The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Singalee, Ringling Sideshow fire eater 1946 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
In 1946 I caught the "WAIT BROS. CIRCUS", which was what many old timers called Ringling Bros. Barnum & Bailey Circus in the '20s and '30s, because bill posters would post "WAIT FOR THE BIG SHOW " bills, when RB & BB was following a smaller circus in the same town. This was in the days of "lot & license" or "blue sky" dates. Later,many shows would book dates, sponsored by civic organizations as fund raisers.

I also remember, in the late '30s when Parker & Watts were booked to play Escanaba, about 3 weeks before Cole Bros. The bill posters had a "rat sheet war"! Both shows paraded in those days. If I remember correctly, Cole Bros. won the "battle".

The RB & BB side show bannerline was at least a hundred footer. SINGALEE was a featured act. He did standard material, but, he also did "licking a tailor's iron (used to press clothing) AND, he did the BLOW TORCH for a finish. I had never seen the blowtorch, and haven't since!

When I was a teenager in the'40s, I did fire, as well as magic. Two acts paid more than one!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of Quentin
I wonder if that was Claude Cingalee, a UK magician who did a Chinese act?
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8364 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Hi Quentin!
This was the summer of '46, in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, I met "Red Friend" that day, He was doing the magic. --A nice little coin routine that finished with the coin pail. ("It" was a #10 tin can.) I also met the late Charlie Roark who did a very fine Punch & Judy. We were friends until he died, a few years ago.

The Singalee whom I saw, appeared to be Oriental, which may have been wardrobe and makeup. Also, his name was spelled with an "S". He didn't talk. His fire act was very impressive,
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
cheesewrestler
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
1147 Posts

Profile of cheesewrestler
"Sinhalese" - the ethnic group who make up a majority of the population of Ceylon, aka Sri Lanka.

(If that helps in any way.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Singalee, Ringling Sideshow fire eater 1946 (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL