The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » How would you make a COMPLETE and VERSATILE set of gaffed coins? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gurru
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of gurru
Hello all!

I have always worked with regular coins but I want to get a good set of gaffed coins, and I was wondering what this should contain. I know absolutely nothing about gaffed coins.
I will get it from Xavier Belmont, Jamie Schoolcraft or Todd Lassen, in dollar sized coins.
I work mainly at restaurants, both in front of the table and ON the table, and I like routines such as 3CF, coins across, one coin routine, matrix, spellbound, coinone, etc.
I want the set to be VERY COMPLETE AND VERSATILE, as this will be my one and only set of coins.

The question is:
WHAT DO YOU THINK SUCH A SET MUST/SHOULD (MUSN'T/SHOULDN'T) CONTAIN SO THAT IT IS COMPLETE AND VERSATILE?

So far I know:
Reduced coin
Non exp [
Exp [
4 regular coins
Regular gravity flipper

Anything else? To work with other coloured coins, what would you include?

Tank you very much for your help!!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27136 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Expanded shimmed sliders for a couple of magnetic coins should get you started. At least one 1->4 nest, shimmed if available. some matching gaffs in copper so you can use the ] gaffs. Then at least one c/s gaff also magnetic so you can really take advantage if the sliders. A stack of four magnetic is handy. adding shimmed or magnetic singles to the pile is a strategy. Smile mike Gallo's Siamese approach is also well worth exploring.

That should get you through exploring the standard routines. when you get into character and context you will likely find a rebuild as theatrical props becomes show specific.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4079 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
It sounds like you have a good knowledge of sleight of hand, so you really don't need a "complete" set of gaffs. First, think about what you want to do with it. If you can't do it with sleight of hand, that's where the gaff comes in handy. Don't waste your money on a set with cut down coins, just get an expanded [ if you want to do that kind of work. Maybe a c/s coin if that would help, but unless you want to do specialty stuff like cig thru quarter and such, save your money and get a few good books and dvds on SOH. Much better investment for your money.
Available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
And if anyone (USA ONLY) needs some of the coin stuff used in the book, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com as I have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8798 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Welcome to the Café, gurru… Smile

I have to agree with Doc somewhat here, if you possess a good ability as to sleight of hand, then you are pretty much already in a good place without gaff coins. Smile

But if you must, if you really want to add the versatility of the trick coins, then a good coin for a variety of routines is the TUC (Tango Ultimate Coin). When you buy it, And this is anything but a one-trick pony (like a lot of coin sets are), I believe it comes with info on how to do several tricks with it, plus there have been books and DVDs done with tons of effects with it.

It really is a versatile coin, and quite economical. Mr. Tango has invested a lot of time into the coin and its uses, and he's not just a creator, but is also a pretty good closeup coin man and as such demonstrates all of what you can do with it. *Also available in dollar size, as you request. Smile

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM3_rMnrDgo

The coin even won an award for its uniqueness at FISM. It certainly should be seriously considered, as you can do all the things you mention and more with it, in conjunction with a few regular matching coins.

And if you want to go more simply, a good [ and C/S coin from Johnson's will take you pretty darn far for little money. Smile

Hope that helps, and again welcome. Smile
*Check out my latest: The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
gurru
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of gurru
Thank you all for your help and warm welcome to the forum!

I am not an expert but I believe I have a solid basis on sleight of hand with coins that will allow me to incorporate gaffs with great results. I don't want coin tricks but tools. My main doubt is regarding different coloured coins. For the "regular coins" I believe the best would be:
Reduced coin
Non Exp [
Exp [
4 regular coins
1 gravity flipper

Do you agree?

Regarding other coloured coins I get overwhelmed as I go through the forums and options Smile

Is CSB a good and complete set or would you add something to it?

The other option would be something like:
2 regular copper and matching [
2 regular chinese and matching [
1 C/S

Remember, I am looking for tools to increase on versatility, impact and options, rather than specific tricks.
Again thank you so much for your thoughts as it is very useful!!
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8798 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Not sure how you can think about a tool and its versatility, and not be given examples of it in usage/effect??? Oh well, if you're not interested in the tricks you can do with it, then just take the suggestions of the various coins and go from there on your own. Seems simple enough, you don't have to eat everything on the plate. 😊

That being said... You might simply refer to Eric Jones, "Metal" series, specifically his DVD on gaff coins. He explains them, demonstrates them, examines their versatility, and shows you how he uses and mixes them into some of the wonderful effects he's come up with. Should be along your focus here and very helpful, as he's probably done in one way or another whatever it is you're just trying to do at this point. ☺️

Hope that helps more. 😎

-Mb
*Check out my latest: The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5134 Posts

Profile of videoman
I usually get a gaff based on a certain need. If I can utilize it for other things then I consider that to be a bonus.
The most useful all around IMO is an expanded shell and a copper/silver.
The gaffs you mentioned for regular coins is good, they're not going to be cheap though but a worthwhile investment if you think you will use them.

I would worry less about getting a "good and complete" set and having the utmost versatility, and really figure out what it is you wish to accomplish and what gaff (if any) you need to make it work. Versatility can be a good thing, but there are also times when versatility can hinder you. Kind of like the old saying "jack of all trades, yet master of none".
You don't have to get everything at once either. By the time you receive your first couple pieces, you may have changed your mind about what else you want or need.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22824 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Hopping Half set will give you the most number of gaffed coins you can use in other ways. Have not purchased gimmicked coins in a long time, but I am sure someone makes it Dollar Size by now.
Moondragon1
View Profile
Regular user
Washington state
153 Posts

Profile of Moondragon1
Does anyone have a dollar size hopping halves set? Smile
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5134 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Jul 30, 2015, Moondragon1 wrote:
Does anyone have a dollar size hopping halves set? Smile

I have a Tango set with Ikes and a dollar size copper coin.
It's not bad for the price and will get the job done which is really all that matters.
But if you're a perfectionist (like me) then it can't compare with something from Lassen.
But obviously you get what you pay for. Tango is mass producing these whereas Lassen is charging for the time and attention to detail that he puts into them.
Zee
View Profile
Regular user
Leonia, NJ
195 Posts

Profile of Zee
Hi, gurru, welcome to magic Café.

If I were to suggest coin gaff set to someone who has solid base in sleight of hand, I would like to suggest Bob Swadling's Triception set with a few extra matching inserts. It contains 1 shimmed exp [, 1 new magnetic flipper, 1 mag. coin, 1 mag. oldout, 1 pocekt coin holder, 1 mag. card, and 1 DVD. I do not personally own Bob Swadling's coin set but I have seen his works and they are wonderful.

I personally use Jamie Schoolcrafts's and Auke van Dokkum's works and they are serving me well too, But I think Triception set is a pretty sexy deal.

Zee
Moondragon1
View Profile
Regular user
Washington state
153 Posts

Profile of Moondragon1
Thank you videoman!:-) I bet the quality of lassen is good, I have heard so on many occasions. I have been thinking of going with school craft, I love how nice the coins look in Eric's hands on metal. Are they as nice in real life, anyone?
Thanks
Moondragon1
View Profile
Regular user
Washington state
153 Posts

Profile of Moondragon1
PS... Can anyone pm me how to post my own forum?
Thanks magic men and women!
:-)
Moondragon1
View Profile
Regular user
Washington state
153 Posts

Profile of Moondragon1
I have figured it out.
Thanks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » How would you make a COMPLETE and VERSATILE set of gaffed coins? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL