The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » 1st live magician (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Who was the first live magician you saw -AND- did they inspire you to do this today?
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Marshall Brodien. Yes he inspired me to this day. If it was not for him I would not be where I am today.

But the first live magician I saw was Doug Henning. To this day he inspired me also.
SteveWoyce
View Profile
New user
Family Entertainer
11 Posts

Profile of SteveWoyce
My father, yes that is why I do magic today! At almost 75 he is still out performing as well
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Stanley the Magician (Stanley Susan) He came to our Junior High School Auditorium. All of us kids in the four elementary schools walked to the Jr. High. It was 1938, the middle of the DEPRESSION. Admission was five centa. He did a great show, using all of the classic props like Passe Passe Bottles, Egg Bag,Lota, Afghan Bands, etc.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Jun 4, 2015, Dick Oslund wrote:
Stanley the Magician (Stanley Susan) He came to our Junior High School Auditorium. All of us kids in the four elementary schools walked to the Jr. High. It was 1938, the middle of the DEPRESSION. Admission was five centa. He did a great show, using all of the classic props like Passe Passe Bottles, Egg Bag,Lota, Afghan Bands, etc.

Dick, they weren't the classics then, they were new marvels, the latest and greatest magic. They are classics now! LOL Smile
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1450 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
I saw a magician in my hometown. At the time, he performed effects such as the Milk Pitcher, Chinese Sticks, Rice Bowls, and I remember him closing with the Dove Pan and producing all those wonderful Rice's Picture silks.

Although I still remember this till this, I was never able to track him down years later.

Gerry
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
Albert Le Bas in Dublin.

What has impressed me most about him (he died in 1972 aged 44) was that years later laymen could remember both his name and some of his routines. I never saw him do it, but his Miser's Dream routine earned him a standing ovation at a British Ring convention in the early 1960's. SO's at British conventions are as rare as hen's teeth.
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2393 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Hank Force. He later became a mentor to me, so, yes, I'd say he inspired me.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1912 Posts

Profile of Anatole
My oldest brother tossed a cigarette to the tile kitchen floor, stepped on it, and it reappeared at his fingertips. That was around 1954 when I was maybe 8 years old. My brother had been a jazz drummer and probably learned some magic tricks from magicians he played for on the road.

----- Amado "Sonny" Narvaez
----- Sonny Narvaez
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Jun 5, 2015, Bill Hegbli wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 4, 2015, Dick Oslund wrote:

Dick, they weren't the classics then, they were new marvels, the latest and greatest magic. They are classics now! LOL Smile

Hey! They were, too, classics! In fact, I (me) --that's EGOMEMETIPSE in LATIN! became, at the age of 83, a bonafide, genuine, "living CLASSIC"! hee hee

The AFGHAN BANDS "go back" to MOEBIUS. The Egg Bag to Arnold DeBiere! The Lota to Pratul Chandra Sorcar's homeland. [I own an original Gen Grant LOTA that can be passed for examination!!!] The Passe Passe Bottles fall somewhere in the era. There's a rumor that they were used at the "Wedding Feast At Cana, in the Bible! [I also own a set of passe passe MILK bottles(from the C. Thomas Magrum estate]. Unfortunately, they aren't stamped "P & L".

Thus endeth my rant! hee hee hee (note: that's three hees!)

Dick

I usta call my act: "A CONGRESS OF CABALISTIC PHENOMENA! EXPERIMENTS IN HIGH CLASS PRESTIDIGITATION, AND ILLUSIONARY SCIENCE. SOMETHING NEW, WEIRD AND WONDERFUL! A SIGHT THAT WILL BAFFLE THE SENSES, ASTOUND THE MIND, AND MYSTIFY THE HUMAN BRAIN! --LADIES DELIGHTED! GENTLEMEN PLEASED! CHILDREN IN ECSTASY!--

P.S.: I think the only non classic tricks in the show are the big needle and balloon, and the Professor's Nightmare!
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
I have two early memories of seeing magicians. Unfortunately, I don't know who they were. I saw a magician at my synagogue in New Jersey in the 60's and then I saw a clown magician at a friend's birthday party when I was 8. The clown was my first inspiration as my friend's mom saw how interested I was in the show so she gave three magic books for my birthday. (I still have them!) I couldn't comprehend them at the time but picked them back up at 12 years old and have been at it ever since. Doug Henning was my next inspiration and I saw him perform live at least four times. (I saw "The Magic Show" and "Merlin" on Broadway and then I saw him perform on two national tours.)
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
I saw a magician live for the first time in my school when I was seven or eight. I also performed magic at my seventh birthday party. I don't know which came first, and all I remember about the magician was a pink or red flouncy shirt, and a zombie ball. So I don't know did he influence me.

When I was about ten the local magic club began hosting annual conventions at Halloween and I saw some absolute legends - Hans Moretti, Otto Wesely, Falkenstein and Willard, Paul Daniels, Harry Blackstone, etc. That definitely inspired me.

So did the book The Man who was Magic.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I saw Al Delange perform the fastest trick in the world on the Sullivan show
He did it twice
The first time it worked - the second time, he pulled the cloth away too soon.

At 8, I thought.. "He made a mistake... I can do what he's doing... I can do that!"

And to this day........... I'm........... Still............... Making Mistakes Smile

True story.
MichaelCGM
View Profile
Inner circle
Oklahoma City
2286 Posts

Profile of MichaelCGM
Quote:
On Jun 5, 2015, jay leslie wrote:
I saw Al Delange perform the fastest trick in the world on the Sullivan show
He did it twice
The first time it worked - the second time, he pulled the cloth away too soon.

At 8, I thought.. "He made a mistake... I can do what he's doing... I can do that!"

And to this day........... I'm........... Still............... Making Mistakes Smile

True story.

That was G-R-E-A-T!
Magically Yours,

Magical Michael

MagicalMichael.com Smile Laus Deo!
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
I grew up in South Africa, at a time when there were no magic shops to be found. But from a very early age, I used to get a kick out of my dad making coins appear from my ears, or pushing a cigarette up his nose and pulling it back out of his own ear. So he was responsible for my initial interest in magic. As I got older, I found a magic book in our local library, from which he helped me to build props, and that's how I started performing for friends and family and at school.

I was 6 or 7 years old when I saw my first live magician. Our family had just moved from South Africa to Holland and I was invited to a kids birthday party. The magician wore a tux and top hat, had colorful props, and he was excellent. I remember running around afterwards, trying to impress all the other kids with a rope trick I had just "invented." From this point on, I was forever hooked on magic.

Then, after we returned to South Africa, when I was about 10 or 11 years old, my dad took me to our town hall to see an illusion show. Never figured out who the performer was, but the show was extraordinary, with the pretty assistant floating all around the stage while sitting on a half-moon. At one point I was even selected to come onstage as a volunteer! As a gift for helping him, the magician produced a large bottle of Coca-Cola out of thin air. The sheer wonder and exhilaration of that magic show never left me, and set the stage for my eventual interest in sleight-of-hand effects.

More than 30 years later, at a magic club lecture in New Jersey, I met the performer who had inspired me so ago ago. It was John Calvert! Talking to him and his wife Tammy after the lecture, we were able to trace back the years and confirm that they had performed in in my South African home town during that time.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Awesome story Arthur!

My beginnings were certainly more humble and somewhat foggy. I recall seeing clown at some drive-in restaurant pour a glass of water into his breast pocket and a flower sticking out, grew taller. I also recall seeing a magician at a show at a zoo pull a scarf through his hand and it instantly changed color! Wowzer!!

The earliest magician I recall seeing on TV was making a ball invisibly travel from one hand to the other. No idea who it was.

The first trick I learned was restoring a broken toothpick in a handkerchief. My grandma taught me. My uncle showing me how to work the cups and balls from my first magic set is was really set the hook. That was over 50 years ago. It has been full-throttle since then.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Jun 5, 2015, TonyB2009 wrote:
I saw a magician live for the first time in my school when I was seven or eight. I also performed magic at my seventh birthday party. I don't know which came first, and all I remember about the magician was a pink or red flouncy shirt, and a zombie ball. So I don't know did he influence me.

When I was about ten the local magic club began hosting annual conventions at Halloween and I saw some absolute legends - Hans Moretti, Otto Wesely, Falkenstein and Willard, Paul Daniels, Harry Blackstone, etc. That definitely inspired me.

So did the book The Man who was Magic.

Hi Tony!

I once owned the "largest collection" of "THE MAN WHO WAS MAGIC"!!! On the road, one of my hobbies was to stop at thrift shops to check out the old book shelves (a Jay Marshall influence!). I also had other Paul Gallico's books. "TOO MANY GHOSTS", "THE HAND OF MARY CONSTABLE" etc.

"THE MAN WHO..." was perhaps, Gallico's "best".

In later years, I have thinned out my "16 foot shelf' and sold much of my fiction collection.

My first "magic" book was "The Magic Show Book" by "Alexander the Magician", from the library. Many years later, Jay Marshall and I were discussing our "first" books. I mentioned Alexander, and wished that I still had that book. Jay went into his library and came back in minutes with a "mint" copy, which he gave me as a gift! It's one of my treasures!
The Mighty Fool
View Profile
Inner circle
I feel like a big-top tent having
2140 Posts

Profile of The Mighty Fool
Let's see....that would be either Audry Todd's father at her birthday party, or these 2 guys who performed at our elementary school. Audry's father was funny & cool enough, but looking back, those guys at our school were awful! Neither inspired me. I was first inspired when I stole a copy of the book "Now you see it, now you don't" by Bill Tarr from the local library.
Everybody wants to beleive.....we just help them along.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Friend mighty...

Big tops do not have "posts". Most mud shows nowadays use push POLE tops. A few use bale ring tops, and shows like Cole Bros. use European style tops.

A "tent" IS a "top". There is no such thing as a "big top tent". Unless it's an indoor show, every circus has a big top, [Little mudders using one ring format, Bigger mudders use three ring formats. That's where the show is presented. For years, until recently, every circus had a side show or, "kid show" top.

I have laid out, laced together, staked out and pushed up a few tops --and, guyed them out, too.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Did you have an elephant?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » 1st live magician (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL