The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Anyone For Chess... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Hudson892
View Profile
Regular user
Sheffield, UK
103 Posts

Profile of Hudson892
Just wondering if they're are any avid chess players on here? I play a lot and just wondered if anyone knew any chess related effects or just fancied talking about it Smile
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
I was once an avid player, but Carlsen just drained the energy right out of me. I really don't know of any magic effects with a chess theme, and have briefly looked at some knight's tour ideas, but have never conjured up anything. I do know there are some good players here and they will probably check in...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I play some for fun now. In 1985, I was the 8th most active member of the United States Chess Federation.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I was captain of my high school chess team. This was not an elected position, it had to do with who the best player was on the team. Of course, that was in the 1970's. In the very early 70's I had the honor of having my butt handed to me in a game of chess; I was playing the man who taught Bobby Fisher to play. That game did not last 10 minutes. Nothing I treid worked or had a prayer of working. I was still honored to play him, and to be able to say I played him.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Or maybe Carmine Nigro?

"Nigro was an American chess expert of near master strength and an instructor. Nigro was President of the Brooklyn Chess Club. This is where he met Bobby Fischer and in 1951 became his first chess teacher. Nigro (rated 2028) hosted Fischer's first chess tournament at his home in 1952.

"In 1956, Nigro moved to Florida and became a professional golf instructor. He did not give up teaching chess, though, and in 1996 he taught chess at the Meyer Jewish Academy. In 1999, Nigro moved to Peachtree City, Georgia, to be close to his son Bill Nigro. He died in 2001, at the age of 91."
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I've tried chess several times, and just can't seem to get into it. Either I'm not competitive enough, or I can't grasp how to go from the short-term gain to the long-term gain (or whatever you call it). Like, should I be thinking x moves ahead, or going through all these old games and tactics in my head, or what?

It's kind of a shame, because I think it could be fun, but my brain just doesn't seem to work that way. Ah, well...
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
At about age 30 I picked up tournament chess. I managed to get a rating of around 1700, but that was it. I now play 2 minute bullet chess on chess.com. I'm lousy, but most of my opponents make worse mistakes at critical moments.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Chessman: while I don't remember the teacher's name, what you are saying makes sense. It may have been Nigro, as this was in 1971 or 1972 and it did take place in Florida where I was visiting my elderly grandparents.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2015, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
At about age 30 I picked up tournament chess. I managed to get a rating of around 1700, but that was it. I now play 2 minute bullet chess on chess.com. I'm lousy, but most of my opponents make worse mistakes at critical moments.

You know who wins a chess game, right? The person who makes the second-to-last mistake.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Sixten
View Profile
Inner circle
Floral Park, NY, U.S.A.
4654 Posts

Profile of Sixten
O-O-O Smile
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2015, LobowolfXXX wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2015, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:

You know who wins a chess game, right? The person who makes the second-to-last mistake.

Indeed.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Anyone For Chess... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL