The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Let's talk about what you use (11 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Prometheus
View Profile
Special user
Europe
524 Posts

Profile of Prometheus
Peter, it sounds like propless seems to be the real thing to you. But let me tell you, that using billets, books and other things in mentalism doesn't make a diffefence FOR YOUR AUDIENCE at all. It never happend to me, that after using a billet or something similar a spectator said "please show us/me something without using props/pen and paper". They enjoy it the same way. Even pros known for their geat prop free effects do not only perform this way.
Another important point is, working with 'props' gives your spectators something visuall to see. However it seems that you understand this point, as you stated in your first post that you (want to) work with large boards in your demonstrations.
-

Prometheus
gijsbertjansen
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of gijsbertjansen
OK, gentlemanmindreader

You seem to be the victim of the old problem of prop-definition

If you define props as multicoloured, meaningless, selfworking gadgets then I do understand your question. Please check Corindas thirteen steps
If you think of pen, paper and envelopes just as mere tools for your demonstrations, then no need to ask this question since you are a mentalis already

Now this may be a very blunt and simple reply, there is some truth in it Smile

dr GJ Jansen
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Gijsbertjansen-

Well said. I completely agree.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Jun 15, 2015, Mr. Mindbender wrote:
Well, Jesus needed water to transform it into wine, and needed bread to multiply the loaves, so He was never a big fan of propless either.

Agreed, but to perform his most impressive miracles... curing the lepers and raising Lazarus and the centurions son only required the faith of the prospect.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Jun 15, 2015, TheGentlemanMindReader wrote:
Quote:
Well, Jesus needed water to transform it into wine, and needed bread to multiply the loaves, so He was never a big fan of propless either.

The wine, bread and fish were already laid out for him all he had to do was work his powers, miracle-work, magic, etc.

The salvation army can feed 5000.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On Jun 16, 2015, John C wrote:
Quote:

Agreed, but to perform his most impressive miracles... curing the lepers and raising Lazarus and the centurions son only required the faith of the prospect.

Yes, but he still needed a huge prop for the Grand Finale.
Prometheus
View Profile
Special user
Europe
524 Posts

Profile of Prometheus
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

The prop makes it way less impressive.
-

Prometheus
Mr. Woolery
View Profile
Inner circle
Fairbanks, AK
2149 Posts

Profile of Mr. Woolery
I am feeling mellow, so I will answer the question. First, though, I don't perform on stage. I am strictly hobby level at this time, so take that for what it is worth.

I usually have a deck of cards with me. Most of the time in BCS order. Several good demonstrations there. I like Ian Rowland's p**k for a single card divination. Gemini Twins is a great impromptu bit, but getting only one of the targets right makes it less like a trick in my opinion. And the strongest thing I know with a deck of cards is fortune telling.

For propless one on one stuff it is hard to beat a palm reading or psychometry.

Borrowed paper for a ct or AN based routine makes these practically propless.

Again, I am not on stage. I am sitting with people and having a good time. I have used gimmick decks with good results. I do have a character appropriate reason for cards. But mostly I do casual stuff to keep life interesting. It also means I might never pull anything out because a good conversation can be more interesting to both parties than my impromptu marvels.

Patrick
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On Jun 16, 2015, Prometheus wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

The prop makes it way less impressive.

I don't know. If he just stood there on the ground with his arms stretched out I don't think it would have had the same impact.
Prometheus
View Profile
Special user
Europe
524 Posts

Profile of Prometheus
It's propless or not propless, that is the question. And the answer is, propless is always better, there must be more impact without props, that's why these threads are coming up the whole time.
-

Prometheus
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Quote:
It's propless or not propless, that is the question. And the answer is, propless is always better, there must be more impact without props, that's why these threads are coming up the whole time.

Nah, they keep coming up because people refuse to use the search button. Smile
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:

i disagree with that - sometimes propless is overly long and quite boring... its not performed well by many people...

and some don't understand what makes a prop, a prop...

propless is not always better... I want intrigue, mystery, entertainment, fun, all kinds of things when I watch mentalism...i don't want to hear someone say "if I could guess the name you're thinking of, would you be impressed?"

guess?! GUESS?! good grief...

well structured interesting presentations with or without a "prop" in sight...that's what I want...

has anybody got a link and a list? *cheeky*
I've asked to be banned
Prometheus
View Profile
Special user
Europe
524 Posts

Profile of Prometheus
I just wanted to make fun guys, don't worry!
I like 'propless' effects if they are practical, but still use books, billets, business cards, pads, phones etc.

However, I don't want to change beliefs here, do what you think is right and what works for you. I'm just annoyed that some users here think this is the best, this is better, multiple posts about the best propless effect(s) and pointless discussions about those topics. The most annoying thing is when a anonym guy, new to mentalism is too convinced of his own beliefs trying to tell performers making a living with our art that these are wrong in their claims. Some guys are just immune to feedback.
-

Prometheus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Let's talk about what you use (11 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL