The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » In Transit by Curtis Kam - Which palm to use? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nightcrawler
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Nightcrawler
Hey folks,

I think In Transit is a really interesting routine and currently I am working on it. Even it is no knuckle busting routine, I have some trouble at a certain point. To be specific, I don't know which palm I should use to conceal the coin that travels first. I mean the part, where you wave the "dirty" but straightened/flat hand over the coins.
I use half dollars and have relatively small hands. I could cp the coin, but to go from cp into a coin roll causes too much hand motion, IMHO.
Another solution could be the front finger hold. But with a half dollar my hand looks suspicious. Parts of the 1st and 5th finger are covered too much by the 3rd and 4th fingers.
I came up with the idea to clip the coin between the flesh of my 3rd and 4th finger. Unfortunately the angles are not the best with this method.

Does anybody have similar problems? Does any possible solution come to your mind?
Which palm do you use?

Thanks in advance!

Nightcrawler
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1680 Posts

Profile of mystre71
Quote:
On Jun 17, 2015, Nightcrawler wrote:
Hey folks,

I think In Transit is a really interesting routine and currently I am working on it. Even it is no knuckle busting routine, I have some trouble at a certain point. To be specific, I don't know which palm I should use to conceal the coin that travels first. I mean the part, where you wave the "dirty" but straightened/flat hand over the coins.
I use half dollars and have relatively small hands. I could cp the coin, but to go from cp into a coin roll causes too much hand motion, IMHO.
Another solution could be the front finger hold. But with a half dollar my hand looks suspicious. Parts of the 1st and 5th finger are covered too much by the 3rd and 4th fingers.
I came up with the idea to clip the coin between the flesh of my 3rd and 4th finger. Unfortunately the angles are not the best with this method.

Does anybody have similar problems? Does any possible solution come to your mind?
Which palm do you use?

Thanks in advance!

Nightcrawler

A T.P. could work here, or Mutobe but you have the angles to worry about. Have you thought about maybe eliminating the wave all together and going with the time honored toss up (wrist jerk) following with your eyes and catching in the other hand,ending with a coin roll ?

Hope this helps
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2956 Posts

Profile of fonda57
What does Curtis Kam suggest?
I j
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5340 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
Mutobe possibly? (I have the video but haven't had time to watch it yet!)

Jim
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
771 Posts

Profile of Christopher Moro
I believe Curtis suggests the Purse Palm, which is similar to what Nightcrawler is working on, but... I've found the size of the coin in relation to the width of your fingers is crucial for this to work. And if you have windows, that could be another issue. I just use CP, then at the moment of magic, do a catching motion with my hand, which enables me to use the thumb to move the coin up into a coin roll.

I believe the concept of this effect is that the coin invisibly travels a short distance to begin with (the second coin will travel further and into the spectator's hand), so the method can be changed to something you can do. If its consistent with the concept and looks like magic, you should be good.
mystre71
View Profile
Inner circle
martinsburg west virginia
1680 Posts

Profile of mystre71
One thing with PP. if you take a step back,and keep your hand parallel to the floor during the wave,even if you have large windows, the coin won't be seen. That is provided you've stepped back far enough no one can see straight down on your hand.
Walk around coin box work check it out here https://www.magicalmystries.com/products
Nightcrawler
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Nightcrawler
Thank you for your answers!

Curtis Kam says, the palm you should use depends on the size of the coins. His suggestion for half dollar sized coins was to use PP!
In my opinion Mutobe Palm would be an alternative, but I am a bit afraid of the angles. If the spectator stands directly in front of you (and looks down to your hands), it is difficult to conceal the coin in MP.

@mystre71, Christopher: Your suggestion really is an option I do consider. What I like about "In Transit" is producing the coin from the waving flat hand. I think this partially makes a difference to all the other coins across effects out there.

Other possible solutions are welcome, of course ;-)
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4314 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
You could easily put a thumb clip for the waving flat hand move.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Hi, I suggest Purse Palm, a.k.a. Morritt Grip, as taught in the New Modern Coin Magic, and I believe, in Modern coin magic, as well. It's also the palm used in Vernon's "Spellbound" from Stars of Magic. Do not confuse this with Front Finger Hold. (also shown in Bobo's MCM)

Purse palm works well for most sizes of hands, when using half dollar sized coins. Even those who have windows with a half in position will be able to do the first effect in In Transit, since the hand is held mostly edge on to the audience. Have a look at your hand in the mirror to confirm.

If the coin is way too big for that to work, you might try substituting the thumb for the index finger, and the middle finger instead of the third. That way the coin spans the index finger, and has more room. I do that for dollars when my hands are really dry, and there's a chance they might slip out of purse palm.

Also, you might not realize it, but coins in purse palm don't have to be held straight across the widest diameter. The coin will still stay in position if you move it up or down along your fingers, making your grip go across a narrower part of the coin. you might give that a try.

I am trying to comply with the rules against exposure here, but I think the above should be clear enough if you care, and impenetrably boring if you don't. You, and indeed, magic itself, are all welcome.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
771 Posts

Profile of Christopher Moro
That's a great tip. The finger substitution works well for me with a half. Thanks, Curtis!

And I hear ya - it were up to me, most stuff would be down in Secret Sessions, LOL. But I don't think this belongs there.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » In Transit by Curtis Kam - Which palm to use? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL