We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Bill In Lemon Recovery (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicmike67
View Profile
New user
New York City, NY
57 Posts

Profile of magicmike67
Ok.

Random question: First, let me preface this by saying that I KNOW this is a one-in-a-million chance, but...

...what do you do if you CAN'T find a bill in the audience?

I'm not worried about the finale...in my show, the bill is borrowed early, burnt and left (with the promise it'll be returned) - I end with the cups and balls and produce the bill out of the lime or lemon that is one of my final loads. So - I'm not concerned with ending the show. I can end with C&B and it's a good enough finale...my question is how would you (or do you) move on in your show once you've realized you can't get the bill? "Alright folks, I need to borrow a bill, US paper currency? Any denomination will do. No? No bills? Nothing?" - WHAT'S THE NEXT LINE? How do you segue out of that making it look like a joke or something?

Any help is appreciated.

Also...I realize this may be confusing, so I apologize for that.

Thanks.
Be well,

Michael
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13415 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Obviously have one available. ask someone who will be in the audience, such as the person that hired you.
if it were me, I'd ask the person who hired me if they had a bill, just in case nobody else did. just 'splain it to them.
if they don't have one, give them one, or a choice of one.

i do this with a different prop all the time, but in my case, I know they would never have it. I just give it to them way before the show starts.

Or just have one of your own available and make an appropriate joke about having to use your own "on a magician's salary" or whatever.
your audience will probably even teach you some good lines, if you're patient.

maybe you can even turn it into a running gag and ask to borrow everything for your act. by the time you need a bill, nobody will care that you're using your own.

there are a billion ways to solve that one. all easy Smile
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
bigfoot
View Profile
Special user
503 Posts

Profile of bigfoot
You are right it is a one in a million chance. The best way is really to have your own, with a bit of work you could have just as many gags and jokes about destrying your own money. If you are a funny kind of person it could be even better. You could find with a bit of thinking you might actually begin hoping there wasn't one.
In fact I would love to see a routine like this become real. Almost everyone uses the tension of the borrowed bill being destroyed to create humor. If you could do so without it that could be something interesting. Of course you would have to think about getting an emotional hook for why they care if your bill is destroyed.
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
923 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
For my paid gigs, I simply explain to the host that I will need to borrow a $100 bill during the show and ask them to have one and loan it if no one else offers one. Works every time.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I'm thinking that many people have bills. It's possible that they don't trust you enough to loan it to you. What is it about your show that leaves them with that feeling? You might find the answer there.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
oso2you
View Profile
Regular user
Oregon
128 Posts

Profile of oso2you
It seems lately that many merchants don't like $100 bills and I would think that not too many people carry them; opting for $20's instead. Maybe I just hang with the poorer crowd Smile
MontrealMagic
View Profile
Regular user
127 Posts

Profile of MontrealMagic
I believe I know the Bill in lemon trick, and I perform Ultragum (yes, very different I know), but they both use bills. If I am correct, the bill is signed, so it should not matter if you give the bill. There is a sleight chance they would think the bill is tainted/gimmicked, so give them options. 1,5,10,20 and/or various currencies. Just a thought...
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6992 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Bill in Lemon has suffered from some exposure lately. YouTube again! So, I won't be doing that for a while. Maybe in a year. Infuriating, but it's today's world! >shrug<

Doug
Magician Shaun
View Profile
Special user
Huntington BCH, CA
923 Posts

Profile of Magician Shaun
Dougini,

I close every single one of my shows with Bill in Lemon. If I am doing a kids show, I perform it as an encore after I conclude the regular birthday party show. I do it in my street shows as the finale, 10-20 times a day when street performing. I never have any problems.

When a spectator tries to say something, about a trick I am doing, to my audience, I COMPLETELY ignore them, DO NOT acknowledge them EVER, continue with your effect as if no one has said anything. Your audience will ignore them with you. I have never had them do anything different. You have to be confident but I promise it works.

I do the Scott Alexander/Bob Kohler Final Cut Bill in Lemon Version.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
6992 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Mine is similar to Michael Ammar's. Good points, Shaun! Thanks! Smile

Doug
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I did the Bill in Lemon at Renaissance Festivals and comedy clubs for more than 30 years. I never had a problem borrowing a bill.

This said, I was prepared to have a bill at the ready should there be a problem.

If you feel uncomfortable about having someone else give you YOUR bill, i.e. audience stooge, here's an idea -- if you can't borrow a bill, produce one from a spectator's ear, just as you would pull a quarter out of a kid's ear.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2502 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Cruise ships are bad for this. No one carries cash, everything's on their key card. Some corporate retreats might be the same way.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
drmagico
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of drmagico
I have been doing Bill in Lemon for years...last week did a show for a small audience and no one had cash...ended up having to use my $100 bill which I has someone sign...was able to get a few laughs out of it...never thought it would happen to me...glad I was prepared....Howard
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved to Seattle to see
1223 Posts

Profile of imgic
Just finished watching Lonnie Chevrie's Penguin Lecture. He does a trick with a volunteer that ends up with the volunteer getting a dollar bill. He then does a routine where he needs a bill and calls the volunteer back up. He explains he does this to avoid awkwardness of asking somebody for a bill.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
migwar
View Profile
Elite user
west yorkshire, UK
457 Posts

Profile of migwar
Maybe be prepared to use a card rather than a bill if its affecting the pace of your show?
MagieFraudster
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of MagieFraudster
I use a card instead of a bill, and a potato instead of a lemon.
bigfoot
View Profile
Special user
503 Posts

Profile of bigfoot
Maybe it could be that the last time they loaned a bill they got it back soaking wet in lemon juice and a corner missing and vowed if they ever saw another magician who wanted to borrow a twenty dollar bill that they would under no circumstance ever loan one out ever again.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Bill In Lemon Recovery (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL