The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Thimbles? (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
That is classic!

Doug
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Once, long ago, I met an Ex-Professional Hockey Goalie who had his two front teeth knocked out by a Hockey Puck.

When he retired from Hockey, he decided he wanted to become a Magician, and learned to do a "Thimble Bit".

The moves were great, but his patter needed a bit of help, especially the part where he asked the audience..."Thith kikth ath, doethnt it?"
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2015, Rainboguy wrote:
...the part where he asked the audience..."Thith kikth ath, doethnt it?"

Sounds like Criss Angel...

Doug
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
When I worked at a school , I normally carried a thimble in one pocket. Just a red plastic one. I'd use it to cheer up a lonely kid, get a chuckle from the bored kids who would sit instead of play on the playground, and occupy my hands when I didn't have anything else to do at the end of the day while waiting for my kids to get their packs.

Never did a routine, as such. I'd pull it out, make a point of sticking it onto the finger, pull it off the finger with the other hand and offer it to a kid, who would find an empty hand and the thimble back on the finger. And so on. Nothing fancy, really, just basic sleights and an aquitment.

It is a fun little thing. Because I carried it with my keys, that thimble didn't last as long as it should have...

-Patrick
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1788 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
TXKEVIN
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of TXKEVIN
IMO...many presentations don't need an explanation of what a thimble is. Spectators will either know it's a thimble or won't. If they don't, it'll just be a plastic cap to them. However, the fact that you're skillfully manipulating the thimble/cap/prop in a magical way will likely be their chief observation. Do people have other experiences? Do spectators ask you what those plastic/wood/silicon things are on your fingers?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
TXKEVIN, I agree with your statements.
mtgoldstein
View Profile
Veteran user
Houston, TX
325 Posts

Profile of mtgoldstein
Berland's Routine!
Brad Jeffers
View Profile
Veteran user
376 Posts

Profile of Brad Jeffers
Can anyone comment on the use of nesting thimbles.
Do they offer any real advantages?
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Yes, for my children routine in need 2 sets. so in my pocket I have 2 thimbles. at the end of my routine I can show one thimble and go to four in an instant.

get this: http://www.lybrary.com/werrys-fantastic-......145.html
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Brad Jeffers, the nesting Thimbles by Fun Inc. and Vernet would be great if they did not use the Werry model for them. Unfortunately they do. I have several sets and the books for them, but the thimbles are just to large for anyone's fingers. You cannot even make adjustments to them to fit better because of the nesting principle.

I have thin fingers, but if you have what I call, because I cannot think of any other way to describe it, is factory worker hands. Meaning large thick fingers.

I believe most thimbles on the consumer market go to size 10 or so. The nesting thimbles are twice the size.

The only alternative to this would be is to make them yourself, and that would be a very big project.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Quote:
On Nov 20, 2015, ROBERT BLAKE wrote:
Yes, for my children routine in need 2 sets. so in my pocket I have 2 thimbles. at the end of my routine I can show one thimble and go to four in an instant.

get this: http://www.lybrary.com/werrys-fantastic-......145.html

Hey Robert! You just reminded me! Karrell Fox had an ultra simple, short, 1 to 8 thimble routine in one of his books. I've sold my Fox books to a young friend. I'll see if he can look it up for you.

I'll PM you. I have a NEW EMAIL ADDRESS.

O
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Thank you Dick. looking forward to your PM
AndreOng1
View Profile
Regular user
SIngapore
110 Posts

Profile of AndreOng1
I think it is hard for people to know what they are. It is not a "normal" item to be seeing onstage.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
Only magicians care. not an audience. kids love them. those funny caps that vanish.
i hope many magicians will keep thinking like that. this way I Always have a great kids routine.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On May 13, 2016, AndreOng1 wrote:
I think it is hard for people to know what they are. It is not a "normal" item to be seeing onstage.

Funny, Fabric and Kraft stores are business in our city.

You must be one of those rich guys, that when a button falls off your shirt or coat, you just throw it away and go buy another one.
friend2cptsolo
View Profile
Elite user
Spent all this time on the Cafe' and all I have to show for it is
445 Posts

Profile of friend2cptsolo
If you wanted to put them into a story then doing so would require context????? I wonder if little derby style hats or little top hats could work.
Each finger being a "magician" of their own.
if someone was very crafty them could make many styles of hats for different occupations, police?, astronaut?? a viking? perhaps even hair for men and women.
but all of this would restrict the item to be nestled into another one...and mostly make many "moves" difficult
Finger puppets are a neat idea also and can have some funny interactions between which characters appear or disappear

but then again like other's keep pointing out in this thread why not just let them be thimbles or caps that fit on the finger??

any thoughts?
Glenn Godsey
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Glenn Godsey
I have performed thimble routines many times for college students 18 to 22 years old. I always ask if they know what my first large plastic thimble is. They shout "a thimble"!
It's no problem. Even if they didn't know, it wouldn't be a problem. Do they know what a "Dean's Box" is?

Glenn Godsey
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Thimbles? (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL