The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Seance Contest - Be Creative, Win Prizes (104 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2015, MatCult wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 20, 2015, BeachBum wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 23, 2015, Nyama Possessor wrote:
I'll be submitting a very unique and interesting routine called "Summoning Rumi", wherein contact is made with a great historical spiritual figure to answer some of life's deepest and most philosophical questions, which ultimately results in several unexpected and visually haunting surprise climaxes... Sitters are sure to remember this memorable and emotionally-moving, multi-dimensional phenomenon!! Tried, tested and true!!

I look forward to seeing this!

I don't think that's what he submitted in the end. You should have your PDF by now if you submitted a piece. Please let me know if you think I've missed you.

Best wishes,

Oh, I see BeachBum - you're not a contributor, just someone posting randomly in a bid to reach 50 posts in a day...
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
BeachCat
View Profile
New user
Vegas Baby!
52 Posts

Profile of BeachCat
Actually Matt, that's not true and quite assumptive on your part. I've been going to the Magic Castle for 40 (ahem) plus years, come from a magical family and have been active in the magic community but lack practical experience. I'm poking around the forum in topics that interest me and by putting in a post, it bookmarks topics that I want to go back and visit. I'm working through my own creative process here and reaching out to meet other magicians where I appreciate what they are contributing.

Posted: Jul 20, 2015 11:36 am
Nyama,

I just read your response. Sorry, I was a bit distracted at Mat's response to me that this is a race to post. So, back to your effect. The concept sounds great and being someone who loves the poetry and messages of Rumi, I'm very interested in the release when you feel it's right. Please be sure and keep me posted!
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
Quote:
Actually Matt, that's not true and quite assumptive on your part. I've been going to the Magic Castle for 40 (ahem) plus years, come from a magical family and have been active in the magic community but lack practical experience. I'm poking around the forum in topics that interest me and by putting in a post, it bookmarks topics that I want to go back and visit. I'm working through my own creative process here and reaching out to meet other magicians where I appreciate what they are contributing.

Sorry, you've misunderstood. I meant, you're not a contributor to the book project that is the subject of this thread.
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business."
Nyama Possessor
View Profile
Veteran user
Under the Shade Tree
322 Posts

Profile of Nyama Possessor
Quote:

Nyama,

I just read your response. Sorry, I was a bit distracted at Mat's response to me that this is a race to post. So, back to your effect. The concept sounds great and being someone who loves the poetry and messages of Rumi, I'm very interested in the release when you feel it's right. Please be sure and keep me posted!

BeachBum,

No worries... Thank you for your sincere interest in my effect, "Summoning Rumi". I am always interested in broadening Bizarre Magik (when and where I can) outside of the stereotypical and limited box that it often finds itself trapped and stagnated within. "Summoning Rumi" is one such attempt. Bizarrists such as Master Baba Gede Nibo, The Curator, Balaram, Eugene Burger, Jeff McBride, Robert E. Neale, Bill Ligon, RedGrave and the late DeNomolos are just a few who have also strove to bring Bizarre Magik beyond the ethnocentric confines of "western" occultism... I highly recommend checking out Stephen Minch's pointed critique of Bizarre Magik, called "A Vivisection of the Bizarre" found in his The Book of Forgotten Secrets. And yes, I will most definitely keep you posted.

Advancing the work,
~ Nyama ~
The Honorable NYAMA POSSESSOR

Co-Founder & Co-Creator of MAGICAL REALISM, Owner of ANCESTRAL REALM PRODUCTIONS

* 17 Year Member of the Shadow Network * ICBM Alumnus *

Creator/Author of SUMMONING RUMI and numerous other underground proprietary releases...
Books, routines and tools coming soon, available only and exclusively at www.AlchemyMoon.com
Perkins
View Profile
Special user
897 Posts

Profile of Perkins
I've been crawling my way through this collection in little doses. I know that if I slam my way through it, I'll miss some things, so I've been sort of treating it like Daily Bread: Seance.

Many inspired moments along the way and three times now (THREE!) I have read a contribution, 'turned the book off', and scrambled back to my own scripts, looking for ways to transfuse some ideas.

Best book I never paid for... and treats on the way! Who does that? Right. Nobody.

Thanks to all contributors, but particularly to MC MatCult.

It is a Collective PDF. Take it for all in all.
We shall not look upon it's like again.

Perks
Nyama Possessor
View Profile
Veteran user
Under the Shade Tree
322 Posts

Profile of Nyama Possessor
^ ^ ^ True indeed, I's agree! ^ ^ ^
The Honorable NYAMA POSSESSOR

Co-Founder & Co-Creator of MAGICAL REALISM, Owner of ANCESTRAL REALM PRODUCTIONS

* 17 Year Member of the Shadow Network * ICBM Alumnus *

Creator/Author of SUMMONING RUMI and numerous other underground proprietary releases...
Books, routines and tools coming soon, available only and exclusively at www.AlchemyMoon.com
fredr500
View Profile
Loyal user
Cary, NC
283 Posts

Profile of fredr500
Paging Dr. O.

I love your submission and would like to ask you a question. Would you please PM me?
--------------------------------
Check out Funeral Sampler and over 200 reviews http://rosemagic.com
Author of The Sweet Psychic, http://thesweetpsychic.com
ECSS I, II, III IV, and V alumnus
PEA Member, IBM and SAM Life Member
Mad0hatter
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of Mad0hatter
Quote:
On Jul 19, 2015, Lucien Astor wrote:
Wow. I have just given the manuscript the briefest perusal. So much great material. In other areas of the Café, this would have been an expensive, limited manuscript. Thanks Mat, this is the best magic book I've had in a long time.
It is a rather expensive and limited manuscript as the cost is that you must give of yourself and only those generous enough to do so get a copy.
CHRousseau
View Profile
Regular user
Registered Lurker from Lakewood WA
111 Posts

Profile of CHRousseau
With great regret I missed posting to this contest by the deadline but as a little mea culpa I wanted to offer anyone interested a link to my dropbox which brings up a one page .pdf called Face of Terror Paper Pattern. It is a web image from a scary movie fan page which I put in PhotoShop and adjusted the brightness and contrast until it was almost just a two-color image which I made pure black and white.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0fs86ecadbcyqu......pdf?dl=0

If you print this to your preferred size on a piece of paper (I used coffee-soaked and pre-wrinkled 'parchment' grade bond resume paper but I have gotten equally good results from a brown paper bag) and trim away the black with small bladed scissors--I suggest embroidery or other very small sewing scissors like you find in the $1 emergency sewing kits for travelers--you can have an image like the following manifest itself on a spirit slate or other dark background as something a little more unexpected than the usual chalk scribble.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cf0afa2rjolvyx......jpg?dl=0

This image is meant to be similar to those optical puzzles which ask if you can see the face of Jesus, a Guernsey cow, the spotted dog walking in the shadows of a sunny sidewalk in what at first glance appears to be just random lumpy shapes of black and white. And the farther you are away, the more quickly the face is usually recognized from the torn scraps of paper which is why I started putting some sort of message on the paper--if you ask those seated on either side of you at a table to try to reconstruct the text (and you don't want to place it so neatly that every word is clearly readable despite the many gaps in the paper fragments!) they focus on that and usually miss the facial features while someone across the table who cannot read the writing will usually gasp and point at the face.

The link below is a close-up of the face with text--you will notice that I did not separate the pieces of the right eye on the left side of the slate the way I usually would for a performance but it is hot here and we have a fan on high and I did not want to chase those little separate scraps around the kitchen when I took the picture. If you don't think you can cut that closely, you can use a small pen soldering iron to scorch away the unwanted black areas or simulate a burned edge with a lighter brown marking pen. Just a little moisture-lick your thumb--on the back of the pieces usually anchors them for a certain amount of time--too much moisture gives you a blurry message if you printed it on an inkjet printer but it also can look a little bloodier when printed in red. You can reveal the image from behind a traditional spirit slate or use the 'apparently show all sides' techniques such as those in Bob Cassidy's recent Penguin lecture, Peter Pitt's slate monograph, Tarbell's section on slates, or two of Al Baker's books.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yaif5voyg0urk9......jpg?dl=0

If any of you experience trouble trying to replicate this process, PM me and if any of you make use of this style of 'reveal' which I have had a lot more fun with than the usual chalk, I would love to see examples of what you have come up with.

Warm regards from the NW,

Charlie
Lakewood WA
Arthur C Clarke was mistaken--Magic has always been the most advanced form of technology.
Seth speaks
View Profile
Inner circle
New Mexico
1307 Posts

Profile of Seth speaks
Finally able to really start delving into this, and I am just knocked over by the depth and scope of the contributions! So many perspectives about seances--fiction, poetry, scripted routines, DIY devices, reprints of old valuable resources, specific spirit effects--wow, I'm loving this project! One of the contributions is apparently a routine that is selling at another site for over $200--you just need to come up with the props! I've already found several easily usable things, and I'm not even halfway through yet. This is just splendid, and makes me regret not having been involved in previous contests, but if this is the last one (er--I'm skeptical about that, but maybe for awhile at least) then I'm grateful to be a part of it! Kudos to everyone involved!! And a BIG Thank You to Matt!!
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
I'm really thrilled that you guys are enjoying the collection - it was a joy to put it together and the wealth of material is great.

Some of the rewards should start landing on doormats this week I hope - depending on where in the world you live...
fredr500
View Profile
Loyal user
Cary, NC
283 Posts

Profile of fredr500
I sat down this weekend to send thank you emails to the contributors (I know what's it's like to write something and not receive any feedback) and realized there is no contact information for anyone.

I would just say a blanket Thank You to all contributors here but it's not the same.

But since it's the best I can do today

THANK YOU everyone, this was my first 'contest' (and apparently the last) and I am completely blown away at the contents.
Nestor D
View Profile
Special user
France (Paris)
789 Posts

Profile of Nestor D
A great collection, I am still digging the content of the pdf Smile

I (France) received the rewards this wednesday : a wallet, the ouija cards (they look great Smile ) and two mini planchets (they are great, I have no idea what I will use these for but I will find something...).

I submited a small wallet-contained routine for the pdf but now, with Matcult's routine, I have enough matter for a full close-up séance Smile
aheads
View Profile
Regular user
Stockholm, Sweden
187 Posts

Profile of aheads
I'm really enjoying it too. I've read it all once (just for the immediate gratification) and now it's time to go back to the start and relish it. Thank you to all who contributed and I can only echo everyone else's sentiments - well done MatCult.
All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream
Brynmore14
View Profile
Inner circle
The Séance Chamber
1812 Posts

Profile of Brynmore14
Likewise, I am really enjoying all the contributions. Thank you to everyone who contributed, and to Mat for making this happen.
MatCult
View Profile
Inner circle
1518 Posts

Profile of MatCult
A few people have got in touch in the past week to say the wallet cards have finally landed on their doormat. I'm so relieved and happy to hear this news! I hope you all enjoy these exclusive cards. Where the hecking blimey they've been all this time is a bit of a mystery - they were posted in July. Perhaps they ended up on the wrong side of the Styx...?
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4381 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
I received my cards not too long ago. I'm used to British Post taking a long time. However, by the time I had gotten these, I had totally forgotten what they were for. Thanks for reminding me. ;-)
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
David Eichler
View Profile
Grammar Host
Durham, ME
1726 Posts

Profile of David Eichler
Mine just showed up in the center of the United States a couple of days ago. What a wonderful surprise! They are beautifully made and I am very eager to try them out. Thanks, again, Mat!
David
fredr500
View Profile
Loyal user
Cary, NC
283 Posts

Profile of fredr500
I still have not received mine (NC) . To be honest I had forgotten all about them.
giro doro
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of giro doro
I was out of the (online) game for quite a while, what indeed was realy good for me, but it ruined my day to recognize to have missed this..
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Seance Contest - Be Creative, Win Prizes (104 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.31 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL