The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Sleeving (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
J Christensen
View Profile
Regular user
150 Posts

Profile of J Christensen
Does anyone use sleeving anymore? Like using a Topit some surprising vanishes and production can result. However, now days fewer magicians wear jackets so using this technique may be rare.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4855 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Well I don't use it for Close-up! But a little for Stand-up!
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8815 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I guess I may have used it now & again. 😎
*Check out my latest: MBs Mini Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2956 Posts

Profile of fonda57
I like sleeving. I do that when I do full frontal assault
I j
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4095 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
I use sleeves, but only when it gets cold....Smile
Available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
And if anyone (USA ONLY) needs some of the coin stuff used in the book, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com as I have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book.
drmagico
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of drmagico
I use sleeving during a one coin routine I perform as well as a topit. Like anything else it should not be overused.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4855 Posts

Quote:
On Jun 15, 2015, Michael Rubinstein wrote:
I use sleeves, but only when it gets cold....Smile

Yea And Some times When I eat! Smile
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4095 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
We better sleeve the puns alone or they will get mad at us Smile
Available at dealers EVERYWHERE - RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC- The biggest book on coin magic since Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, and the most important since David Roth's Expert Coin Magic! Hardbound, 500 pages, 20 chapters of state of the art coin magic illustrated with 930 crisp photos! A contribution chapter from over 20 of the world's top coin magicians! This will be the book against which all future books on coin magic will be measured! Already called a Modern Classic!!
And if anyone (USA ONLY) needs some of the coin stuff used in the book, shoot me an email at rubinsteindvm@aol.com as I have some limited supplies of coins and props used in the book.
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
Neither snow it rain or sleeve will keep me from my gigs.

To sneeze it not to sneeze

That is the question.

Depends on the season.
Less is more for this nearly normal coin guy.
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4855 Posts

Hay I thought I was Really Rock-coing With them!
David Neighbors

The Coinjurer

www.coinjurer.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8361 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Emil Jarrow was a top vaudeville act. He was also a great close up performer.

I, for one, do not appreciate, Mr. Christensen, your mentioning techniques in an open forum.

Jarrow could vanish a handful of LOOSE TOBACCO in his bare hands. He used THE technique. Asked how to learn to do it, he replied, "Practice with buckshot on a tin roof!"

You may not know it, but, many fine performers use THE technique.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6881 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On Jun 15, 2015, Dick Oslund wrote:
I, for one, do not appreciate, Mr. Christensen, your mentioning techniques in an open forum.

Sleeving is like palming. Like a Double Lift. The technique is not described. No harm! Smile

Doug
AidanHeritage
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of AidanHeritage
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
His book gave me fits.

H
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
daniel116
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of daniel116
I would love to use sleeving, but sports jackets aren't popular where I come from, I'd look suspicious before even doing anything! also it's too hot for long sleeves about eleven months a year here so...
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1862 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2015, daniel116 wrote:
... sports jackets aren't popular where I come from ...

And where might that be?

I always use a jacket when I perform, but don't use sleeving because I roll up my sleeves with the shirt sleeves pulled up over the jacket sleeves, which are also pulled up, similarly to Darwin Ortiz. I want to preclude "It went up his sleeve" as a possible explanation as to method.
daniel116
View Profile
Regular user
196 Posts

Profile of daniel116
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2015, Ray Haining wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2015, daniel116 wrote:
... sports jackets aren't popular where I come from ...

And where might that be?

Tel-Aviv, Israel.
Very hot weather, and at winter, such jackets are only rarely worn when attending a wedding or so.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1862 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Jackets are not particularly popular here in the U.S. either. But as a magician, don't you want to stand out rather than blend in with the crowd?
AidanHeritage
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of AidanHeritage
Standing out is one thing, passing out another thing entirely - which would probably be the case in Israel!
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
8815 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I worked in business in NYC for decades and a lot of times wore jackets, even suits quite often enough. I guess that's about how I began sleeving all the time. Smile I would do it on my way walking to the subways, waiting for trains, buses, etc., whenever I was up an about. It really was just a fun thing to do and practice. And the magic of it was always so immediately rewarding, whether I did it within an effect for people or just working on things myself (Actually came up with a few notable contributions in this area, just playing around with it). You keep playing with that thing and you just get pretty good at it, and you find a few nice ways of using it…I sure did. Smile

I still get to wear a nice sleeved sweater or jacket now and again, and the sleeving comes right back to me. I really think people should look into it more (Like I think folks should look more into the wonderful "Pitch" move as well), Smile because even if you don't sleeve or can't quite get to doing it much, it teaches some interesting things as to misdirection, pattering, movement, angles, blocking…magic. Smile
*Check out my latest: MBs Mini Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Sleeving (3 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL