The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How many of you watch scary movies with your wife or significant other? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1488 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
This has a scare but it's not scary. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1e7GoDayMw

doesn't halloween just teach fear to kids who then grow up to be scared adults?
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3999 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
My wife doesn't like scary films. Personally, I see no place for the "mad slasher" genre, but I do like those movies where the terror is more imagined than real.

That being said, I watched "The Ring" one time, then hid the DVD away so I would never watch it again...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Clinton, I agree with the fact that modern "slasher" films are not scary. Sadly, that's what passes for "scary" these days. It's just shock tactics.. So I don't go to see many of the newer horror films.

But give me the old psychological suspense thrillers of the 50's, 60's and 70's, and I'll take a front seat!
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2917 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
Quote:
On Jun 23, 2015, ClintonMagus wrote:
My wife doesn't like scary films. Personally, I see no place for the "mad slasher" genre, but I do like those movies where the terror is more imagined than real.

I'm with you on that. Slasher films aren't my idea of horror. Besides, "you've seen one, you've seen 'em all."
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
5483 Posts

Profile of RNK
Anyone have thoughts on the SAW movies? I find the whole premise of "you caused pain/suffering and do not understand how it affected the person and their loved ones so now you will experience it" an interesting plot.

RNK
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3010 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Quote:
On Jun 26, 2015, RNK wrote:
Anyone have thoughts on the SAW movies? I find the whole premise of "you caused pain/suffering and do not understand how it affected the person and their loved ones so now you will experience it" an interesting plot.

RNK

That was kind of the point of Vincent Price's "Abominable Dr. Phibes" movies, too. Used to love watching those late at night as a kid.

Price was a treasure, but now it's difficult to watch him without thinking of Bill Hader.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3010 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Quote:
On Jun 20, 2015, Theodore Lawton wrote:
My wife professes to hate all movies. She sits there and says they are stupid and asks why the kids and I like them if none of it ever happened. Then she falls asleep. I think she has enjoyed the occasional, odd, factual film.

I'm guessing she's not big on novels then, either?
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Quote:
On Jun 22, 2015, arthur stead wrote:
Steve, do you own Carnival of Souls?

Yes, we have it on a collection DVD.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1823 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Another of my favorites is The Legend Of Hell House. And The Entity.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
895 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
My wife doesn't really do horror movies. I may or may not, depending on content- campy horror like Army of Darkness? I'm all over that. Gorn like the Saw series? Not so much.

She will happily go to action films with me, though, and doesn't drag me to rom coms or chick flicks Smile
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1064 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
The whole family snuggled up and watched 3 seasons of American Horror Story. Does that count?
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1265 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
Our first movie date was "My Bloody Valentine."
We both love horror. My wife usually surprises me and finds some really good, off the wall, Japanese horror flick to watch.

And for the record, we met at a bizarre magick convention - The ICBM Gathering in CT. - http://www.icbmmagick.com/

We paired up for the fire breathing/eating portion of Todd Robbins' Sideshow Workshop.

We got married at the Oakwood Crematory Chapel in Troy, NY on Halloween 2010.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2758 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jun 19, 2015, Chessmann wrote:
My wife doesn't do scary movies.

I will relate one of my most "fun" experiences I had watching a scary movie with a girl, though Smile

It was while I was in college, and I took my gf to see "Dawn of the Dead" (1978). It was playing the mid-nite movie showings and had done so for years at this theater after its original release. When it came time for the heroes to discuss why things were the way they were, Peter said, "When there's no more room in Hell, the dead will walk the earth."

That line so affected my date that she dropped her head onto my shoulder Smile

My wife loves scary movies. We saw ''Dawn of the Dead'' opening night in New York City. At the end of the film, there was a scream from the back of the theater. I said to my wife; ''Somebody must have goosed their girlfriend.'' No, when we got to the exit we discovered the ushers had done themselves up as zombies and were waiting for all of us.

She used to take people to see ''Jaws'' so she could watch their expression when the body popped up in the sunken boat. She and I would sit in the back and watch everyone jump back at the point.

She giggled at the reaction of some tough Navy guys at the climax to Jeff Goldblum's ''The Fly.''

We have a good time with horror movies. Smile
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2917 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
A long time ago, I was visiting my cousins in LA, and one of them, a girl about my age, invited me to a three-movie showing with a couple of her girl friends. It was Night of the Living Dead, Count Yorga, Vampire, and something else about a girls' boarding school. One of them was holding a big tub of popcorn and passing it around -- until the first jump scare in Night, when the tub flew up in the air and half-emptied itself on us. At which point I said, gimme that tub, and I was the official popcorn wrangler the rest of the time.

It was also when I thought, gee, wouldn't this be a great time to get a bucket of KFC chicken and sit here munching it...
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4158 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
One of my favorite 'scary' movies was the 1963 "Pit and the Pendulum" with Vincent Price. Scary good...and watch ALL the way to the end!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
terryisaacs
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of terryisaacs
I used to really enjoy scary movies although some people might not find them scary. I used to love Stephen King's "It" and the John Cusack movie "1408". My wife never really enjoyed movies like that even though she would watch them with me. So, we don't watch them anymore. My taste has changed now and I really don't care for them either now.
"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How many of you watch scary movies with your wife or significant other? (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL