The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Thimbles? (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Lou Is
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Lou Is
Does anyone do a thimble routine? While I think it is cool, and definitely part of the history of magic, I don't really see where they would fit in - except closeup. There have been a lot of very good thimble routines (mainly from the 30's and 40's), but have you ever seen anyone use them on stage, and how did it go over?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Her is an example of Modern day thimble technique.

Another example.

The old text just give you mechanics, it is what you do with those mechanics that counts.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Lou has fallen into that trap of "If I didn't get this from the kitchen drawer then it can't be magic"
But wait... Thimbles are sometines found in the kitchen drawer.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Who besides Mr. McBride carries thimbles everyday? I have several, some with rhinestones some that are solid silver. Remember.. some people like variety and not a dozen 4 ace tricks.

To me, thimbles would work well in a restaurant because people at the far end can see them and you don't necessarily need to talk or be in great lighting. ALSO you're doing them at chest level and people at the far end can see your performance over top of the flower arrangement, if one is present.

Another fact is a LOT of women collect thimbles today in the same manor that people collect pens or coin tricks, so, the gents watching will appreciate your routine for the dexterity and "foolzem" quality whereas many non-gents may like the action and glitz, especially if you have a set that allows for color changes. Kids are a no brainer.

If you do a few thimble moves at a kids party, you can A. incorporate them into a warm-up B. something to do for a late-comer who didn't see the show or C. while you're standing there in the kitchen waiting for the host to decide to finally get your check..... ten minutes after you said you were packed and ready to go.... So if you have those extra tricks to do, this is a good time to hand-out business cards and you did a trick especially for the adults. They feel special and will keep your card longer then if they found it on the table.

My routine consists of moves and slights as opposed to a proper multiplying. I like the Pop Up Through The center of the silk move best because people snap their eyes wide open.
mtpascoe
View Profile
Inner circle
1932 Posts

Profile of mtpascoe
A thimble can be used as a normal prop in many ways. One way I was thinking of using the next time I perform manipulation is by having a sewing box on stage. Open it up and take out a thimble. Then go into your standard routine.

Then afterwards, take out a ball with needles on it which is a standard item in a sewing box. Then go into a needle swallowing.

Or you can use the thimbles that are used for office supplies and do a routine with them.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Jun 14, 2015, Lou Is wrote:
Does anyone do a thimble routine? While I think it is cool, and definitely part of the history of magic, I don't really see where they would fit in - except closeup. There have been a lot of very good thimble routines (mainly from the 30's and 40's), but have you ever seen anyone use them on stage, and how did it go over?

Mike Caveney did a thimble act on stage...He done good!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Thimbles may not be for everyone...but they worked out pretty well for Cardini, Mike Skinner, and Paul Rosini, and John Carney.

If you have a context in which they make sense...a well done routine will play well.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
I have to agree with JNeal. I bought several sets and started to work with them. I liked the moves and some of the routines I saw. One night I was practicing with them and my daughter ask me why I was trying to do magic with "those caps". I told her they were not caps but thimbles. She looked at me with the most innocent face I'd ever seen on her and ask "dad what is a thimble?" I put them up and never did anything else with them.

That's my two cents and that is just about what it's worth.

David
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Here is a recent performance by Jason Alexander.
http://features.aol.com/video/jason-alex......ng-trick
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
I use them in my childrens show and it kills. kids don't care what they are, some know,they are having fun. even if you have not a perfect sense presentation it is still good magic. people like good magic. I am working on a short routine for close up because you put a couple in your pockets and have fun with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xruqMADB0s JEFF HOBSON

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m06vyxMGU-g TENYOU THIMBLE MAGIC I like the color changes up to 4 thimbles. that would be enough.
alextsui
View Profile
Regular user
Malaysia
155 Posts

Profile of alextsui
This is the only stage routine that I have seen in which the thimble is presented as what it is- a device to protect the fingers while sewing. This routine is also aptly named "The Tailor". Smile

https://youtu.be/mgOYRuM_VsM
The Best Magic Effects to Take Your Performance to the Next Level
https://FireBirdMagic.com
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
You seriously want to do thimbles? Here is a complete stage act, ready to go:

http://jeffscanlan.com/store.php

Doug
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Thimbles are fun to watch and prove you've worked your butt off at something, I guess, if it's a visual and dynamic routine.
I wouldn't pick them to do on stage. They don't fit my style, but if I was a kids magician for a living, I'd definitely want to do that.

Kudos to you, Robert Blake for going the extra mile for kids. Where most are happy with PB&J and a changebag, you're busting your ass to take it to the next level!

I have lots of thimbles at home and have tinkered with them but never got something I was happy with enough to perform.
Maybe one day.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Thank you fank
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Many thimble sleights can be used for other things. the study and practice can pay dividends even if you never perform with them publicly

Finger rings, PVC pipe fittings, metal nuts (with those threads inside even grandma can do sleights), bottle/tube caps, finger puppets just to name a few.

Every kid runs around with olives on their fingers -- why not you?

mtpasco - tired to send you a PM but your box is full.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
One of my favorite routines to perform when I was entertaining children was my Three Little Pigs routine. I had made 3 pig finger puppets and wore a wolf nose mask. The children really got into it.

Tony
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Facesofmagic Videos

David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2328 Posts

Profile of David Todd
This routine by Jeff Hobson is very simple and straightforward . Nice visual magic. No great mystery to fool other magicians , but good for a real audience .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xruqMADB0s

Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Still available..
https://youtu.be/zyIsllgjJe4
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Pete's Peeper video - staring - The one and only Pete Biro!

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Thimbles? (11 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL