The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » CHANGE over @ Ellusionist (276 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15..19..22..25..28..31..33~34~35 [Next]
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Quote:
On Jul 3, 2015, scott0819 wrote:

If there is some doubt circling about the practicality of these effects, now's the time to release those live performance videos.

Agreed - I love the way the video looks, but I am worried about angles and such just like the others, so I am waiting for a real world demo and/or real world testimonials from someone other than the creator/seller
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Robmonster
View Profile
Elite user
455 Posts

Profile of Robmonster
Wouldn't it have been great to ahve those real life videos before the clamour to buy over 1000 copies of this. For us, not for them, obviously.
simon hughes
View Profile
Veteran user
London
326 Posts

Profile of simon hughes
Surely you all know how it works by now? It can't be performed for more than one person standing stationary.
magic_tony
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of magic_tony
If you think about it, dealers will produce promo videos designed to best sell the effect. So, if they release a single angle, direct to camera demo, with no live performances, you can generally assume the trick looks best that way, or even that lay people don't find it that impressive. Let's face it, a lot of hyped-up trick are more exciting for magicians than for audiences (not that there's anything wrong with that, since nobody loves magic trick more than us magicians).

Ellusionist are clever in that by doing this pre-order malarky (which they seem to be very good at), everyone had bought it without even seeing the trick or reading any reviews. Result: circa 2000 units sold. Had they released real world perfomances and released it without the pre-order stage, they probably would have sold more like 200, since people would soon become aware of these pesky performance/viewing angle restrictions and any other limitations.

I personally think dealers like Ellusionist who do not clearly state such limitations in their ad copy are dishonest and lack morals. I honestly don't know why magicians put up with such deceptive marketing.

Based on Chessman's comments, what would an honest ad have read like? "Here's a cool new gimmicked card which changes colour etc. It's facinating to play with. Do bear in mind there are some viewing angle restrictions meaning it is best performed in [whatever they are] lighting conditiions and directly to a single, or at most, several spectators directly in front of you".

Instead you get "The most amazing color chaging card in the world. You'll never need another. Will change the face of magic bla bla bla." All the important bits coincidently missing from the description.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On Jul 3, 2015, simon hughes wrote:
Surely you all know how it works by now? It can't be performed for more than one person standing stationary.

There are 5 effects, and not all of them are quite so restrictive. The blurred king effect and the coins are a bit better. Angle of presentation must be fairly precise using the coins, as you must have a clear start and end point for this effect (well, you don't *have* to...), and you must be careful not to over-do the move. The blurred king can be ok, but lighting and reflection must be carefully accounted for.

I set the king on a table about 3.5' high, standing on its short edge, face toward me. I stepped back so that the image was sharp. Then I bent my knees until my eyes were level with the card. Here, the card was completely blurry. So your audience must be on about the same eye-level if you want to start by showing the card all sharp or all blurry. If your desire is to simply a repeated back and forth change where it doesn't matter if their first view of the card is sharp or blurry, it doesn't matter how your audience is situated.

With a couple of these cards, you might be able to do an interesting dual reality. Problem is, depending on the light, you don't want people looking at these cards very long.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Mine came in today. A little earlier than expected.

What can I say?... I love it! Smile

It is exactly what I was expecting. I will definitely use the color changing card (Already tried it out on my sister and it got one of the best reactions I've gotten from a card trick from her.) The angle really isn't that hard to understand. You simply hold the card at their eye level. Lloyd has a rather simple way to get into the correct position.

I will never do the headphone one. It isn't done at eye level which means its a little harder to figure out the angle. But the chord doesn't fully vanish for me. The sweet spot is very small with this one.

I like the coin and will be using it in a show I have tonight. I will use it as part of my misers dream. Silver coins keep appearing and then the last one turns into a penny. Now all of the coins in the bucket form into one huge penny. I have a feeling it will go down great.

The angel jumping is decent. I don't know that I'll use it, but again, I feel it could work well if done the way Lloyd describes.

I will definitely use the blurred card as well as part of a pseudo hypnotism piece.

I really like the set and don't understand the disappointment. It should work great for a small group of people directly in front of you, but it is DEFINITELY useful to one on one performances.

I'll try to come back after I perform them a bit to inform you of lay peoples reactions.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3823 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Ladies and gentleman, welcome the newest addition to your junk drawer. So bad it should have been a Sans Mind release.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Maddy, hahaha! Smile

Glad to hear you'll get some use out of it, at least! At least we have some agreement on which of the lot is most workable.

We've had love it and hate it. Wonder how many "its ok" we'll see Smile

Mine is now back in the mail to Ellusionist.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Kevin Li
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Kevin Li
Just received my set as well! Very happy to say I'm pleased with the quality of the gimmmicks! Watching the instructions soon and will post a small review after that. So excited to use this Smile
"Be yourself and Stay original"
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
8254 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Jul 3, 2015, Kevin Li wrote:
Just received my set as well! Very happy to say I'm pleased with the quality of the gimmmicks! Watching the instructions soon and will post a small review after that. So excited to use this Smile

I'm not sure the quality of the product is in question but more the ability of the product to function as a magic effect. Not too good so far.
RiBo
View Profile
New user
Orando, FL
77 Posts

Profile of RiBo
Quote:
On Jul 1, 2015, Chessmann wrote:
Post-instructional thoughts:

There are no live performance videos. Hope to see some soon. Vid had some significant focus problems from time to time. None of the cards can be handed for examination (not a negative point, as I didn't expect them to be).

Blurred - could be ok, I suppose, but my card has blotches that appear near the edges of the card, all around when oriented in one way in a lighted environment. In the instructional video you can see the odd light reflection that comes off the card from time to time.

Coin Change - these come on a blank playing card, which you must cut out with scissors. Would have been better if they had been professionally cut. Maybe there's an argument against this. You get a copper/silver gaff and a heads/tails gaff. Big problem is that it is tough to represent a 3D object with a 2D object. Distance will help. Gimmick is used in combination with a real coin.

Headphone Penetration - couldn't see this one working at all. Watched the instructional vid. Went to a mirror and found the proper angle for a spec, but found it wasn't as clear as it would have been in a darker room because of all the glare coming off of the card (!). Feel that specs must ALL be viewing from the exact same height - in other words, you can't have one person sitting and the other person standing. That simply will not work.

Jumping Angels - well, I didn't expect this. In my comments above, I said that I didn't care for the Jumping Angels because the changes were so sensitive to movement. Well, the routine that is taught involves you openly showing the angel moving from back and forth from circle to circle as you do the necessary with the card. IOW, you must do what gives the method away in order to make the method work. Do your favorite switch and hand out a regular card. Daniel Madison assists with some routining ideas. No, thank you.

Red to Blue - the color-changing card. Daniel Madison assists. The effect: spec selects and signs a card. Card is turned over and openly shown to change color, back and forth, red to blue to red as you do what is necessary to effect the change. This is done rather quickly. Card is turned over onto the deck and then handed out for examination. Once again, you must do what (imho) gives the method away in order to make the method work. Quote from the instructions: "You don't have any angle issues." Well, doing it that way, that is certainly true. No, thank you.

Once again, you need to be very sensitive to how light hits the cards.

Pants.

This is all spot on. I'm pretty disappointed in these gimmicks, though I should know by now not to pre-order anything. I've liked several of Lloyd's products in the past and I think his explanations are excellent, but these gimmicks are simply too impractical to use anywhere.

My simple recommendation is to save your money.
Kevin Li
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Kevin Li
Quote:
On Jul 3, 2015, pegasus wrote:
Quote:

I'm not sure the quality of the product is in question but more the ability of the product to function as a magic effect. Not too good so far.

Actually, I do take into consideration the quality of gimmicks because if they aren't reliable or break easily, it's not something I would personally use at all. That being said, I just watched the main portion of each tutorial. Here are my thoughts:

Cord through card - like Maddy mentioned, it is very hard to get the sweet spot and it is also super ballsy. I will not be using this, but like Lloyd said on the video, it was only included as an experiment card.

Jumping Angels- Make the angels jump around. I will use this with twilight angels someday. You can even cover one of the angels and make a routine where the angel vanishes then reappears.

Color Change- By far my favorite among everything else! Showed my friends and they loved it! Not hard to get the angles down and can be performed in many different ways. Hold it up to eye level or just place it on top of the deck.

Coin Change- So you get two coin gimmicks you need to do some work before you can use it.(everything other effect comes ready out of the box) Both are half dollars. First one is changing the half dollar to an american penny or likewise and the second is a half dollar that changes from heads to tails.

Blur- Boy...this is something else... I will be playing around with this further because it has lots of potential.

Teaching is top notch as usual, coming from Elluionist.

Anyways, these are my thoughts and overall, I'm glad to have preordered this. It may not be for everyone, but hey, more change for me haha.
"Be yourself and Stay original"
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3987 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:

Teaching is top notch as usual, coming from Elluionist.

This was one aspect I didn't mention other than some aspects as to what was taught. It seemed that VERY little was spent on production values, especially for the first 3 effects in the tutorial. Of course, that doesn't affect the quality of the teaching, necessarily, but it was surprising with such a hyped release from Ellusionist.

I can't say I thought the teaching was particularly good, but that may have stemmed from the fact that I felt he/they were handicapped by the material. YMMV, naturally.

I did have one LOL moment as I watched. After one effect (can't remember which) had been run through there was some discussion about it, and I heard, "...and there are some issues...well, not really issues..." Smile
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3823 Posts

Profile of emyers99
This is just laughably bad. Seriously. The ad should have said: "Very practical...as long as your goal is to fool absolutely no one...except the idiots that preorder this."
Calvin826
View Profile
Elite user
427 Posts

Profile of Calvin826
Been thinking about something for awhile, perhaps could be applied to many effects these days, but especially this one....

Current trends seem to suggest that the more 'visual', the better the effect. I personally think that, taken to the extreme, 'visuality' is a detriment.

For example, it really don't think the color change here has anything on a well-executed Erdnase/Houdini change. The coin change isn't as good, in my opinion, as your standard spellbound change.

You need a wave of the hand, a snap of the fingers or some indication that the performer caused the magic. A lot of these new fangled visual wonders just seem more like technological accomplishments than real magic. And don't get me started on app magic....(sigh).
Slackerking
View Profile
Special user
613 Posts

Profile of Slackerking
Quote:
On Jul 3, 2015, emyers99 wrote:
This is just laughably bad. Seriously. The ad should have said: "Very practical...as long as your goal is to fool absolutely no one...except the idiots that preorder this."

Do you have the effect? No? Didn't think so. You're on almost every thread badmouthing effects, none of which you've even probably purchased.
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2676 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Having to hold the card at eye level for one person..no thanks.
emyers99
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus, Ohio
3823 Posts

Profile of emyers99
Actually Slackerking, I do saddly have this...along with 30 yrs experience. So I am more than qualified to criticize this crappy product. If you like it and want to insult your audience's intelligence, go right ahead and continue destroying magic.
Fin
View Profile
Veteran user
322 Posts

Profile of Fin
On a more positive note, and with it being 2015, I was inspired by the method of this "life changing" magic gimmick to bite the bullet and buy this!!! (see video below)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16ysdEAcMTA

I feel it was a much better use of my money and I'm quite glad I didn't respond to all the hype (which by this point in my life actually turns me OFF much more often than it turns me ON)

The angles are superb. It gets great reactions from everyone. It works beautifully in nearly all light conditions, even if spectators are sitting, standing, or lying sideways on the floor. Almost as a bonus, it wasn't preceded by the most irritating, over-hyped ad campaign of the century! All in all, it's one of the best purchases I've made in a long time. I highly recommend it.
Magic.Maddy
View Profile
Inner circle
1861 Posts

Profile of Magic.Maddy
Have I mentioned I love this?

My advice for all the haters... have a friend help you understand the angles. I had my gf help me and in about 30 minutes I had a great understanding of the angles.

I performed it for her mother much later. She was VERY amazed. She said, "Now wait a minute... wasn't that card red just a minute ago?... While you were holding it there it just slowly changed to blue... now hold on... do it again."

I asked her what she thought of the effect and she said it was amazing; she said that it was a VERY good trick.

As the saying goes, "Don't knock it till you try it." I am loving it and will definitely get use out of it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » CHANGE over @ Ellusionist (276 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11~12~13~14~15..19..22..25..28..31..33~34~35 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL