back at the top/bottom. Is there a second one way back design on the sides as well as a one way face? If so, how can I find about this?
Can you keep a secret?.....So can I ;o)
rmorrell
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of rmorrell
You can register to watch the Release the Power DVD for free which will show you all the built in features of the Phoenix Cards:

http://release-the-power.com/
Rich Morrell
---
The Magician Blog
P.L.Green
View Profile
New user
Asturias (SPAIN)
59 Posts

Profile of P.L.Green
Thanks a lot, Rich. This was helpful and provided more than I was looking for. I am surprised, though, that the videos do not mention the other back one way marks (asymmetrical "incomplete eights"), unless I missed that part.
Can you keep a secret?.....So can I ;o)
charlie_d
View Profile
Loyal user
201 Posts

Profile of charlie_d
DMC Elites have an extremely clear one-way indicator that is visible at a distance, but is subtle enough to pass unnoticed.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » One way back design marked deck? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL