The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Web design and implementation (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dan Farmer
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Nevada
235 Posts

Profile of Dan Farmer
Hey guys, you know I've been feeling like a bit of a heel since I can come here and get excellent magic advice although I don't have much to contribute myself. It just dawned on me however that many of you are probably trying to or have already established a web prescence and since I am quite good at programming and design (err...I mean that in the most humble way possible) I wanted to offer my skills in that area in return Smile

If you have a project in progress now you can reply to this thread and maybe I could help you out otherwise you can PM me or email me.

-Dan

UPDATE: I realized that I should probably give you an idea of my "qualifications." First, this is free! You've got nothing to lose from seeing if I can help you. Ok, with that out of the way I have been doing web programming for 5 years, I designed one professional site but his business went under (selling ninja stuff, don't ask). I can "program" in HTML (Markup language for webpages) although that isn't much of an accomplishment because it's actually very easy. I have put quite a bit of study into style and layout of web media. Finally I can also program in php and setup/interface with databases (for example the Cafe here is a huge php script interfacing with a database).
Stuart Hooper
View Profile
Special user
Mithrandir
759 Posts

Profile of Stuart Hooper
I am using a free domain service like 0catch. So you have any advise on ftps? What are you looking for in trade? Pls e-mail me if you are interested in talking fursther. Smile
Dan Farmer
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Nevada
235 Posts

Profile of Dan Farmer
I wanted to add one more thing before I give up on this idea (because I really would like to help people out). Let's say the you use microsoft frontpage or microsoft publisher or to a lesser extent macromedia dreamweaver to build your web page. So you already have a good looking webpage and it is no more difficult for you to maintain than it is to type a letter. This is all well and good except your site is SLOW, the reason being is that there has not been a WYSIWYG editor yet that could generate decent code let alone the kind of optimization that a human can do. I've browsed a few cafe members sites and have seen obvious places where it would be possible to make the site load several times faster. Just something to consider before this post fades into oblivion (not that my girlfriend will mind my free time).

-Dan
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Hi Jack,
Could you have a look at my site.

http://www.phillipjones-magicforall.co.uk

I wrote it in dreamwaver but I learn't Html
first so I can edit the code manually in deamwaver if you see any great code blunders.
It is not a fancy site no flash or anything like that. Just the info and I tried to keep the pages under 35k.
Phillip
Dan Farmer
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Nevada
235 Posts

Profile of Dan Farmer
Hey pb, I have molecular bio this morning so I just glanced at it but I can see a few kb that could be shaved off of each page without changing anything that is visible to a user. Also it would be possible to tidy the code up significantly and make the site faster by using style sheets. When I get home from bio around 12:00 Pacific time I'll see if I can't whip up a style and I will test the modifications I'd make. If everything is good I will send you an email with what you can do to speed your site up and any files you might need. (I'll even try to track down how to use stylesheets in dreamweaver Smile)

-Dan
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
I'll be glad to help with Flash Programming if needed. I also write raw HTML and am whiz with graphics including .gif animations.

http://riff.eubankrs.net
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Web design and implementation (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL