The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Anyone still uses Super X? (14 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24023 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I was wondering if anyone is still using Super X. I no longer have mine. I used my friend's yesterday when I took my granddaughter to the zoo. Anyone thinks it needs to be brought back?

I feel uncomfortable bring it into a house. I think it is good for stages and promos only.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3643 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
I never used Super X .

Those are some GREAT photos Mike.

-Mary Mowder
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24023 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Thanks.

They would look better if you were the one floating.
snowpuppy
View Profile
Veteran user
Juneau,Alaska
314 Posts

Profile of snowpuppy
I still use my Walk-Away super -x .
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3057 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
You are uncomfortable with it because you think of it as a "Super X." When you set up your show, it is just a table in the background... a board resting on the tops of two chairs. The chair seats point out, not in and so you can set props on the chair seats, as well as on the board that rests on top of them. When ready to transform it into a magic prop called the "Super X", lift up the board and spin it all around as you stand between the two chairs. Spin the chairs around, and then move them out to the ends of the board (your board is too long - I suggest you cut it down). Put the board across the backs of the two chairs and then step out in front to greet the floatee. Perform it just as if you were performing the folding chair levitation, except you can remove both chairs. For more hints and tips, see Spellbinder's book on "X-orcism … or Expelling Demons of the Super-X Suspension" in his Mini-Mysteries series Book 3.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24023 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On Jun 18, 2015, snowpuppy wrote:
I still use my Walk-Away super -x .

I do not remember that one. Who manufactures it? Any online photos? Can it be performed in a basement?
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24023 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On Jun 18, 2015, jimgerrish wrote:
You are uncomfortable with it because you think of it as a "Super X." When you set up your show, it is just a table in the background... a board resting on the tops of two chairs. The chair seats point out, not in and so you can set props on the chair seats, as well as on the board that rests on top of them. When ready to transform it into a magic prop called the "Super X", lift up the board and spin it all around as you stand between the two chairs. Spin the chairs around, and then move them out to the ends of the board (your board is too long - I suggest you cut it down). Put the board across the backs of the two chairs and then step out in front to greet the floatee. Perform it just as if you were performing the folding chair levitation, except you can remove both chairs. For more hints and tips, see Spellbinder's book on "X-orcism … or Expelling Demons of the Super-X Suspension" in his Mini-Mysteries series Book 3.

I am not following the routine you are explaining. Have any photos?
What is the link to his book?
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24023 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Dr. Delusion
View Profile
Special user
Eugene, Oregon.
724 Posts

Profile of Dr. Delusion
I have one. Never use it for Birthdays or small shows, but for the bigger shows I love to use it. It's a lot of fun and gets a great response.
Bob.
Daniel Ulzen
View Profile
Veteran user
Berlin/Germany
384 Posts

Profile of Daniel Ulzen
I like the idea to hide the base in the sand in a play ground or at the beach side.

David Ginn published such a photo in the bok "Promoting Me and You" a long time ago.
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3057 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Spellbinder included one method for concealing the base that works in a stage show, but he has several others for "impromptu" use that seem more natural in a party/parlor setting. I'll suggest he put them in an addendum and send it out to all prior purchasers.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
As we discussed, Mike, I have one that I used exclusively for PR photos, nothing more. I used it in performance one summer at my resorts shows, but quickly switched to a Blaney model (much more cumbersome, awkward and heavy, but far better angles and has several good selling points).
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3602 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Mine is out in the garage. It's an original Abbotts with the day-glo girls. I have never used it for anything but photo shoots, and would never even consider taking it to someone's house. I may use it in one of my future stage gigs, but I hate to take it apart and re-assemble it.

Jim
jclightman
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of jclightman
Dynamike, first of all…those are great promo shots! I'm not sure I'd try it in the living room/birthday show, but if you do with some success, let us know!
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2360 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
I used , The old flying carpet illusion for years innhomes , doing birthday party shows and it worked very well. So I thought to upgrade to the larger super X . I think I got it from Mak. Needless to say, as everyone has agreed. It does not work.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24023 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I like the levitation (really suspension) Paul Osborne describes in his new book, "Kidtrix 3." The effect is called "The Sorcerer's Apprentice." It shows how to make a kid float while standing up. You will have to put one together by Paul's plans. It can be made a lot smaller than the Super X and the Flying Carpet. I feel it can be customized to be presented inside of a house.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1486 Posts

Profile of David Todd
One thing I've never liked about the Abbott version is the two flat wooden panels with the "temple maidens" (or whatever they are) painted on the panels ... Those panels simply do not look like they would support the board with a person laying on the board . (see attached photo )

Looks fantastic in the old catalog illustration , but not so much in real life.

Replace the flat panels with chairs or sawhorses and it looks more credible.

Sort of like in this version, performed by John Kingry : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riPSF-OqX1o

Notice the inverted V-shape supports he uses for the board will also "fold flat" for packing (like the original Abbott "temple maiden" flat panels) , but in this case they do look like they could feasibly support the board and the girl . I still think if I were going to do it I'd use chairs or real sawhorses.

(Seeing John Kingry use a sword to pass over and around the floating lady reminds me of an idea that Blair Marshall had published in the June 1977 issue of Genii magazine (page 355) , which eliminates the need for the drape at the start . At the start their is a wide-bladed sword standing vertically in a holder at the rear of the platform . After removing the supports the magician steps behind the floating woman , simultaneously picking up the sword and waving it over and under her . )

U.F. Grant (originator of Super-X) had a similar idea of having a large "altar candle" at the rear of the board to give the performer freedom of movement. Taking off from Grant's idea I would give the illusion a sort of "Tiki" theme , so the candle is a large Tiki torch , and the supports for the board (surfboard ?) would be Tiki heads. The floor area/platform is covered in a grass mat and/or palm fronds. The torch need not be a real torch if fire regulations do not permit an open flame on stage. The "flame" on the torch can be a standard stage effect to produce the look of a flame .

Grant's idea:

A quick mock-up of the Tiki theme -

Click here to view attached image.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1486 Posts

Profile of David Todd
To clarify, in the theming idea for Super-X that I posted above the two Tiki supports under the board would be 3-dimensional supports , not flat panels.
(something like this: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236......12fd.jpg . Probably modeled with fiberglass or some other light-weight , but tough material , so they appear to be heavy , but are light-weight enough to transport )

------

By the way, Blair Marshall's handling with the sword (originally published in Genii , June 1977) that I mentioned previously was also described by Blair in a post on the Magic Café:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&forum=7

(scroll down to the fourth post)

Sam Sandler
View Profile
Inner circle
2480 Posts

Profile of Sam Sandler
I have never liked any of the "cheap" floating devices. magic carpet, super X, even the chair suspension. owned them all but got rid of them due to the fact that they are not really practical or fooling any one.

now a zany blanny ladder suspension that would be fun. but spending $12,000 for one illusion maybe not.

as mentioned before I think these other suspensions are great for publicity shots but beyond that I don't ever see them being in my show ever again.

just my thoughts

sam
sam sandler- America's only full-time DEAF Illusionist
http://www.samsandler.com
http://www.deafinitelymagic.com
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I had lots of them. The cheaper Blaney suspension -- I think it was called 3001 -- was not bad but pretty much limited to a deep stage, and it was a lot of work to set up and strike. I once wrestled with the idea of having Steinmeyer's "Balloon" suspension, as it has a lot of good points but I never have known anyone who actually has/used it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Anyone still uses Super X? (14 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL