The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Books in UK! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

big dan
View Profile
Regular user
UK/Canada/New Zealand
178 Posts

Profile of big dan
I am an English user and all too often when I am browsing through the forum's I read of highly recommended books and think I'll have to get that, only to find my local shop hasn't got it.

Can anyone suggest any dealers in the UK who have a large collection of books, and if so are they online or mail order etc. ??

Many Thanks

big dan

ps. I hope I haven't put this thread in the wrong forum, wasn't sure where to put it!
Some people work to ski....i ski to work!
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
KB books (Keith Bennet) has fantastic prices in the uk and he's a nice bloke

http://www.kbmagic.co.uk/booklist.htm

After scouring the internerd I always check his prices first, and call him he's cool

The other thing to bear in mind is that the pound is so strong against the dollar at the moment even including postage it's worth buying stuff from the US if it's sufficiently expensive enough in the first place
mike stevenson
View Profile
Loyal user
276 Posts

Profile of mike stevenson
Magic Books by Post (magicbooksbypost.org) have a HUGE stock list. They can get you just about anything in print (and sometimes out of print as well!).

Regards
pxs
View Profile
Loyal user
London
284 Posts

Profile of pxs
Try the following site which searches a number of different UK magic sites: http://www.bargainmagic.co.uk/
Fingers_Fidge
View Profile
Regular user
England
123 Posts

Profile of Fingers_Fidge
Hi big dan

I agree with bevbevvybev, keith bennett is the main man for all your book needs, how he sells what he does and includes P&P I don't know. Magic books by post are also good for those hard to get publications but they are not the most user friendly of companies to get info out of.
Don't know where you live but the Blackpool Magic Convention starts on Friday and there will be over 100 sellers from all over the world including those mentioned above.

Cheers
big dan
View Profile
Regular user
UK/Canada/New Zealand
178 Posts

Profile of big dan
Hey fingers_fidge,

thanx for the info, and by the way I live in Brighton and Essex.

I am tempted to make the trip up to Blackpool but my wallet is too scared to go! -:)

Laters
Mr_Nutkins
View Profile
New user
59 Posts

Profile of Mr_Nutkins
Buy from the States!!
With the current pound to dollar ratio and the higher prices of UK dealers you could save quite a bit.
I recently bought £75 worth of goods from the US including shipping and the equivalant cost buying from the UK would have been £115 !! You do the math !!
Tel
Dr_Gonzo
View Profile
New user
Brighton
22 Posts

Profile of Dr_Gonzo
Watch out for random customs charges when buying from the states though. Any package worth over £18 may get hit with an additional charge (over four quid of which is the post offices handling fee, of course), and it's pretty impossible to predict what's going to get got.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
International Magic Studio
Davenports
Repo
Taurus Magic Supply
Dave Le Fevre
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1666 Posts

Profile of Dave Le Fevre
Magic Books by Post (see Mike Stevenson's earlier post) are the people for magic books in the UK.

Great stock, excellent service, fair prices.

Dave
The Ozzy Osbourne of the 34x27
Beetroot
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of Beetroot
Ditto Keith Bennet and Magic Books By Post.

Ordered from Keith Bennet - very helpful when I was starting out. He gave EXCELLENT recommendations.

Magic Books By Post. Not ordered from them but have bought from them at a convention.

I think there may be a convention coming up in Southampton. Rumours were 7th of March last I heard. Cheaper than a trip to Blackpool?
big dan
View Profile
Regular user
UK/Canada/New Zealand
178 Posts

Profile of big dan
Hey Beetroot, thanks for the info, yeah if there is anything going on in Southampton I'll definitely try and make it. I'll look into it!!

laters
owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
Magic Books By Post probably have the most extensive selection, but I personally buy mainly from International Magic. Their site doesn't list even half their stock, so email them.
I have found buying books in England to be very expensive and now mainly buy from abroad.
Owen
Iain Moran
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
693 Posts

Profile of Iain Moran
Magic Books By Post certainly have a VERY extensive selection. However, you can't contact them by phone, nor can you visit them. I always like to check with a dealer if they have a particular item in stock. Though if MBBP don't have an item available, you have to wait for a week to receive a reply by regular mail which can be very anoying. I used to buy lots of books from them when they used to attend conventions, but as far as mail order I would recommend Keith Bennett.

Iain.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Though if MBBP don't have an item available, you have to wait for a week to receive a reply by regular mail which can be very anoying.

Hi,
I always place my orders with them via phone and always get the book or out of stock notice the next day or very rearly the following day.
Phillip
Bananafish
View Profile
Elite user
Simon Shaw, Suffolk, England
415 Posts

Profile of Bananafish
You know you could do worse than visit Amazon UK, as I have noticed recently that aart from everything else they are selling the "Dover Publication" bookes at extremely cheap prices.

They are all less than £10 (with the exception of the wonderful Edward Sachs book), and the majority are actually less than £5!

I find this incredible. There are some really fantastic books in their catalogue, and at prices considerably less than your average package trick. In fact there isn’t much in Magic that you could buy that is less than one of these books. Maybe a TT or a sponge ball, but not much else.

I have compiled a list of SOME of the "DP" books and the prices as sold on Amazon UK, however Amazon also offer many of them second hand at even CHEAPER prices, or do some good buy one and get another at half price deals

Bobo’s Modern Coin Magic by J.B. Bobo. £6.96
The Encyclopedia of Card Tricks by Jean Hugard £6.18
Royal Road To Card magic by Jean Hugard £6.18
Expert Card Technique by Jean Hugard and Frederick Braue £6.17
Magic and Showmanship by Henning Nelms £5.69
The Expert at the Card Table by S.W. Erdnase £4.73
Card Manipulations by Jean Hugard £6.36 More Card Manipulation by Jean Hugard £7.16
The Art of Magic by T. Nelson Downs £6.17
Classic Coin Tricks by T. Nelson Downs £4.74 Self Working Mental Magic by Karl Fulves. £4.76
Self Working Table Magic by Karl Fulves £5.96
Self Working Coin Magic by Karl Fulves £3.68
Self Working Paper Magic by Karl Fulves £3.68
Self Working Card Tricks by Karl Fulves £4.76
Self Working Number Magic by Karl Fulves £3.68
Self Working Rope Magic by Karl Fulves £3.68
Self Working Handkerchief Magic by Karl Fulves £4.20 Self Working Close Up Card Magic by Karl Fulves £3.68
More Self Working Cards by Karl Fulves £5.56
My Best Self Working Cards by Karl Fulves £3.68
Mathematics, Magic and Mystery by Martin Gardiner £4.20
Magicians Magic by Paul Curry £6.17
Magic, a Picture History by Milbourne Christopher £7.12
Martin Gardner’s Table Magic by Martin Gardner £4.20
Charles Jordan’s Best Card Tricks by Karl Fulves (Ed) £4.74
Scarne on Card Tricks by John Scarne £7.67
Scarne’s Magic Tricks by John Scarne £6.97
Houdini on Magic by Harry Houdini £4.74
The Secrets of Houdini by John Clucas Clannel £4.74
Easy To Do Magic Tricks for Children by Karl Fulves
Professional Magic for Amateurs by Walter B. Gibson £4.20
The New Magicians Manual by Walter B. Gibson £5.79
Abbott's Encyclopaedia of Rope Tricks by Stewart James £6.17
Sleight of Hand: Practical Manual of Leg...... Others by Edwin Sachs £12.95
Mullohand’s Book of Magic by Mullohand £4.74
Hugard’s Magic Manual by Jean Hugard £6.17
Card Control by Arthur H. Buckley
Hoffman’s Modern Magic by Professor Hoffman
helder
View Profile
Inner circle
Portugal
1065 Posts

Profile of helder
Does anyone know how is currently there service?
My version of Eddie fetcher "Be Honest What's it?" it's available at Penguin Magic
Check my Facebook group: Mentalism Secrets
Email: heldermagico@gmail.com
www.facebook.com/heldermagico
Caliban
View Profile
Special user
727 Posts

Profile of Caliban
Quote:
On 2011-09-28 07:48, helder wrote:
Does anyone know how is currently there service?

A lot has changed since 2004.

Magic Books by Post have a new owner and are easier to contact by email and phone. There is a contact page on their website http://www.magicbooksbypost.co.uk/ with details.

Keith Bennett no longer sells books. He now deals exclusively in supplies for the coin magician, especially Tango products. His website is http://kbmagic.com/
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Books in UK! (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL