The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Magic with bread or toast (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Lou Is
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Lou Is
Hello.
Has anyone got any good resources for bread magic? Toast is ok / No buns - familiar with coin in bun (or loaf) which is good, but not where I'm headed.
Thinking bread. Many patter possibilities, obviously. Thanks!
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
You can make small balls out of bread "on the fly" and perform many effects like Benson Bowl, Chop Cup and Birds of a Feather.

A slice of toast can serve as a platen to mask an object for other effects like Two marshmallows under the toast, one in the pocket.

but, there has to be a reason for using toast and even bread as opposed to other available objects

Magic at the camp table is a viable theme, but the opportunities rare.

I have done this, but have found poor audience amongst the bleary eyes of dawn.

Magic with cooking objects like eggs, and vegetables works too, but toast doesn't fit in.

you can bake a cake in a hat, and a loaf of bread could work -- if you then do something wonderful with the bread.

I seem to recall seeing video of a performer producing a loaf of bread as a comedy bit -- any method for a bottle of wine would work.

"Let's offer a toast - no, that wont work! I'll try again. Magic words, 'bubbly bubbly' -- yes, Champaign will be perfect."
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Ken! You "made" my morning! hee hee!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Lou Is
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Lou Is
Thank you funsway. Great toast.
Post!
MJE
View Profile
Elite user
After all these years,I STILL have only
409 Posts

Profile of MJE
How about a play-on-words? Bread to money, etc.

Man, we magic folks do ask some weird questions, don't we? And people actually ANSWER them!
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1452 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
[quote]On Jun 14, 2015, MJE wrote:
How about a play-on-words? Bread to money, etc.

Sounds like your in the dough!

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Even better, you can subtly prompt a spectator to offer the phrase, "You're in the dough."

I have also heard from spectators, 'Getting a rise out of this." "A 'hole' bun is a donut" "Egging me on." and a whistled, "Spoon full of sugar."
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Gerald Deutsch
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Gerald Deutsch
Well how about pushing your middle finger through the middle of a piece of bread, haing it lay flat, put some catchup around it and at a party show it to a guest and ask if she would like one.
Gerald Deutsch
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Gerald Deutsch
Well how about pushing your middle finger through the middle of a piece of bread, haing it lay flat, put some catchup around it and at a party show it to a guest and ask if she would like one.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
You know that routine where the magician produces an endless number of bananas (sponge bananas) or endless carrots , endless pickles ? Well if you have the skills to carve and paint a set of foam breadsticks you could do the same thing with bread sticks. Maybe Alan Wong or Magic Latex could be talked into producing a set of breadsticks.

This is an interesting exercise , to come up with some "tricks with bread" . I realize some of these involve some preparation or props , so not truly impromptu , but off the top of my head here are some ideas:

I don't have a method yet , but it seems to me that a torn & restored bread effect could be worked out ... rip up a piece of bread into four pieces and then visibly restore it .

Levitating breadstick (figure out something with loops ; this is impromptu as long as you are set up with loops) .

The "Magnetic Cigar" effect (magically clings to your fingers) but in this case performed with a bread stick. David Ben has a great handling of the Magnetic Cigar in the Genii October 2012 issue . Maybe combine that idea with the finale being that the breadstick floats between your hands (again with the loops) .

With a hard breadstick you could make it vanish and reappear with Flipstick moves.

Thread a rope through a Pretzel , cover it with a napkin , reach under the napkin and the pretzel is magically removed from the rope .

Chop Cup routine with a coffee cup , with rolled up balls of bread vanishing and appearing under the cup ... and the final load is a muffin or a bread roll.

It might be possible to work out a sequence with coin manipulation moves done with various types of round crackers ("Ritz" crackers or round Melba toast). Here are some round crackers fabricated from resin.

If you could fabricate a realistic foam breadstick with one side being a "twisted" breadstick and the other side being a straight (non-twisty) breadstick it might work for a trick where a twisted breadstick turns into a non-twisted bread stick using the paddle/color-changing knives move .

Several companies make "fake food" props which could be adapted for magical effects. For example :

http://www.decorcentral.com/fake-breads/

http://www.propsamerica.com/products.asp......nd+Rolls

http://www.displayfakefoods.com/store/pc/Fake-Breads-c51.htm

http://www.justdoughit.com/AWSCategories......nd-Rolls

How about two plain pieces of bread which are shown front and back , wrap them in a napkin , then when you unwrap the napkin a full ham & cheese sandwich is revealed .
Or have a hamburger with cheese, lettuce and tomato appear between two previously empty buns ?

funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Glad to see you joinin gin, David. Great idea.

and it caused me to remember doing a Zombie effect with a dinner roll and a fork and napkin.

Not orginal -- just don't recall where I read it first.

FoggFactor
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
189 Posts

Profile of FoggFactor
Depending on the performance, the bread could be a running gag. Something like the bread always ends up in weird places..?
Produce a roll from your mouth (spongeball technique), a loaf from your shoes (earth shoes), a bag of breadsticks from a spectator's purse...Just spitballing the first few things that come to mind.

I remember that zombie levitation you are talking about. Great impromptu magic. Also, there is the old gag where you "bounce" a roll off the floor.

Interesting question...hope this helps.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Magic with bread or toast (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL